Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I never said profit was a dirty word just that they are not losing money replacing the lenses. Sunglasses, eyeglasses, frames - the whole category has huge profit margin and people purchase them under their own free will. I have had good experience with Oakley as well replacing frames that broke (for no expense on my part) and them replacing (selling at discount) lenses that were scratched up.

I agree Maui Jim's has Best in Class optics - I believe they still use mostly glass lenses (that could have changed) .. plastic lenses will never be optically as good as glass. I lost my last pair of them when I forgot to take out of a rental car dang it
I have not ever worn a pair of Maui Jim's but the thing I like about Oakley is they are so dang comfortable you dont even realize you have them on.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

JsheII3

JsheII3

Long time listener.
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2018
Mississippi
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Pretty much the same story with a lot of products. Power tools are a great example. If I remember right Makita is one of only two that actually makes their own tools. Ryobi, Milwaulkee and a few others all roll out of the same factory door.
Washer & dryers, too... I swear the older I get, the more I realize the way things are.

Reactions: Deleted member 3748
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have not ever worn a pair of Maui Jim's but the thing I like about Oakley is they are so dang comfortable you dont even realize you have them on.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I have had this same pair of Oakley flat jackets for at least 5 years although I have replaced the lenses several times over those years due to my mistreatment of them.. I used to shoot with Rudy project glasses and loved them for a while (mostly advertised for biking) and then Oakley came out with the prism lenses and I now have a set of Tombstone and set of M frame each with multiple tint lenses - both of which I use for shooting only.

I do want to try on a pain of Magpul's new glasses and see how they would work for everyday use.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Tools...found it:
That was interesting - I did not know that Kobalt was done by Chevron company - make the move by Stanley, Black and decker to purchase Craftsman show more importance as Craftsman seems to have moved Kobalt to the back of the priority at Lowes.

Reactions: JsheII3
nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I used to wear oakleys, switched to ray ban, tried on a pair of Maui Jim’s a decade ago and have bought 4 pair now. They are amazing. The lenses aren’t even close to other brands. The polarization is so high though you can’t see a lot of digital screens (car radios, HUD, pilots I know can’t wear them because they can’t read the dashes). Their customer service is amazing. I would put them up there with Chick-fil-A. I have only paid for one pair of glasses to have “new lenses”. I had sent them back 3 times and gotten new glasses for free and they just send you a brand new set from what I can tell.

@jschell3 on topic try spy sunglasses. Their non polarized stuff wasn’t that expensive last time I looked. Around $60-90 if I remember correctly. Been a few years though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
I didn't know that one company owns and controls the price of so many "high end" sunglasses.

But this re-enforces my belief that there is a lesser known company out there with good glasses.

I keep seeing Shady Ray's on FB. I wonder if they are owned by Luxottica.

The problem I have is... (are you ready for TMI?) My nose is both large and high. This makes most sunglasses ride so high they are protecting my eyebrows rather than my eyes.
I have the Shady Rays and like them. They are no Oakley as far as optics go but I got 4 pairs of Shady Rays for less than $100. I ran over a pair the second day I had them when I forgot I took them off and sat them on the back tire of the P1k. For $6 they sent me another pair. Their "lifetime warranty" is not exactly lifetime as they'll only replace them twice no questions asked. I have replaced two pairs and it was painless both times. They are worth what you pay for them and the polarized lenses are decent. Oh...Add what you want to the cart on their site but don't buy them, they'll send you a coupon that same day(at least they did a year or so ago when I got mine).

JsheII3

JsheII3

Long time listener.
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2018
Mississippi
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I wound up w/ a pair of PEPPERS . They seem to be pretty good quality. $50. They float. Polarized. Strong hinges.

Pretty much an Oakley Holbrook XL copy. (but they don't openly come out and say it)

I like them. We'll see how long until the lens coating wears off.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Lost my 10 year old Oakleys on our RRB trip last month. Went to Academy to try on some other brands and noticed they had these Columbia polarized glasses for $49:

Columbia Polarized Sunglasses

They are damn near identical to the Oakley Holbrooks. I ended up ordering some metal frame Holbrooks from OakleySi for about half what they wanted in the store:

Upload 2019 10 8 13 37 54

Still may pick up a pair of the Columbias to be the designated SXS glasses. Anybody tried them?

Last edited:
JsheII3

JsheII3

Long time listener.
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2018
Mississippi
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Lost my 10 year old Oakleys on our RRB trip last month. Went to Academy to try on some other brands and noticed they had these Columbia polarized glasses for $49:

Columbia Polarized Sunglasses

They are damn near identical to the Oakley Holbrooks. I ended up ordering some metal frame Holbrooks from OakleySi for about half what they wanted in the store:

View attachment 159864

Still may pick up a pair of the Columbias to be the designated SXS glasses. Anybody tried them?
Those look nice. Pretty much like the PEPPERS I ended up with.
Let me know how well the coating on the lens hold up. That’s usually the deciding factor on $50 shades (vs $200)

Reactions: Adam490
1border4manu

1border4manu

Supporting Member
Jul 4, 2019
Zephyrhills, Florida
Ownership

1. 500
I wear Wiley X's for everyday wear, there the toughest glasses I ever seen. Oakley's for Sporting Clays, the X's to dark for clay shooting but bullet proof.CHVAL01 MV VER1 Oakley sliver edge prizm ruby round men s sunglasses oo9413 941302 65

JsheII3

JsheII3

Long time listener.
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2018
Mississippi
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I wear Wiley X's for everyday wear, there the toughest glasses I ever seen. Oakley's for Sporting Clays, the X's to dark for clay shooting but bullet proof.View attachment 159938 View attachment 159939
My boys (16 &14) joined the shooting team at school this year. I've bought 2x O/U shotguns, electric skeet thrower, and about a million dollars of 12ga shells. seems like.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!