stiff steering

Springer

Springer

Apr 2, 2014
Ever since we rode at Windrock my steering has been really stiff. Is it possible that i got mud or water in the rack and pinion unit? I noticed there is a rubber cover where the steering shaft goes into the unit. That cover is very loose and could allow water ans stuff to get in there.
Anybody have an ideas about what could be happening, or perhaps an adjustment to loosen it up?

TandT

TandT

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2013
Newark, Ohio
Ownership

1. 700-4
If the rubber seal is loose, it's possible that water and mud got into it. Can you get some grease into it?

Springer

Springer

Apr 2, 2014
It seems to be full of grease right to the top. The dust cover on it fits very loosely. I should add that it is not grinding at all, just really stiff like the gears are pressed together really hard. There is a large nut on the rear side with a bolt in the center of it and i assume it is there to adjust the gear lash. I am going to loosen it up and see if that helps at all.

Springer

Springer

Apr 2, 2014
I think i figured it out. The front upper ball joints have a very poor rubber boot on them. I think the water crossings at Windrock got the joints good and wet, and started to rust a bit. When i turn the wheels or compress the suspension they will crack and pop. I sprayed wd40 in them and they freed up a bit, so i decided to drill a very small hole in the top of the joint and sprayed wd40 lithium grease in one of them as a test. Has anyone ever had this happen before? If you jack up the front end till the tires come off the grou d and look at the boot, there is a 1/2 inch gap between the boot and the mating surface

allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
jack it up like that again and take a grease gun with a needle fitting on it and fill the boot full of grease. I made a "greaser" from a needle that is used to fill basketballs/ footballs and a few plumbing fittings to adapt to my grease gun and have always used it on my 98 foreman every time I changed the oil in the motor and i have never had to change a ball joint or tie rod end.

TandT

TandT

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2013
Newark, Ohio
Ownership

1. 700-4
Glad that you found an easy fix. I'll have to take a good look at mine, Thanks.

scott

scott

Lifetime Member
May 16, 2014
lyman, South Carolina
I know it's not helping your issue but I have found a great way to make the steering easier. I ran 9" wide tires on all four corners. It's like having power steering worlds of difference. If you don't ride in mud a lot it's super nice. My future plan is to get 27x9x12 on all four to run about 85% of the time and buy two 27x11x12 and leave on my stock rear rims, and just put them on before I leave home when I know I'm going to be hitting muddy trails. I just bought two stock front rims from a friend to run on rear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lynn

Lynn

Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Yakima,WA
I have two thoughts here . Why and how are your ball joints getting water in them? I've owned a 2004 rancher with 4500miles,2008 Ruicon with 5500 miles and my 2014 Pioneer and I've never had to lube the ball joints or have any problem. I think there is something wrong, that shouldn't happen. Then to Scott I like your idea about your tires and rims, makes sense to me.

Springer

Springer

Apr 2, 2014
I have two thoughts here . Why and how are your ball joints getting water in them? I've owned a 2004 rancher with 4500miles,2008 Ruicon with 5500 miles and my 2014 Pioneer and I've never had to lube the ball joints or have any problem. I think there is something wrong, that shouldn't happen. Then to Scott I like your idea about your tires and rims, makes sense to me.
Might have been from power washing them. Ever since I lubed them up they have been fine.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!