Multi Street legal?

Bradley-Thornton

Bradley-Thornton

Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Hattiesburg MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have researched this thoroughly. Even though I could get a tag from South Dakota, it is still illegal to operate on the road in Mississippi. The title still sais off-road only. The only way to be legal is to have the title reclassified as a motorcycle, then get a Mississippi motorcycle tag. That is a fact... I gave up for now.

You can ride South Dakotas tag in MS. I live in MS. And my registration doesn't say off-road only. I did mine through Dirtleagel.com How they did it I don't know. But when I asked what speed road I could ride I was told if I can do the speed I'm good even HWYs.

IMG 5537 2

D

DDDonkey

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 29, 2017
AZ
Wow, and this is why I love AZ, I pay $50 a year for my off road tag and on road tag, then it is just having DOT tires (got pulled over for that one), horn, reflectors (for night driving) and eye protection. Here they register SxS's as motorcycles (on road), so no turn signals needed just hand signals.

William

William

If you ain’t first, you’re last...
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You can ride South Dakotas tag in MS. I live in MS. And my registration doesn't say off-road only. I did mine through Dirtleagel.com How they did it I don't know. But when I asked what speed road I could ride I was told if I can do the speed I'm good even HWYs.

View attachment 215422
What does your title say? Mine said off road only...

William

William

If you ain’t first, you’re last...
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What does your title say? Mine said off road only...
I take that back... It sais utility vehicle... But nowhere does it say off-road only... Hmmm. @Bradley-Thornton have you been stopped by a policeman or lady yet? I just don’t want to waste my money if I’m going to get harassed for it...

Bradley-Thornton

Bradley-Thornton

Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Hattiesburg MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I take that back... It sais utility vehicle... But nowhere does it say off-road only... Hmmm. @Bradley-Thornton have you been stopped by a policeman or lady yet? I just don’t want to waste my money if I’m going to get harassed for it...

I live in Hattiesburg so its one of the bigger cities I would think it would make it easier to get stopped. To date I have not been pulled over. I have seen some cops and they haven't said anything yet. I have a friend the is a sheriff and he says I'm good to go.

Will update if anything changes.

Reactions: CID and William
Bradley-Thornton

Bradley-Thornton

Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Hattiesburg MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I went by the police station today no problems I did have one cop today hit his brakes but he was passing I thing once he seen I had a tag he just kept going.

I would like to add I have my windshield up like in this pic. I would think if they were going to pull me over it would be for that.

IMG 5626

Reactions: William and TripleB
Amre2me2

Amre2me2

Aug 11, 2016
Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Here in Colorado, at least a few counties are issuing tickets to SxS owners if you have a CO. drivers license and an out of state (South Dakota) license plate.

This is the quote on Dirtlegal.com website: “Your UTV will be registered with an out of state license plate, it’s advised to check with your local county to ensure this won’t be an issue.“

Here in CO., it’s an issue! Highly advise you check with any county you plan on riding in because this is how they stopped us here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mudwing
BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here in Colorado, at least a few counties are issuing tickets to SxS owners if you have a CO. drivers license and an out of state (South Dakota) license plate.

This is the quote on Dirtlegal.com website: “Your UTV will be registered with an out of state license plate, it’s advised to check with your local county to ensure this won’t be an issue.“

Here in CO., it’s an issue! Highly advise you check with any county you plan on riding in because this is how they stopped us here.
States get money from veh reg, therefore they want as many veh as possible to be reg with them. Odds are, in La. you would not get by with operating a veh licensed in SD for very long. Around a larger city, yeah maybe a little while. In a more rural area, the LEOs living/working that area will notice it to be strange in short order and make a stop. After a warning period to reg in LA, charges would follow. Additionally, even when legal, UTV have very LIMITED use of public roads in LA.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mudwing
BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I live in Hattiesburg so its one of the bigger cities I would think it would make it easier to get stopped. To date I have not been pulled over. I have seen some cops and they haven't said anything yet. I have a friend the is a sheriff and he says I'm good to go.

Will update if anything changes.
Sounds like some LEOs around there are not very familiar with Mississippi laws.

Out-of-State Titles

35.VII.06.17 Mississippi Administrative Code
Part 7, Subpart 6, Chapter17
100When a Motor Vehicle enters this State from a Title State and application is made for Mississippi Certificate of Title, the original out-of-state title or transferable duplicate (replacement) title, properly assigned, must be provided. Affidavit of lost title, used in some states, will not be accepted in lieu of the above.

