P1000 Stinger Relay Frozen

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
tyco is good too but all really best thing on a quad or utv is water proof, water resistant doesn't have to mean any more than just a cover over the coil
they have waterproof 40a relays with plugs and pigtails on amazon for 20 to 30 bucks, that's what I would get

RedFred1

RedFred1

Aug 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I chose my part based on IP rating... That Tyco is rated IP67... second best water ingress protection rating. Electrical devices will generally have an IP rating...

Ingress Protection (IP) and what it means
The IP Code (or International Protection Rating, sometimes also interpreted as Ingress Protection Rating*) consists of the letters IP followed by two digits and an optional letter. As defined in international standard IEC 60529, it classifies the degrees of protection provided against the intrusion of solid objects (including body parts like hands and fingers), dust, accidental contact, and water in electrical enclosures. The standard aims to provide users more detailed information than vague marketing terms such as waterproof.

Here is a chart that explains and shows IP ratings.
http://www.dsmt.com/resources/ip-rating-chart/

If you are concerned about water ingress, be sure to look at the product specification sheet before you purchase. Often times you will need to visit the actual manufacturers website to find the information you want.

The folks at AAMPGlobal, who make Stinger products, have not gotten back to me with a spec sheet or warranty information. I generally stay away from products by manufacturers who do not post this type of information for everyone to access.

I did find this statement on their website...

AAMP Global Warranty Policy

Unless otherwise noted below, products sold by AAMP Global under the American International, Best Kit, EchoMaster, iSimple, PAC, Phoenix Gold, and Stinger brand names carry a one-year warranty for Manufacturer defect. AAMP’s warranty is for credit or replacement of product except where otherwise noted and does not cover installation or other costs associated with replacement or exchange. Abuse or misuse of product voids all warranties.

FredD

Reactions: OnTheJob and Neohio
77TOY

77TOY

Jan 19, 2019
America
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Being in Alaska, on an island, I am always driving through water (well above the axles) I call it my trail boat. All my electrical accessories utalize marine grade wiring and relay is PVC coated and 85 AMP rated picked up at the local marine store. Never had any issues with it.

Reactions: RedFred1
OnTheJob

OnTheJob

Dec 29, 2017
Bristol, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Good info. For the record, my machine has never been in more than 3 inches of water, crossing a creek at 2 mph. There is no way the Stinger was hit with water or rain where it was mounted. Some light snow got blown under the hood so maybe melted snow moisture that got in the Stinger causing it freeze? Pretty lame. Today it is 46 degrees and no issues with the Stinger switching my panel on.

I will be replacing it with a waterproof one. I haven't decided which one. I have an extra MotoAlliance winch relay I could probably use. It would be overkill but it's just sitting in a box on a shelf in the barn.

Thanks for all the input.

RedFred1

RedFred1

Aug 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-3
[HASHTAG]#RedFred1[/HASHTAG] How many continuous amps you think this will handle? Some web pages say 65 amps and others 85 amps

It says it is a direct replacement for a Cole Hersee 24213-bx which is rated for 200 amps... I am waiting for their response on a catalog cut sheet from the other day. If I get a catalog sheet I will post it here...

The cole hersee is $44+. it is also not sealed like that one.

FredD

Reactions: OnTheJob
OnTheJob

OnTheJob

Dec 29, 2017
Bristol, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
It says it is a direct replacement for a Cole Hersee 24213-bx which is rated for 200 amps... I am waiting for their response on a catalog cut sheet from the other day. If I get a catalog sheet I will post it here...

FredD
I saw them call the sealed one a 24117. I'll await your results before making a decision

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I saw them call the sealed one a 24117. I'll await your results before making a decision
What I have learned about ratings in the USA, is there is usually a big safety factor calculated into them. Not to mention much better quality control than the Stinger brand. I would be confident running that in my own rig. And chances are, if mine gives me a headache, it will get replaced with a Cole Hersee marine rated unit.

OnTheJob

OnTheJob

Dec 29, 2017
Bristol, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
What I have learned about ratings in the USA, is there is usually a big safety factor calculated into them. Not to mention much better quality control than the Stinger brand. I would be confident running that in my own rig. And chances are, if mine gives me a headache, it will get replaced with a Cole Hersee marine rated unit.
Good to know. In retrospect, not impressed with Stinger. I hope others don't go that same path, if they are in a cold climate. I know a lot did because of what we said here.

Last edited:
Reactions: ToddACimer
advertisement
RedFred1

RedFred1

Aug 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-3

FredD

I talked to DBelectric… There is no cut sheet or spec sheet available... it is a part modeled after the Cole Hersee 24213-bx by a Chinese manufacturer. He said use those specs for your guidelines.

I expressed my concern about no technical info being available... nothing...

Looks like a good product, but so does the stinger... I guess you place your bet and take your chances.

FredD

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looks like Cole Hersee only offers 3 marine rated solenoids.
Capture35

Drill it down further to Continous duty, and 12v leaves the 24117.
Capture36

~$30 on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Cole-Hersee-24117-01-BP-Continuous-Solenoid/dp/B001Q8KONI/?tag=sxsweb24-20

RedFred1

RedFred1

Aug 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Here are the spec sheet and the install guide for the Stinger... notice how it just says water resistant? Not an IP rated device.

Stinger Install Stinger Specs

FredD

OnTheJob

OnTheJob

Dec 29, 2017
Bristol, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Reactions: Neohio
77TOY

77TOY

Jan 19, 2019
America
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I might be running my relay different than most. It looks like as per the stinger diagram they are using at as an isolator?

I am using this as an isolator between primary and secondary battery.
UTV-SBI-18 Isolator with PEP® - TrueAm Dual Battery Isolator System

Then the 85 amp relay between the seconday battery and my accessory fuse panel. ALL accessories after market (lights, radio, winch etc) run off secondary battery. If a draw more accessories power than what the stator can put out, the isolator opens, the machine/stator run the ECU, ignition, EPS, etc until the load is reduced on accessories (stop winching, turn of lights) then the isolator closes and the stator recharges the second battery again. My ECU/ignition voltage never drops below 12.5 volts no mater what accessories I’m running.

1. When the engine is running and the charging source raises the voltage of the start battery to 13.4 volts* (cut in threshold), the True Smart Battery Isolator (SBI) engages and connects the two batteries to charge simultaneously. The SBI's internal LED will glow blue.

2. When all voltage sources drops below 12.9 volts* (cut out threshold) the SBI will disengage and the blue LED will go out.

3. When the SBI LED is out the batteries are separated thus preventing the power of your start battery from being drained by use of the accessories powered from the second battery.

4. When the vehicle is restarted and the start battery has recharged to 13.4 volts* the SBI engages, the LED will illuminate and the second battery is connected to receive charging.

The 85 amp relay to fuse box is controlled by ignition key. That way I can never forget to turn off lights, radio etc if I turn off the machine saving a dead battery.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jim0311
advertisement