hallic

hallic

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2019
Central MN
Ownership

1. 500
Or: "Tips from the experts, to the new people"
Thought it might be a good idea to get some knowledge from those of you that have been to the takeover before. Less about the trails, and more about the campground area.

Aside from the common items we should all bring along anyway (a tow strap, basic tools, tire patch kit, extra water etc), are there any RRB specific things we should haul with us? (Example like: "Theres a great ice cream spot over yonder, but they only take 2 dollar bills" or something goofy)

Will food be available nearby? (restaurant or otherwise)
Is there a Walmart or Target or something close for other normal goods, or should we load up on food etc a couple hours before we get there?

Looks like there is a gas pump at the park, but is it overpriced? Should we load up on fuel outside the campground?

Is there any campground security? Parking lot camera systems? How secure will my crap be? Not talking about leaving a $100 on the hood of my truck and see if it'll be there 10 minutes later, but is a locked toolbox on the truck/trailer/wheeler going to get broken into, or do we need to haul everything into the cabin every night? Or conversely, do the cabins get broken into, and I should leave all my crap in the truck during the day?

Saw on the map there looks to be a couple pressure washer stations, do they charge for use? Or is there a small lake/stream (not too muddy) nearby to drop a hose line into and spray down the machine that way?

Some cabins have BBQ grills listed, are there some fire pits for use? No worries either way, I have some small camp stoves, good for my GF and myself, but sometimes its nice to gather 'round and hang out afterwards for s'mores etc.

I'm sure I'll think of more things to ask in the coming months. Apologies for some possibly goofy questions, but if I don't make lists for everything, I end up forgetting it. Got a bout of Covid last year, and the brain fog hasn't gone away yet.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Probably the best suggestion is to have a second machine with you. Beyond that a spare tire will likely save you from a major hassle. If you're riding alone get a phone number from someone at the camp ground or try to join a group.

That being said I'll have:

Tie rods
Axle shafts
Spare tire
Ball joints
An assortment of bolts
Cv boots
Enough tools to fix anything
Fuel
Tire valve stems

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Probably the best suggestion is to have a second machine with you. Beyond that a spare tire will likely save you from a major hassle. If you're riding alone get a phone number from someone at the camp ground or try to join a group.

That being said I'll have:

Tie rods
Axle shafts
Spare tire
Ball joints
An assortment of bolts
Cv boots
Enough tools to fix anything
Fuel
Tire valve stems
I don't need to carry any of that. I'm just going to make sure I'm in the group YOU'RE in. :D

Backwoods

Backwoods

Ambassador of Crocs / Speaker of truth & facts /
Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
Thought it might be a good idea to get some knowledge from those of you that have been to the takeover before. Less about the trails, and more about the campground area.

Aside from the common items we should all bring along anyway (a tow strap, basic tools, tire patch kit, extra water etc), are there any RRB specific things we should haul with us? (Example like: "Theres a great ice cream spot over yonder, but they only take 2 dollar bills" or something goofy)

Is there a Walmart or Target or something close for other normal goods, or should we load up on food etc a couple hours before we get there?

Looks like there is a gas pump at the park, but is it overpriced? Should we load up on fuel outside the campground?

Is there any campground security? Parking lot camera systems? How secure will my crap be? Not talking about leaving a $100 on the hood of my truck and see if it'll be there 10 minutes later, but is a locked toolbox on the truck/trailer/wheeler going to get broken into, or do we need to haul everything into the cabin every night? Or conversely, do the cabins get broken into, and I should leave all my crap in the truck during the day?

Saw on the map there looks to be a couple pressure washer stations, do they charge for use? Or is there a small lake/stream (not too muddy) nearby to drop a hose line into and spray down the machine that way?

Some cabins have BBQ grills listed, are there some fire pits for use? No worries either way, I have some small camp stoves, good for my GF and myself, but sometimes its nice to gather 'round and hang out afterwards for s'mores etc.

I'm sure I'll think of more things to ask in the coming months. Apologies for some possibly goofy questions, but if I don't make lists for everything, I end up forgetting it. Got a bout of Covid last year, and the brain fog hasn't gone away yet.
Just take what you'll need for a long day in a cooler , a plug kit and some basic tools, maybe a spare use good judgement . Ride with a group and you will have a great time.

