Steering rack and inner tie rod upgrades???

Toyota_Tech

Toyota_Tech

Jul 21, 2021
Olive Branch, MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just bent my right inner tie rod like a paper clip on a ride Sunday. Does anyone know of stronger upgrades or am I kinda stuck with stock replacements? Iam about to up size my tires again since installing my portals but now I have to fix this rack or replace it.

21’ 1000-5 SE
CATVOS 3” Lift arms
SATV 4” 30% portals
31” BKT’s
Looking at 34.5” tire up

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Just bent my right inner tie rod like a paper clip on a ride Sunday. Does anyone know of stronger upgrades or am I kinda stuck with stock replacements? Iam about to up size my tires again since installing my portals but now I have to fix this rack or replace it.

21’ 1000-5 SE
CATVOS 3” Lift arms
SATV 4” 30% portals
31” BKT’s
Looking at 34.5” tire up
Tie rod or rack? Or both? What I've read if you upgrade your tie rods, the next weak link is the steering rack. You can buy a bunch of tie rods for the cost of a steering rack.

Toyota_Tech

Toyota_Tech

Jul 21, 2021
Olive Branch, MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Tie rod or rack? Or both? What I've read if you upgrade your tie rods, the next weak link is the steering rack. You can buy a bunch of tie rods for the cost of a steering rack.
The inner tie rod bent a lot. We were able to bend back enough on the trail to easy it out but it kept trying to bend again. I haven’t taken it off yet to inspect the rack yet.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The inner tie rod bent a lot. We were able to bend back enough on the trail to easy it out but it kept trying to bend again. I haven’t taken it off yet to inspect the rack yet.
I have bent 3 and never damaged the rack. I think most guys use them as the sacrificial link? When I bent the three I hit something with the wheel turned.

Toyota_Tech

Toyota_Tech

Jul 21, 2021
Olive Branch, MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know how I did it but didn’t even feel it…Trying to turn going down hill on a “y” turn making what should of been a 3 or 4 point turn. The ground was rutted and the tires were bitting too much as I was trying to move when turning. Ok well if this is the normal I will just order a couple tie rods to keep on hand.

Reactions: TripleB
TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I know how I did it but didn’t even feel it…Trying to turn going down hill on a “y” turn making what should of been a 3 or 4 point turn. The ground .as rutted and the tires were bitting too much as I was trying to move when turning. Ok well if this is the normal I will just order a couple tie rods to keep on hand.
It's normal. Just carry extra tie rods on the trail. It's 15 minute fix after u do it a few times. Or spend $750 on a RB3 rack and I think $250 on superatv tie rods. This would probably be you're best bet since you're going big on tires.

• Haha
Reactions: Smitty335
GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
I have welded $5.00 steel sleeves over my inner tie rods after my daughter bent the forth one and destroyed the CV shaft (running portals) that was over 3,000 miles ago no problems here.

Or you can buy Super ATV's upgraded tie rods its your money

• Haha
Reactions: Smitty335

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!