P1000 SuperATV Ball Joint Help...Too big? UPDATE 8-26-22--Not going well...

T

thirdparty

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2018
USA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
UPDATE 8/26/2022:

So, when I installed these A-Arms, I had problems that I attributed to me not knowing how to install and the fact that the instructions that come with them do not mention in any detail the new hardware or length of the upper ball joint bolt shaft.

Fast forward to February 2022 to a ride in the desert and the whole front A-arm assembly has about 1-1.5 in of play when you hit bumps. Meaning that normal driving on flat ground, no looseness or rattling is noticeable until you hit a bump then it feels like the whole front end is coming apart.

Fast forward to this weekend, when I finally have a chance to "snug up" the castle nuts (OEM) or, what I did, replace them with the nylok nuts that came with the kit.

Well, I did that and nothing changed-still the same play. The upper ball joint seems to be the problem (see pics below comparing the length of ball joint bolt shaft).

What am I missing here? Why did I pay hundreds more for the chrome moly SATV ball joints if they don't fit or allow you to tighten the knuckle adequately? I should have just used the OEM joints. Now, I'm stuck with neither that work and the machine is down.

This is really frustrating because SATV and the A-arms get great reviews.

Original:

I bought the new SATV A Arms with their pressed in ball joints to speed up install. The lower ball joints went on fine.

But, the uppers seem to be way too long so that the castle will go way past the cotter pin hole. Here's a pic of how long the upper ball joint is and also compared to the OEM.

How is this supposed to work? I can't tighten it enough to put any pressure on the joint and the cotter pin hole is way too far away from the castle nut. The instructions do not tell you what you use the nylon nuts for.

Pretty frustrating.
PXL 20220127 051916429

PXL 20220127 052022242

PXL 20220127 052144660

Last edited:
TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Use the washer and the nylon lock nut, instead of the castle nuts. I'm currently using the washer and nut from a superatv ball joint, on 1 of my OEM ball joints. It's a long story of why I'm doing that but I've been running it that way for a year now and no issues.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
From the factory the ball joint sits a bit too deep in the knuckle. I'd add the washer above the castle nut and use the cotter pin as intended. I also added a castle nut and cotter pin to my tie rods as I've found them loose

Last edited:
T

thirdparty

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2018
USA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
So, I guess you use the nylock nut with the washer. Tthat makes sense, but I didn't want to replace the castle nut and cotter pin because it's such an important connection.

I guess you can still put a cotter pin above the nylock as well. Is that what people are doing?

T

thirdparty

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2018
USA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Second question...

On the first side, when I tried to install the original castle nut, it was kind of bent from me banging the ball joint out. I figured that out because it was spinning the ball joint--in other words, the nut was spinning the bolt part of the joint. I guess the nylock nut won't spin it around.

I'll get a chance to work on it later.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Second question...

On the first side, when I tried to install the original castle nut, it was kind of bent from me banging the ball joint out. I figured that out because it was spinning the ball joint--in other words, the nut was spinning the bolt part of the joint. I guess the nylock nut won't spin it around.

I'll get a chance to work on it later.
Invest in one of these for the future. That way you won't damage your threads in the future.

T

thirdparty

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2018
USA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I called into SATV for some technical help. On the nylock nut/washer issue, they are to replace the castle nuts on upper and lower ball joints, so that's what I did. Also, when you are installing them, the nylon thread will grab the ball joint thread and spin it so it won't go anywhere. I called back and asked about this and they indicated there was some way to capture it from the top to allow for tightening, but I just lowered the arm until it was binding the ball joint enough for me to tighten.

advertisement
SuperATV

SuperATV

Vendor
Dec 5, 2013
Madison, IN
www.superatv.com
Use the washer and the nylon lock nut, instead of the castle nuts. I'm currently using the washer and nut from a superatv ball joint, on 1 of my OEM ball joints. It's a long story of why I'm doing that but I've been running it that way for a year now and no issues.
This^^^

I called into SATV for some technical help. On the nylock nut/washer issue, they are to replace the castle nuts on upper and lower ball joints, so that's what I did. Also, when you are installing them, the nylon thread will grab the ball joint thread and spin it so it won't go anywhere. I called back and asked about this and they indicated there was some way to capture it from the top to allow for tightening, but I just lowered the arm until it was binding the ball joint enough for me to tighten.
That's perfect. We're moving to nylock nuts now and getting away from castle nuts and cotter pins. You're ready to rock. Sorry for the confusion there. We probably need to get that in the instructions if they aren't already in there.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
This^^^

That's perfect. We're moving to nylock nuts now and getting away from castle nuts and cotter pins. You're ready to rock. Sorry for the confusion there. We probably need to get that in the instructions if they aren't already in there.
Instructions? :oops: we don't need no steenkin' 'structions. :p

T

thirdparty

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2018
USA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
This^^^

There is a short mention of the "other hardware" to be installed, but not enough detail to really know what they nylocks were for exactly. I was hesitant to use them on the upper/lower ball joints because the SATV ball joints have holes for cotter pins--so I thought those were for castle nuts.

What is the reason for going to nylocks and washers? I also put a cotter pin above the nylock for good measure.

SuperATV

SuperATV

Vendor
Dec 5, 2013
Madison, IN
www.superatv.com
There is a short mention of the "other hardware" to be installed, but not enough detail to really know what they nylocks were for exactly. I was hesitant to use them on the upper/lower ball joints because the SATV ball joints have holes for cotter pins--so I thought those were for castle nuts.

What is the reason for going to nylocks and washers? I also put a cotter pin above the nylock for good measure.
They're just better. Better quality. And it helps to standardize everything across the board.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!