P1000 Stinger Relay Frozen

OnTheJob

OnTheJob

Dec 29, 2017
Bristol, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I was plowing this morning and it was only about 5 degrees. After I was done, I left the machine out in the driveway, waiting for the town plow to go by so I could clean up the end of the driveway, again. So a couple hours later, I started her up and and I couldn’t get power to my accessory panel. Long story short, after checking connections with a multimeter I determined the Stinger relay was either shot or frozen. I hit it with a heat gun for a couple minutes and bam, it was working again. Just a heads up for cold climate guys. Anyone else experience this?

Last edited:
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was plowing this morning at it was only about 5 degrees. After I was done, I left the machine out in the drive waiting for the town plow to go by so I could clean up the end of the driveway, again. So a couple hours later, I started her up and and I couldn’t get power to my accessory panel. Long story short, after checking connections with a multimeter I determined the Stinger relay was shot or frozen. Hit it with a heat gun for a couple minutes and bam it was working again. Just a heads up for cold climate guys. Anyone else experience this?
Kind of make me want to smash one open to see what is inside, and why it would freeze?
It is very similar to the one I used on Western snow plows back in the day. They were usually underhood though, so engine heat would keep it warm.
Wonder if it got water in it somehow and that froze?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Just looked it up because I was curious.
It says its "water resistant" according to the stinger website.

So I guess it could freeze.

Thanks for the PSA.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

RedFred1

RedFred1

Aug 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-3
It is just a high current electro mechanical relay with heavy duty contacts and a coil. Nothing special inside. If you get water intrusion, put your heat gun on it for a while to drive out the moisture then douse it with silicone spray.

Most of the high current continuous duty solenoids do say water resistant, so it could happen to any of them.

FredD

Last edited:
OnTheJob

OnTheJob

Dec 29, 2017
Bristol, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Went down to -7 degrees and it did again. There was light snow under the hood both times. This time I only hit it with the heat gun for 20 seconds and it started working again immediately. What a pain. It only does it when it sits for a couple hours. Any suggestions? I am considering a different one because I won't always have access to power a heat gun.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Went down to -7 degrees and it did again. There was light snow under the hood both times. This time I only hit it with the heat gun for 20 seconds and it started working again immediately. What a pain. It only does it when it sits for a couple hours. Any suggestions? I am considering a different one because I won't always have access to power a heat gun.
Maybe consider a legit Automotive style solenoid/relay?

This is rated at 65a continuous
https://www.amazon.com/Cole-Hersee-24059-BP-Insulated-Continuous/dp/B0064MX7US/?tag=sxsweb24-20
This is identical as above, except marine rated.
https://www.amazon.com/Cole-Hersee-24117-01-BP-Continuous-Solenoid/dp/B001Q8KONI/?tag=sxsweb24-20

This is rated at 200a continuous
https://www.amazon.com/Cole-Hersee-24213-Continuous-Solenoid/dp/B005K2429I/?tag=sxsweb24-20

This style relay is commonly used on 12v hydraulic pumps to run the motor while in use. If my china stinger starts to fail, I will definitely install a better relay/solenoid.

Last edited:
RedFred1

RedFred1

Aug 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-3
There are many good options... look at the following items to find one that fits your bill:

1. Form Factor - what kind of space do you have? Where are your connections, top, bottom? How many wires (connections) does it take and do you want/need a grounded base.

2. Current rating - what is the max current you are trying to switch? Be sure to get one that has a higher capability than you think you need... you can go 2X or 3X the anticipated load to save on the contacts and provide longer wear.

3. Duty rating - be sure to get a continuous duty solenoid.

when you replace your old one, I would send it back to Stinger and tell them your issue... they may replace it gratis! You never know if you don’t try and many companies will do great things for their customers if given a chance.

FredD

Reactions: OnTheJob
RedFred1

RedFred1

Aug 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-3
4926EF23 2D49 46C5 8949 FD64E43FAD85

This one looks good and is sealed..

SOLENOID 12 Volt Continous Duty Coated Marine, Winch, Golf Cart

OnTheJob

OnTheJob

Dec 29, 2017
Bristol, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I emailed Stinger technical support and they got right back to me in just a few hours. They said it should not be doing that asked more questions about the circumstances that it is occurring and where/when I bought it. I went out and tried the Stinger relay again after it had been in the barn (not heated) that day, when it was 3 degrees out and it was frozen. Quick hit with the heat gun and it was working again in like 15-20 seconds. I let them know it happened a 3rd time. Today is the last day of cold weather for us. It'll be raining and in the 40's on Wednesday. Upstate, NY: If you don't like the weather wait 10 minutes. Winters can be anywhere from -10 to 50+. Summer can be anywhere from 60 to 100 with 100% humidity.

