JsheII3

JsheII3

Long time listener.
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2018
Mississippi
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Did you know Luxottica owns 80% of the brands we consider to be designer sunglasses?
(As well as the retail stores where they’re primarily sold; Sunglasses Hut) Oakley, Ray-Ban, Prada, Ralph Lauren, Arnette...
Oh, and they own LensCrafters, in case you need those in prescription, too.

I didn’t know any of this until I attempted to replace a pair of my Fossil sunglasses.

I spent the better part of the afternoon convincing myself that I deserved a $100 pair of sunglasses. But at the end of the day, I couldn’t spend that kind of money and look myself in the eye!

So I pretty much wasted my time, my family’s time, and most importantly - the poor sales lady’s time trying on pair after pair of “name brand” sunglasses...

I realize we consumers want options, but the only “options” offered to me so far, began at a range exceeding $100 bucks.

And I’m beginning to understand why...

“The appearance of variety is an optical illusion”

Without going into too much research here, I’ll just tell ya that Ray-Ban used up its 15 minutes of fame back in the 90’s... and prices began to fall into the $30 range before Luxottica swooped in and bought the brand, then stopped all sales for an 8 year period, while the company rebuilt the brand name... Or that in 2005 Oakley bucked against Luxottica about pricing, and was suddenly pulled from retail shelves until they got over it (and subsequently were purchased by Luxottica)...

There’s a great 60 minute article here... (YouTube)

I will admit, so as far as I can tell, Maui Jim isn’t owned by Luxottica, but with prices ranging in the upper $400’s, maybe I shouldn’t be so quick to celebrate.
Same thing with Costa Del Mar.

My point is, I’m looking for a pair of sunglasses.
Somewhere between the gas station and the boutique.

But where have the quality $25 - $50 glasses gone?

What are your thoughts?

TL;DR The company that makes the glasses, also owns the stores. Thus, sets its own prices.

Last edited:
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Where have the quality $25 - $50 glasses gone?
What are your thoughts?

There are none.

I started buying Oakley's in 2010. I used to think it was crazy but I was sick of buying a new $20 pair every other month. Every pair of Oakley's I've bought has lasted over 5 years. I still have them all except my first pair that was stolen at a bar. They were 8 years old and beat to hell.

I typically keep a nice pair and a "work" pair. The nice ones eventually end up the work pair and another pair get bought. Then I have a $300 set for golf and an $80 set for hunting.

They are the most comfortable glasses I've ever owned and extremely durable. The military use them. They exceed ratings for safety glasses. Plus the polarized definitely eliminate eye strain from glare. They can be had for about $65-$400. Well worth the investment in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
SE Washington State/N Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I am a die hard Maui Jim fan. I have 5 or 6 pair.... yes, I have a problem.
Regardless, they have fantastic customer service. I have sent several pairs back with damaged lenses, and for 60 bucks they replace em. The optics are second to none, and the quality is top notch.
I’ve got a pair of Revo’s too, and found that the service center is Oakley. Revo’s claim to fame used to be the lens quality, but now I think that crown goes to MJ’s.

Like cuoutdoors said, the decent 50$ sunglasses don’t exist.
Buy quality the first time & don’t look back. But that’s me... it’s the same reason I didn’t go to Harbor freight for my winch.

Last edited:
JsheII3

JsheII3

Long time listener.
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2018
Mississippi
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

Last year, I was in Lahaina, Maui. And made the effort to walk into Maui Jim’s Headquarters...

That would have been the ideal place to grab a pair...
But I needed money for the trip home!

Last edited:
L

LarryAmboy

May 14, 2017
Castalian Springs, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Regardless, they have fantastic customer service. I have sent several pairs back with damaged lenses, and for 60 bucks they replace em. The optics are second to none, and the quality is top notch.
I’ve got a pair of Revo’s too, and found that the service center is Oakley. Revo’s claim to fame used to be the lens quality, but now I think that crown goes to MJ’s.

Buy quality the first time & don’t look back. But that’s me... it’s the same reason I didn’t go to Harbor freight for my winch.

Ditto

Love the Maui Jim’s

Great customer service

L

LarryAmboy

May 14, 2017
Castalian Springs, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Last year, I was in Lahaina, Maui. And made the effort to walk into Maui Jim’s Headquarters...

That would have been the ideal place to grab a pair...
But I needed money for the trip home!

Other than Maui Jim is in Illinois, I think...

