pct

Lost in the hills
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 10, 2016
Letart WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I saw that super atv now has a winch mount for the 1000 but it mounts on its side dont know if it will hold up does the kfi mount work the same go to their website and click on it and look at the instructions and you will see what Im talking about other than that one question it looks well made check it out let us know what you think

Link --> Honda Pioneer 1000 Winch Mounting Plate
Super1000

Last edited by a moderator:
ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
No - the kfi mounts horizontally.
I'm very interested to see how this Super ATV works out. The sharp angle we get from winch to fairlead with the kfi mount may be resolved with this design. Not sure if this will introduce other problems - like interference from the tie rod.

Reactions: pct
pct

pct

Lost in the hills
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 10, 2016
Letart WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I dont think it will it is the front of the diff I was concerned about the way it bolts to mount they have pics of it being installed on their website

pct

pct

Lost in the hills
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 10, 2016
Letart WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I dont think it will it is the front of the diff I was concerned about the way it bolts to mount they have pics of it being installed on their website
the only downfall to it is it only fits their 4500lb winch I was going with a 3500lb

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
LOL - I thought that might be confusing. I meant the tie rod on the winch - the metal bar that holds to the two sides of the winch together. It may be positioned different on different winches (Viper in my case)

pct

pct

Lost in the hills
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 10, 2016
Letart WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
LOL - I thought that might be confusing. I meant the tie rod on the winch - the metal bar that holds to the two sides of the winch together. It may be positioned different on different winches (Viper in my case)
I understand now HaHa I think that I'm going to try the superatv winch and mount I have had several of their winches they have a good product

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
Yeah - If I was in the market today for one I would probably give the Superatv a try. Looks like a good design and solid mount for the 1000

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
The SuperATV seems to raise it up a bit compared to the KFI mount. Will cut down on the angle if any. If I start to see my rope becoming worn I want mind switching to this one.

*added link and pic to post 1.

amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Does this not pull on the drum in a way other than what was intended by the winch manufacturer?

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
Yeah - I wondered about that too.
I think the only way to get a "normal" mount on this machine is a bumper mount. Not too keen on that either.

advertisement
amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah - I wondered about that too.
I think the only way to get a "normal" mount on this machine is a bumper mount. Not too keen on that either.

Me neither, but I dont wanna be the guinea pig either. Might give them a call on Monday.

pct

pct

Lost in the hills
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 10, 2016
Letart WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The SuperATV seems to raise it up a bit compared to the KFI mount. Will cut down on the angle if any. If I start to see my rope becoming worn I want mind switching to this one.

*added link and pic to post 1.
thanks for that didnt know how HaHa

pct

pct

Lost in the hills
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 10, 2016
Letart WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Me neither, but I dont wanna be the guinea pig either. Might give them a call on Monday.
does anyone have any pics of the kfi mount maybe use the best of both and come up with our own style I need to see a better pic of the kfi mount Thanks

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I saw that super atv now has a winch mount for the 1000 but it mounts on its side dont know if it will hold up does the kfi mount work the same go to their website and click on it and look at the instructions and you will see what Im talking about other than that one question it looks well made check it out let us know what you think

Link --> Honda Pioneer 1000 Winch Mounting Plate
View attachment 10289

http://www.superatv.com/instructions/IN-WM-H-PIO1K.pdf

Above are the install instructions and it definitely mounts differently, it has the rope/cable coming out between the winch cross bolts which goes against almost every winch MFG. directions. Not to mention the top of the mount bolts into the front differential aluminum housing (aluminum threads). If enough force was to be applied I think it could be possible to damage the front differential housing by pulling the threads or worse. I guess that depends on how it is used.

Last edited:
Reactions: pct and joeymt33
amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
http://www.superatv.com/instructions/IN-WM-H-PIO1K.pdf

Above are the install instructions and it definitely mounts differently, it has the rope/cable coming out between the winch cross bolts which goes against almost every winch MFG. directions. Not to mention the top of the mount bolts into the front differential aluminum housing (aluminum threads). If enough force was to be applied I think it could be possible to damage the front differential housing by pulling the threads or worse. I guess that depends on how it is used.

If you look closely, the plate does not use any aluminum off the differential to attach the bracket, there is a separate bracket that comes off the diff and then mounts to the steel plate that the top of the winch mount will also mount too. As long as you switch the winch around like they did in the instructions, it looks like the line will be pulling on the drum basically in the same way as if it were mounted like others are mounted.

pct

pct

Lost in the hills
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 10, 2016
Letart WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you look closely, the plate does not use any aluminum off the differential to attach the bracket, there is a separate bracket that comes off the diff and then mounts to the steel plate that the top of the winch mount will also mount too. As long as you switch the winch around like they did in the instructions, it looks like the line will be pulling on the drum basically in the same way as if it were mounted like others are mounted.
well i ordered the surperatv winch and mount will keep you guys posted on the install somebody had to try it and it mite as well be me HaHa

N

Ned

May 12, 2015
West Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
well i ordered the surperatv winch and mount will keep you guys posted on the install somebody had to try it and it mite as well be me HaHa
I will be waiting to hear what you think. I have not received my mount or winch yet so I don't mind at all returning an unopened mount box in favor of a better option.

pct

pct

Lost in the hills
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 10, 2016
Letart WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I will be waiting to hear what you think. I have not received my mount or winch yet so I don't mind at all returning an unopened mount box in favor of a better option.
Will do with pics as it goes on

Up2It

Up2It

Jan 9, 2016
Calgary Alberta
Doesn't this winch mount only rely on the strength of the bolts holding the winch? In every other winch mount I have seen, the winch bolts are in "shear", the pull is trying to shear off a 1/2" bolt, which is the strongest way a bolt can hold a load. This mount is being held by the strength of the bolt and the threads in the winch...it will be interesting to see if winches start to get loose after a big pull on them....I don't think they are designed to be pulled on the "top" of the winch, only from the side...

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!