Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Doesn't this winch mount only rely on the strength of the bolts holding the winch? In every other winch mount I have seen, the winch bolts are in "shear", the pull is trying to shear off a 1/2" bolt, which is the strongest way a bolt can hold a load. This mount is being held by the strength of the bolt and the threads in the winch...it will be interesting to see if winches start to get loose after a big pull on them....I don't think they are designed to be pulled on the "top" of the winch, only from the side...

I agree, appears to be a Rube Goldberg solution just to not have the angle from the spool below the fairlead.

amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Gotta pick your poison, I am not a fan of the large bumper winch mounts that clamp onto the relatively weak stock bumper, and I did not like the rope issues on the KFI mounts, so I went with Super ATV. I sincerely doubt the bolts are going to pull out of the winch itself under any conditions either way. To each his own I guess.

walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Gotta pick your poison, I am not a fan of the large bumper winch mounts that clamp onto the relatively weak stock bumper, and I did not like the rope issues on the KFI mounts, so I went with Super ATV. I sincerely doubt the bolts are going to pull out of the winch itself under any conditions either way. To each his own I guess.

Hey amc019, have you installed the superatv winch mount yet? If so which winch did you go with and does the rope touch the tie straps on the winch? Any other issues?

I am trying to figure out which mount and winch to go with - I guess I need to go by a dealership and look close at the factory mounting plate - seems that should eventually be available as a separate piece.

Thanks,

Waylan

amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey amc019, have you installed the superatv winch mount yet? If so which winch did you go with and does the rope touch the tie straps on the winch? Any other issues?

I am trying to figure out which mount and winch to go with - I guess I need to go by a dealership and look close at the factory mounting plate - seems that should eventually be available as a separate piece.

Thanks,

Waylan

I will have my winch mount tomorrow, but wont have the winch till next week. I went with the Warn ProVantage 4500 with Synthetic rope. I doubt that I will have any issue with the rope contacting the cross bolts over the drum, as Super ATV usually engineers high quality parts.

I think the KFI or Honda OEM mount would be fine IF you run a steel cable winch, where the line won't really wear badly when resting on the roller flair-head, but not the same case for the rope. Thats just my 2 cents though.

walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I will have my winch mount tomorrow, but wont have the winch till next week. I went with the Warn ProVantage 4500 with Synthetic rope. I doubt that I will have any issue with the rope contacting the cross bolts over the drum, as Super ATV usually engineers high quality parts.

I think the KFI or Honda OEM mount would be fine IF you run a steel cable winch, where the line won't really wear badly when resting on the roller flair-head, but not the same case for the rope. Thats just my 2 cents though.

So the Honda mount also has the issue of cable alignment crossing/dragging the fairlead? My current thoughts have been either the terra 4500 from superwinch, or the viper 5000 elite. I have a couple 3000 warns that have given no issue for years, but it looks like the overall design has changed since I purchased them. One of those has been through a tremendous amount of mud/water back when that's all I did, and still no issues - it is sealed up really good. Do you mind sharing the best price you could find on the provantage 4500?

Thanks,

Waylan

pct

pct

Lost in the hills
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 10, 2016
Letart WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Doesn't this winch mount only rely on the strength of the bolts holding the winch? In every other winch mount I have seen, the winch bolts are in "shear", the pull is trying to shear off a 1/2" bolt, which is the strongest way a bolt can hold a load. This mount is being held by the strength of the bolt and the threads in the winch...it will be interesting to see if winches start to get loose after a big pull on them....I don't think they are designed to be pulled on the "top" of the winch, only from the side...
You are right Up2it that was my concern also but they told me that they have tested it and no problems but as we all know some people can break anything HaHa my winch and mount are supposed to be hear today will keep everybody posted and also on every winch that I install I get grade 8 bolts to mount it

amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So the Honda mount also has the issue of cable alignment crossing/dragging the fairlead? My current thoughts have been either the terra 4500 from superwinch, or the viper 5000 elite. I have a couple 3000 warns that have given no issue for years, but it looks like the overall design has changed since I purchased them. One of those has been through a tremendous amount of mud/water back when that's all I did, and still no issues - it is sealed up really good. Do you mind sharing the best price you could find on the provantage 4500?

Thanks,

Waylan

I have always used Warn products, and I think you get what you paid for. I found mine with synthetic rope on Amazon for $620 and free shipping, but you can get the same winch with steel cable for 545 or so from Amazon as well.

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just to clarify, the Honda mount with Warn winch does not rub anywhere. It is clean up to the roller on the fairlead, but it does have an angle to it as it crosses the roller. IMHO, the angle is not a concern with the roller fairlead. I would be comfortable with either wire rope or synthetic with my OEM setup as long as I'm using a roller fairlead.

Reactions: pct and joeymt33