J

JTW

I’m a cheap ray-ban kinda guy.. I had an ex get me a nice pair and they were broken within a month.

Reactions: JsheII3
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Did you know Luxottica owns 80% of the brands we consider to be designer sunglasses?
(As well as the retail stores where they’re primarily sold; Sunglasses Hut) Oakley, Ray-Ban, Prada, Ralph Lauren, Arnette...
Oh, and they own LensCrafters, in case you need those in prescription, too.

I didn’t know any of this until I attempted to replace a pair of my Fossil sunglasses.

I spent the better part of the afternoon convincing myself that I deserved a $100 pair of sunglasses. But at the end of the day, I couldn’t spend that kind of money and look myself in the eye!

So I pretty much wasted my time, my family’s time, and most importantly - the poor sales lady’s time trying on pair after pair of “name brand” sunglasses...

I realize we consumers want options, but the only “options” offered to me so far, began at a range exceeding $100 bucks.

And I’m beginning to understand why...

“The appearance of variety is an optical illusion”

Without going into too much research here, I’ll just tell ya that Ray-Ban used up its 15 minutes of fame back in the 90’s... and prices began to fall into the $30 range before Luxottica swooped in and bought the brand, then stopped all sales for an 8 year period, while the company rebuilt the brand name... Or that in 2005 Oakley bucked against Luxottica about pricing, and was suddenly pulled from retail shelves until they got over it (and subsequently were purchased by Luxottica)...

There’s a great 60 minute article here... (YouTube)

I will admit, so as far as I can tell, Maui Jim isn’t owned by Luxottica, but with prices ranging in the upper $400’s, maybe I shouldn’t be so quick to celebrate.
Same thing with Costa Del Mar.

My point is, I’m looking for a pair of sunglasses.
Somewhere between the gas station and the boutique.

But where have the quality $25 - $50 glasses gone?

What are your thoughts?

TL;DR The company that makes the glasses, also owns the stores. Thus, sets its own prices.
O yea, Lux owns the rights to just about all brand names ... the bought Ray Ban from Bausch + Lomb when they needed some money and the brand was not doing much... they actually refused to curve their lenses were loosing market share to Oakley.

Now I won’t tell you what frames cost as I don’t want to make you sick

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5

That is because the lenses - don’t cost $60 ..

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Profit is not a dirty word. Profit along with great customer service works.
I never said profit was a dirty word just that they are not losing money replacing the lenses. Sunglasses, eyeglasses, frames - the whole category has huge profit margin and people purchase them under their own free will. I have had good experience with Oakley as well replacing frames that broke (for no expense on my part) and them replacing (selling at discount) lenses that were scratched up.

I agree Maui Jim's has Best in Class optics - I believe they still use mostly glass lenses (that could have changed) .. plastic lenses will never be optically as good as glass. I lost my last pair of them when I forgot to take out of a rental car dang it

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
I didn't know that one company owns and controls the price of so many "high end" sunglasses.

But this re-enforces my belief that there is a lesser known company out there with good glasses.

I keep seeing Shady Ray's on FB. I wonder if they are owned by Luxottica.

The problem I have is... (are you ready for TMI?) My nose is both large and high. This makes most sunglasses ride so high they are protecting my eyebrows rather than my eyes.

JsheII3

JsheII3

Long time listener.
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2018
Mississippi
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Profit is not a dirty word. Profit along with great customer service works.
BEST LINE OF THE THREAD @mjn - thanks!

they are not losing money replacing the lenses.
Ya. Production costs are tiny. The WHOLE glasses aren't costing them $5 to make, probably.

Last edited:
JsheII3

JsheII3

Long time listener.
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2018
Mississippi
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
But this re-enforces my belief that there is a lesser known company out there with good glasses.

There are several, I'm sure. But it's a trip to Walmart or Costco (not a trendy eye ware shop) plus a little independent research (evaluating/quality/build/features), that'll be the challenge for me.

Other than Maui Jim is in Illinois, I think...
Maui Jim is a Peoria, Illinois-based manufacturer of sunglasses. The company was founded in Lahaina, Hawaii in 1980
(wikipedia) @Get-the-gaff - you right! Still, Lahaina would have been a good enough reason, tho.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deleted member 3748
O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
Pretty much the same story with a lot of products. Power tools are a great example. If I remember right Makita is one of only two that actually makes their own tools. Ryobi, Milwaulkee and a few others all roll out of the same factory door.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!