Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Now... are you ready for more confusion...
Seeing you are concerned with the bulge you noticed.
You have alot to think about here... And I am bound to get myself confused too.

BUT... Once you stick those wheels and tires on your 1000 the front set will be 1/2" to 1" wider than the rears. This is due to the offset and wheel size differences. 6.5 vs 7 and 7.5 vs 7. You won't even notice... lol.

Now, a 8" wheel would fix this but if you stick with the same size tire on all 4 it will make it shorter and wider then the fronts.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Now... are you ready for more confusion...
Seeing you are concerned with the bulge you noticed.
You have alot to think about here... And I am bound to get myself confused too.

BUT... Once you stick those wheels and tires on your 1000 the front set will be 1/2" to 1" wider than the rears. This is due to the offset and wheel size differences. 6.5 vs 7 and 7.5 vs 7. You won't even notice... lol.

Now, a 8" wheel would fix this but if you stick with the same size tire on all 4 it will make it shorter and wider then the fronts.

Geez... Geez... Geez... LOL

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Is a bulge good? My way of thinking is the tire is more vulnerable to rocks (which I hit and have plenty of in the mountains) and could side rupture.

Same time it protects the rim???

Is my thinking correct?

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Ok ok ok LMAO! If you were me (and secretly we know you want to be) what would YOU buy?

Size wise

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
lol... I am having the same debate with my self as a tire/wheel combo is on my short term list.
Should I stick to the deluxe wheels or buy different ones?
Should I buy all 4 tires the same size or (say 10") or go with the 9 and 11 combo.
Should I go with a 28" tall or jump to 30 and maybe need a lift kit?

Lets say I was you.
I would choose a 12x7 wheel with a 5-2 offset on a tire of your choice. thats what I did on my 700. I have a post somewhere.

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
As long as the overall height front-rear match and it's not a negative offset like front wheel drives have where the face of the rim sits to the outside your good. The only difference between front to rear of the pioneer is width but the front hubs sit further out then the rear so the same wheel all the way around will result in the front wheels out as well. You could get around that by adding spacers to the rear so they'd all be the same.

When did you learn to speak Latin? Cuz that's what all that was to me.. :)

Buying tires for my Duramax which so much simpler..

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Ya.. CP is speaking about the fronts being wider stance then the rears if you go with the same size wheel on all 4

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
lol... I am having the same debate with my self as a tire/wheel combo is on my short term list.
Should I stick to the deluxe wheels or buy different ones?
Should I buy all 4 tires the same size or (say 10") or go with the 9 and 11 combo.
Should I go with a 28" tall or jump to 30 and maybe need a lift kit?

Lets say I was you.
I would choose a 12x7 wheel with a 5-2 offset on a tire of your choice. thats what I did on my 700. I have a post somewhere.

Well I already have the tires. So less thought process there. And I like your idea of all the same size to rotate with. Plus it's just "cleaner" in my brain.

So as long as the 27-9 and 27-11 will fit on a 12x7 5-2 I will start looking. With a 136/137 pattern!

Now the big question. Are the 12x7 5-2 what's on theres now, front or rear? Meaning will the front bulge like the 10's do now?

Dealer offered a fatter tire on rear but I
opted all same tire for upgrade. I like all the same plus a skinny tire digs better than a fat one.

I'm not really sure why anyone wants a fat rear wheel. It's not a dragster :)

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Fat tires for flotation. All depends on the terrain you drive. Digging=stuck. If I buy a 500 it will have 11" all around.

Your going to switch the tires right? Put the 28"s on the aftermarket wheels?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
When did you learn to speak Latin? Cuz that's what all that was to me.. :)

Buying tires for my Duramax which so much simpler..
Yes. But it would be back to this scenario with let's say a corvette or a sports car. If you put rear wheels on the front of a corvette you couldn't make it out of your driveway.

Reactions: Plumber101010
Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Even more confusing now. Noticed they are non beedlock

Googled the diff. As usual... Some say don't need while others say it's a must or mud or dirt can get between the rim and tire.

Honestly I thought ALL tires had to be a beedlock. If not how does it hold air and what stops it from just rolling off the rim?

Update: ok I got it confused. I thought bead WAS a beadlock. Bead is the regular way any tire is mounted. Beadlock is something special that keeps it against rim of pressure is to low.

So I think I answered my own question. Beadlock not needed :)

Last edited:
Reactions: joeymt33
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
You havent' posted any beadlock wheels!
A beadlock holds the tire edge to the rim via a claim (or beadlock) so it want bust off or spin when running very low pressure.

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is a little off topic, but I talked to a rep at a rock bouncing event that I was at and they were racing sxs on the same corse as the bouncers. Come to find out he was from Mickey Thompson and getting opinions and thoughts about tires. It also just so happened that he was staying at the same hotel we were. He saw my p1k and foreman covered with about 400lbs of pure tennessee mud and after a few beers in the parking lot he said Mickey Thompson is getting in the sxs market like many of other known off road companies. He said that they are working on the ultimate sxs tire. He asked me about rocktains bighorn itp etc. I told him as much as I could and even mention this forum for info. So according to him the best sxs tire is about to hit the market soon. I guess well just have to wait and see!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!