P1000 2023 1000-5 Trail winch wiring

A

aucivil

Jul 23, 2022
Alabama
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
Noticed the wiring on the winch solenoid does not have the typical brown wire connecting the center wire spade to the ground post. I'm adding a remote to the winch but all of the info I've seen has the brown wire. Can't figure out why the Honda OEM version of the winch doesn't have this connected and if I should add it.

Reactions: Smitty335
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Not sure... So no wire at all to the center spade?
The Center is usually the ground for the coil, it could be internal.
Looking at the wire diagram. Its a common setup.
Just energize the left or right spade for In/Out. (green and black wire)
So splicing it in a remote is common and straightforward.

Wisco-Tango

Wisco-Tango

Aug 1, 2022
Fisk, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Sorry about the crappy picture as I cut it off a bit, but this is how it came from the factory.

20230502 151940

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
IDK... Anything I find on that part # shows the brown wire.
And your winch is working now without it?

Wisco-Tango

Wisco-Tango

Aug 1, 2022
Fisk, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
@Hondasxs Works perfectly as wired with the key on. Here is a better picture of the wiring of the winch contactor.
20230504 131714

Reactions: Hondasxs
A

aucivil

Jul 23, 2022
Alabama
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
Works fine. Seems to be configuration that is only on the Honda Trail/Forest editions. Very odd.

A

aucivil

Jul 23, 2022
Alabama
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
@Hondasxs Works perfectly as wired with the key on. Here is a better picture of the wiring of the winch contactor.
View attachment 385977
the 2022 1000's had a separate frame ground wire provided for the winch or already connected to the winch on the Trail/Forest editions.

On my 2023 Trail, I think the winch ground is connected to the ground post on the main battery.

Wisco-Tango

Wisco-Tango

Aug 1, 2022
Fisk, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
the 2022 1000's had a separate frame ground wire provided for the winch or already connected to the winch on the Trail/Forest editions.

On my 2023 Trail, I think the winch ground is connected to the ground post on the main battery.
I have a '23 as well and it is grounded to the main battery. It is piggy backed on the main battery ground wiring harness tab. That harness runs back under the firewall area, so I am not sure where it is grounded back to the frame as I didn't trace it back any further.

H

HondaTech

Yeah I was confused on this the first time as well.

I figure since they aren't using the remote in the glove box anymore (instead using the dash switch) they no longer need the brown wire

A

aucivil

Jul 23, 2022
Alabama
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
Yeah I was confused on this the first time as well.

I figure since they aren't using the remote in the glove box anymore (instead using the dash switch) they no longer need the brown wire
So if you are adding a wired or wireless remote to a 1000 Trail/Forest, do you need to add the brown wire too?

Last edited:
H

HondaTech

So if you are adding a wired or wireless remote to a 1000 Trail/Forest, do you need to add the brown wire too?

I'm not sure how those remotes are wired. But the switch from the wired remote to the dash switch seems to be the only thing they changed in the system.

Reactions: aucivil
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I'm not sure how those remotes are wired. But the switch from the wired remote to the dash switch seems to be the only thing they changed in the system.
Shouldn't.
Normally the center post is the ground for the coil. Normally just pull it from the ground power wire.

Break out a test light and see if that post is grounded.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Wisco-Tango

Wisco-Tango

Aug 1, 2022
Fisk, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Shouldn't.
Normally the center post is the ground for the coil. Normally just pull it from the ground power wire.

Break out a test light and see if that post is grounded.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
So I put a meter across the positive on the battery connection and the the ground connection on the contactor and got 12 volts, I did the same from the battery to the brown spade for the control on on the contactor and got the same 12 volts, so I am assuming that it is grounded internally.

I also found this connection diagram for the wireless hub on the Warn site.

Reactions: aucivil
Wisco-Tango

Wisco-Tango

Aug 1, 2022
Fisk, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Noticed the wiring on the winch solenoid does not have the typical brown wire connecting the center wire spade to the ground post. I'm adding a remote to the winch but all of the info I've seen has the brown wire. Can't figure out why the Honda OEM version of the winch doesn't have this connected and if I should add it.
@aucivil Sort of off topic, but did your Trail model or the one you are looking at have a battery connection included for a battery charger or similar? Mine does, and it fits my Battery Tender two pin connector off of my old SXS.
20230502 085429

Last edited:
A

aucivil

Jul 23, 2022
Alabama
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
@aucivil Sort of off topic, but did your Trial model or the one you are looking at have a battery connection included for a battery charger or similar? Mine does, and it fits my Battery Tender two pin connector off of my old SXS.
View attachment 386105
Haven't noticed one but will look closer and report back

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!