OnTheJob

OnTheJob

Dec 29, 2017
Bristol, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Stinger said: "Hey John, I have spoken with customer solutions and unfortunately your part is out of the warranty time period so they cant cover this claim for you. I do apologize for the inconvenience."

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001HC6UJ0/?tag=sxsweb24-20

80 AMP Relay and Isolator - Stinger

I purchased it January 11, 2018. I reported the issue started January 13, 2019. I would no longer recommend guys use this product for our application, at least not in regions where it can get damp and freeze. I'll be looking into something heavy duty as a replacement.

Reactions: BWAF
advertisement
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Stinger said: "Hey John, I have spoken with customer solutions and unfortunately your part is out of the warranty time period so they cant cover this claim for you. I do apologize for the inconvenience."

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001HC6UJ0/?tag=sxsweb24-20

80 AMP Relay and Isolator - Stinger

I purchased it January 11, 2018. I reported the issue started January 13, 2019. I would no longer recommend guys use this product for our application, at least not in regions where it can get damp and freeze. I'll be looking into something heavy duty as a replacement.
Good to see people stand behind their products........
Consider the Cole Hersee stuff. It is at least domestically engineered, and a tried and true design. They have some marine rated stuff we linked earlier in the thread.

RedFred1

RedFred1

Aug 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-3
7D4788E2 DE42 4FF9 9E92 6CED690468DB

That is sad... glad I did not use that product. I used a tyco cube relay for the few items I have wired up. 75 amp continuous, 150 amp surge.

Reactions: Neohio
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@OnTheJob
Did they mention how long their warranty is?
I checked their website, nothing listed that I could find.
If you do FB, Maybe leave a review of the company?
Stinger

Reactions: RedFred1
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a stinger relay sitting on my bench. Seemed like everybody was using them when I started finding parts for my fuse box installation. Once I got it and laid out the setup, I thought an 80amp relay was more than adequate and I tied my switches to the ignition fuse rather than the fuse box.

OnTheJob

OnTheJob

Dec 29, 2017
Bristol, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Update: Just now it is 23 degrees in the barn and the Stinger was frozen.

The warranty is one year. Missed it by two days.

I like a relay to be able switch the accessories off/on depending on key on/key off.

I offered the defective Stinger to them for an autopsy.

Reactions: GlockMeister
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
2 days? Really? So much for a customer service agent being able to bend the rules for customer happiness.

Reactions: Mudwing and Landman
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
2 days? Really? So much for a customer service agent being able to bend the rules for customer happiness.

Mic Tuning did the same thing for me. 6 month warranty. Both of my voltmeters burned up a week out of warranty. Electronics warranties seem to be poor at best

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Mic Tuning did the same thing for me. 6 month warranty. Both of my voltmeters burned up a week out of warranty. Electronics warranties seem to be poor at best

There is a huge difference between consumer electronics (lowest bid out of china most the time) and automotive stuff.
I'm sure the stuff you are used to seeing is a good level above that - but I am hoping we don't need radiation hardened where I ride.
I remeber when I was in high school the neighbor raced SCCA, all his switch gear was from caterpillar.
And he was on a tear to get all the Lucas out!

Would be interesting to see a list of switches & relays that where the next grade up.
Not really my area of expertise .

Reactions: JACKAL
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There is a huge difference between consumer electronics (lowest bid out of china most the time) and automotive stuff.
I'm sure the stuff you are used to seeing is a good level above that - but I am hoping we don't need radiation hardened where I ride.
I remeber when I was in high school the neighbor raced SCCA, all his switch gear was from caterpillar.

Would be interesting to see a list of switches & relays that where the next grade up.

I haven't gone too expensive on switches but I did use a Cooper Bussmann relay box for good reason and it was worth the money over the blue sea junk that is more commonly used.

Reactions: JACKAL and lee
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I haven't gone too expensive on switches but I did use a Cooper Bussmann relay box for good reason and it was worth the money over the blue sea junk that is more commonly used.

All of the China/Mictuning/Amazon switches are cheap horrible clones of Carling Technologies V-series switches.
If one spends the time to spec out the switches on Mouser, Digikey etc. They work out to be roughly the same price minus the custom actuator labelling.
Any large recognized automotive supplier/manufacturer will more than likely be decent quality.
I dug a bit on the stinger website. They appear to cater to stereo systems. So more than likely, all the parts and pieces will be enclosed in the cabin/trunk of the vehicle where water may not be an issue.
I believe @RedFred1 is an EE. He may be able to offer his thoughts as well. I noticed he used a Tyco branded relay on his build. They are another large name in Automation and Electronics.

Reactions: JACKAL
advertisement