P1000 Steel top??

M

Mays

Jan 8, 2017
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looking for the pros and cons of building a steel roof? Was thinking about using 1/8 but will it be to top heavy?

rlutech

rlutech

Jan 18, 2015
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Looking for the pros and cons of building a steel roof? Was thinking about using 1/8 but will it be to top heavy?
Perhaps you would want to use aluminum to save on weight. Unless you want the armor plated look .

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've seen one with a sheet metal roof that looked good. But he built his own cage too. Building an aluminum roof is on my to do list but it's pretty far down on it lol.

Reactions: sharp
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Weight at the very top of the machine is the worst. Just consider that. Everyone has different needs though

Reactions: sharp
F

Flogrown

Sep 11, 2016
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Built mine out of 1/8 inch aluminum.cant tell a difference in handling with or with out it.it also saves a lot of money.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
1/8" steel full roof would weigh close to 200# and would be pretty overkill. One thing to check also is how wide you want it. I think the stock cage is close to 62" wide and most metals are 48" or 60" wide.

M

Mays

Jan 8, 2017
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yea I had a feeling what you guys might say because I kinda felt the same way. Well, the only thing about aluminum is it shine's so bad. I did it once before and painted it black but every tree limb would scratch it so bad. Any ideas of this?

Reactions: CumminsPusher
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Yea I had a feeling what you guys might say because I kinda felt the same way. Well, the only thing about aluminum is it shine's so bad. I did it once before and painted it black but every tree limb would scratch it so bad. Any ideas of this?
Powder coat, truck bedliner, better paint not a rattle can or a vinyl wrap.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV

You'd have to coat the steel anyways. Some paints aren't direct to metal meaning they don't adhere too well to bare metal especially aluminum so read the labels.
Spray can bed liner from Walmart is reasonable and probably be good that job but make sure the panel is sanded or scuffed well no matter what's used and use petroleum based cleaner (acetone, lacquer thinner etc) before paint

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!