P1000 Stripped Bead Lock Ring Bolts

nitzo

nitzo

Lifetime Member
Aug 16, 2019
East Coast, Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Has anyone had this issue? I've done a pretty good search and have found a lot of folks on the internet are having this happen. I'm just wondering if anyone on this site has had it happen.
Today I mounted 28" Berserkers on STI 12" headlock rims. I installed the tire, tightened the ring down (in a cross pattern) handtight. I set my torque wrench to 12 ft/lbs. and started to tighten the bolts. Well, I ended up stripping out 3 bolts on the first tire. I backed the torque wrench off to 10 ft/lbs and tightened the rest without an issue. I found tightening with a 6" ratchet almost as tight as I can is about 10 to 12 ft/lbs. I did the other 3 tires this way, and didn't strip any. I feel they aren't quite tight enough, but am afraid to tighten them more. I guess I'll just use them the way they are, checking often for looseness.

Those that are using these rims. What have you found? How tight are you tightening them? How did you fix them if it did happen? Any input would be great. Thanks.

J

JTW

I’ve done 5 of them with no issue.. did you use anti seize on the bolts?

I can’t recall the torque specs but there was a slip of paper in the wheels that gave the specs.

Reactions: ohanacreek and BWAF
BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Has anyone had this issue? I've done a pretty good search and have found a lot of folks on the internet are having this happen. I'm just wondering if anyone on this site has had it happen.
Today I mounted 28" Berserkers on STI 12" headlock rims. I installed the tire, tightened the ring down (in a cross pattern) handtight. I set my torque wrench to 12 ft/lbs. and started to tighten the bolts. Well, I ended up stripping out 3 bolts on the first tire. I backed the torque wrench off to 10 ft/lbs and tightened the rest without an issue. I found tightening with a 6" ratchet almost as tight as I can is about 10 to 12 ft/lbs. I did the other 3 tires this way, and didn't strip any. I feel they aren't quite tight enough, but am afraid to tighten them more. I guess I'll just use them the way they are, checking often for looseness.

Those that are using these rims. What have you found? How tight are you tightening them? How did you fix them if it did happen? Any input would be great. Thanks.
I have STI rims and put truck tires on them and the beads are way thicker so I put longer bolts in them so I had plenty of thread .mine has 5/16 bolts no problems

Reactions: nitzo
nitzo

nitzo

Lifetime Member
Aug 16, 2019
East Coast, Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’ve done 5 of them with no issue.. did you use anti seize on the bolts?

I can’t recall the torque specs but there was a slip of paper in the wheels that gave the specs.

Yes, I used anti seize. And there was a paper telling what it is.

Reactions: BWAF and JTW
nitzo

nitzo

Lifetime Member
Aug 16, 2019
East Coast, Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not sure what to tell ya.. maybe check your torque wrench
Like I said, after I stripped the 3, I backed off the torque, used the 6" wrench and had no issue. After I used that wrench, I checked a couple with the torque wrench and was right at 10/11 ft/lbs.

Reactions: BWAF
GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Also torque spec is only 10 ft lbs
Screenshot 20191222 214142 Drive

Reactions: JTW
nitzo

nitzo

Lifetime Member
Aug 16, 2019
East Coast, Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was using one of those older clicker type with the long handle torque wrenches. After reading everything I have, I'm almost certain I missed the click and over tightened those bolts. I'm just glad it was only three. I plan on running them the way they are until I fix them with a heli-coi. l also going to get a digital torque wrench.

Koda

Koda

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2016
Canton Ga
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes, I used anti seize. And there was a paper telling what it is.

Any kind of lubricant applied to the threads will greatly reduce the amount of torque needed to tighten the bolts to the proper tension

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J

JTW

Any kind of lubricant applied to the threads will greatly reduce the amount of torque needed to tighten the bolts to the proper tension

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Even homemade?

Reactions: BWAF
nitzo

nitzo

Lifetime Member
Aug 16, 2019
East Coast, Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You may be able to use a helicoil kit for the repair.

M10 threads?

An example

Advance Auto Parts - Down for Maintenance

I used one of these kits to fix the bad ones, worked great, BTW - M6.

Threads

I also added one of these to my tool collection. Wow is it nice, works very well. I did the rest of my wheels and never had one issue.

Torque

Last edited:
Reactions: BWAF and JTW
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!