P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Twice last Summer my 2018 P1K5 with 15,600 miles stalled at low RPMs under load then it started a little rough and smoked for a bit.

I started thinking it's probably getting a little tired on the top end. Then the other day I went to change the air filter and I see I have a little oil seepage coming from the bottom of the box. I haven't opened the airbox yet, gotta get some replacement screws first.

It's possible the oil could be from tipping to the drivers side last year, but when I put 2 and 2 together, it just feels like it's due.

So, in Smittys thread there was talk of having to split the case to do a top end, but it seemed to be unresolved - and then perhaps only on the 16s. All of that seems odd to me, the Africa Twin has ben around a long time.

I had one time where the filter o-ring got pinched and I dripped oil when riding. I don't know how much it lost before I noticed it and changed it. Otherwise, I've done a good job keeping up with oil changes with Rotella.

Generally, she still runs great so I'm thinking it's early stages.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Twice last Summer my 2018 P1K5 with 15,600 miles stalled at low RPMs under load then it started a little rough and smoked for a bit.

I started thinking it's probably getting a little tired on the top end. Then the other day I went to change the air filter and I see I have a little oil seepage coming from the bottom of the box. I haven't opened the airbox yet, gotta get some replacement screws first.

It's possible the oil could be from tipping to the drivers side last year, but when I put 2 and 2 together, it just feels like it's due.

So, in Smittys thread there was talk of having to split the case to do a top end, but it seemed to be unresolved - and then perhaps only on the 16s. All of that seems odd to me, the Africa Twin has ben around a long time.

I had one time where the filter o-ring got pinched and I dripped oil when riding. I don't know how much it lost before I noticed it and changed it. Otherwise, I've done a good job keeping up with oil changes with Rotella.

does it burn oil at all?

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
does it burn oil at all?
It's kind of hard to tell, honestly. That dipstick is about useless, so I've just been keeping up with oil changes and assuming it's OK. I'll try to monitor it now and see if it looks like it's using oil.

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Any backfiring through the intake or exhaust?

Reactions: JenElio
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
It's kind of hard to tell, honestly. That dipstick is about useless, so I've just been keeping up with oil changes and assuming it's OK. I'll try to monitor it now and see if it looks like it's using oil.
Do an oil and filters change (6qts. 3.2oz, same for P1K and Talon, I round up to 6qts. 4oz), run long enough to saturate the filters, let sit overnight, check your oil level cold. You decide whether you want to do that with the dipstick screwed in or sitting on top of the threads (per Honda). Now you know exactly where your full oil level is without using Honda's laughably unrepeatable process. And now you can check your oil anytime, without starting, warming up, letting sit for 2-3 minutes - WTF?!?!

Don't use my photo, get your own baseline, sitting flat where you'll always be checking it.
I Jv4qKHq X2

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Any backfiring through the intake or exhaust?
No issues there. The only rough starts were after the two stalls. Both times poking along uphill. Neither time did I really "lug" it. I was working well above that threshold.

Reactions: JenElio and Jerryg
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Do an oil and filters change (6qts. 3.2oz, same for P1K and Talon, I round up to 6qts. 4oz), run long enough to saturate the filters, let sit overnight, check your oil level cold...
Yeah, I'll do that. The other thing I hate about that dipstick (and the oil fill) is how easy it is to get dirt in your case when opening them.

I clean everything off best I can, but it's still not ideal. I'm assuming anything that makes its way in there will get caught in the filter first, but..

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Do a compression check.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Yeah, I'll do that. The other thing I hate about that dipstick (and the oil fill) is how easy it is to get dirt in your case when opening them.

I clean everything off best I can, but it's still not ideal. I'm assuming anything that makes its way in there will get caught in the filter first, but..
I use a can of brake cleaner to hose the area off as well as I can ... but ... :oops:

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I'll have my engine guy check compression when we evaluate it next month. If it needs top end work, I'll have him doing it.

And what's this about alcohol?
If you have a too high amount of alcohol in your fuel, such as E85, it will give you similar symptoms.

Briggs & Stratton sells a little beaker with lines on it. You put your fuel to the line it says, then add water to the line it says. You shake and the water will mix with the alcohol and change the fuel line. It will give you a percentage of alcohol. Anything more than 10% alcohol can give you an issue.

Last edited:
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X

if it isn’t burning oil, runs fine 99.999999% of the time - ain’t smoking - I’d call it good

I’ve had the same thing happen to various FI sxs’s over the years - once every now and then - stupid stall, shut off - go wtf - start back up and go

these are still mechanical gizmos - over the zillions of cycles and fuel injectors and stuff firing - who knows

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If the compression checks good. Have you changed the plugs? Worth a try. Cheap fix if it works. Try some injector clean and run it for a while. Never know.
Good thoughts. I never have changed the plugs and that could actually have caused the slow stalls. I'll get some injector cleaner.

I was planning on having the engine guy check compression because I think my compression tester got ruined by water.

Anyway, I get into "worst case scenario" mode sometimes, and you guys have given me some hope.

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Good thoughts. I never have changed the plugs and that could actually have caused the slow stalls. I'll get some injector cleaner.

I was planning on having the engine guy check compression because I think my compression tester got ruined by water.

Anyway, I get into "worst case scenario" mode sometimes, and you guys have given me some hope.
Yeah, you should definitely get rid of that junk............ I'll give ya $6,969.69 for it cash......Final offer😉

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!