Even out of state owners have to have to fork out to MS.
Out-of-State Owned Motor Vehicles

35.VII.06.9 Mississippi Administrative Code
Part 7, Subpart 6, Chapter9
100Motor Vehicles owned by out-of-state owners that are domiciled or garaged in this State and are required to purchase a Mississippi Road and Bridge Privilege License are to be titles under Title Law. The address shown on the application for title must be the Mississippi address where garaged or domiciled.

Bradley-Thornton

Bradley-Thornton

Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Hattiesburg MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sounds like some LEOs around there are not very familiar with Mississippi laws.

Out-of-State Titles

35.VII.06.17 Mississippi Administrative Code
Part 7, Subpart 6, Chapter17
100When a Motor Vehicle enters this State from a Title State and application is made for Mississippi Certificate of Title, the original out-of-state title or transferable duplicate (replacement) title, properly assigned, must be provided. Affidavit of lost title, used in some states, will not be accepted in lieu of the above.

Even out of state owners have to have to fork out to MS.
Out-of-State Owned Motor Vehicles

35.VII.06.9 Mississippi Administrative Code
Part 7, Subpart 6, Chapter9
100Motor Vehicles owned by out-of-state owners that are domiciled or garaged in this State and are required to purchase a Mississippi Road and Bridge Privilege License are to be titles under Title Law. The address shown on the application for title must be the Mississippi address where garaged or domiciled.

Its almost like you want me to get in trouble. I'm not out being stupid. Just using it like a jeep. I have blinkers, horn, Safety flashers, set belts, doors, DOT tires, Side mirrors, and rearview. No reason for me not to be able to ride it on the street. The only thing I don't have is a DOT windshield. I really don't see why that would be a problem if its plastic, as long as its not glass. The one thing I have that I shouldn't is bead lockers.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Its almost like you want me to get in trouble. I'm not out being stupid. Just using it like a jeep. I have blinkers, horn, Safety flashers, set belts, doors, DOT tires, Side mirrors, and rearview. No reason for me not to be able to ride it on the street. The only thing I don't have is a DOT windshield. I really don't see why that would be a problem if its plastic, as long as its not glass. The one thing I have that I shouldn't is bead lockers.
LOL ...... no, I have no desire for you to get in trouble. THAT is why I have attempted to let you know the truth. If you wish to ignore, that is fine with me. Since I KNOW the truth, I feel obligated to let others know so THEY may avoid any problem or waste their money.

The below info is for OTHERS knowledge @William ...... lol
Do I need to title/register an ATV? Utility Vehicle? Golf Cart? Motorized Scooters, Mini-Bikes, Dirt Bikes, Go-Karts, Motor Assisted Bicycles?
In Mississippi ATV’s are voluntarily titled but they are not issued a license plate (registered.) It is unlawful for any person to operate these vehicles on an interstate highway, federal highway or state highway, or in the corporate limits of any city unless authorized by such city. Please contact your local authorities and property owners for information about operation of these devices on private property.

I’m moving to Mississippi. How long do I have before I have to get a Mississippi tag?
You have 30 days to register your vehicle(s) in Mississippi if you have a current registration (license plate) in your prior state of residence. If you do not register within 30 days of moving into this state, you will be charged the standard late fees and a $250 penalty. You will not be allowed the Legislative Tag Credit if your previous license plate has expired, or, if you never registered the vehicle in your prior state of residence.

How do I report someone for not having the right license plate, such as the wrong county or an out-of-state plate?
You should report this violation to your county Tax Collector’s office.

Last edited:
Amre2me2

Amre2me2

Aug 11, 2016
Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-3
BigOL3, That’s another good point you brought up about how much time you have to register your vehicle after you purchase it or move into a new state. I didn’t mention that but again, here in CO., they are using that also to make licensing SxSs illegal.
Personally, I’d like to be able to license my SxS but there‘s too many obstacles in the way right now. Hope some day that will change.

Reactions: Mudwing and BigOL3
Gold-digger

Gold-digger

Mar 12, 2019
Ocean Shores Washington
Ownership

1. 1000-5
One thing you will need to do is have your DMV send your lender a request for your title so they can change it to on road use.
that's what is required in Washington State after you get an inspection of modification.

Mark in Northern Iowa

Mark in Northern Iowa

Club Contributor
Oct 20, 2021
Floyd County, Iowa
kramnella.wixsite.com
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Replying to an old post from, 22Jul2020.
Looks like something only I would do.....ahem....have done....Haha!
And I see no one welcomed you when you posted 13Oct2020.
So, I will.
Howdy, and WELCOME ! ! From Northern Iowa
Have a good day

Last edited:
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!