Ridinfool

Ridinfool

NTC’ s special Ed student of the year
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 20, 2020
Western North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Everything you will need (restaurant, gas ) is close by, short ride on your buggy, not sure which campground your staying at but they are all pretty safe, if you do happen to leave a hundred dollar bill on the hood of your truck, I definitely want to know what campground your staying at. There is a Walmart close by if you need stuff, for the trail, bring a cooler with plenty of you beverage choice, snacks, a couple of sandwiches or whatever, most rides start in the morning and end in the evening/night. There will be plenty of groups going on all kinds of rides, from hard to easy, I don’t know your skill level but, this group will take care of you, and get you back to camp. Hope that helps and stop by my camp in RRB and say hi, just look for the Minion.
#NTC

hallic

hallic

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2019
Central MN
Ownership

1. 500
Everything you will need (restaurant, gas ) is close by, short ride on your buggy, not sure which campground your staying at but they are all pretty safe, if you do happen to leave a hundred dollar bill on the hood of your truck, I definitely want to know what campground your staying at. There is a Walmart close by if you need stuff, for the trail, bring a cooler with plenty of you beverage choice, snacks, a couple of sandwiches or whatever, most rides start in the morning and end in the evening/night. There will be plenty of groups going on all kinds of rides, from hard to easy, I don’t know your skill level but, this group will take care of you, and get you back to camp. Hope that helps and stop by my camp in RRB and say hi, just look for the Minion.
#NTC

Been riding on and off for about 40years now, mostly around Northern MN. Lots of foresty flat stuff, and iron ore hills and mud. Just not sure what all is gonna be usefull location-specific wise down there.

Ridinfool

Ridinfool

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 20, 2020
Western North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
*scribbles down notes* ok, so far, I have spare machine, extra tires, day's worth of snacks... those are all easy, but I got no idea where to get any "good judgment" from 🤣
Don’t worry, you will find “good judgment “ out on the trail… sometimes it’s “before” most of the time it’s “after” but the next time… you’ll know… hopefully.

Ridinfool

Ridinfool

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 20, 2020
Western North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Been riding on and off for about 40years now, mostly around Northern MN. Lots of foresty flat stuff, and iron ore hills and mud. Just not sure what all is gonna be usefull location-specific wise down there.
Depending on where your at it could go from easy trail to WTF real quick, mountainous terrain so a lot depends on what weather they had before the TO.
But I am by no means an expert in off-roading but riding with these guys I have gone through,over, under and around all sorts of stuff and have gained tons of confidence in my and my buggy’s ability.

Haldog77

Haldog77

NTC's Mafia Enforcer
Lifetime Member
Sep 30, 2019
Bossier City, Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
@hallic I feel your need for answers. My first time at the T.O. I packed everything I owned just about. I was living by the rule that it is better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. Things you will need and things you must have vary with the group you ride with. i.e. You should have a tire patching kit. Will you need a compressor or will one of your buddies have one? Do you really need a tie rod? Maybe. I carry two. One in my repair box on the P1k and one at the truck. I leave my spare tire at the truck as well.
You should take some snacks that you like and maybe a sandwich or two just in case. When the group takes a break, everybody share snacks but usually they have their own food. At one stop we were sharing @Backwoods' moonshine cherries. Take enough beverages to last you all day just in case you are out all day. Food back at RRB or where ever you are staying depends on where you are staying. Meaning you may have a stove or you may have to bring one. There are camp grills at RRB but you can always cook on one of our grills.
Your machine needs a good skid plate. Not the thin plastic ones that come on a base model. (see forum threads on skid plates) You should have your fuel tank vent lines extended in case of a water crossing that get to the seat level or higher. (see vent line extention thread) Having your own winch is nice but trust me there will be winches in the group. Pressure wash stations take tokens purchased at the sign in building, but there are plenty of creeks and streams to take a whore bath. The camp grounds have 24 hour video surveillance.
If you have more questions, just ask on here and some one will give you an answer. Usually there is a party at @Ridinfool 's place. It will be the camper at RRB with the 10 foot minion out front. You will have a blast, that's for sure.

#NTC

Ridinfool

Ridinfool

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 20, 2020
Western North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah @Haldog77 not sure how the party got started… must’ve been the minion… that crazy SOB got drunk and ended up on top of the camper at the MOM ride this year…
18C7557B C2B4 405C 80A2 A9D26A7BCAE9

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

Main thing to do is prep your buggy, real skid plate, 8 ply tires, beer, clothing and food.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When my wife and I went we took a cooler full of food. We brought the brevel, instapot, and single electric burner. When using these items together you might trip the breaker. We just walked outside to the box on the side of the cabin and turned it back on. A microwave was provided by ride royal blue so we had microwaved burritos, and some breakfast sandwiches. We also brought a roku and used my phones hotspot to watch Netflix or Hulu at night. Otherwise there is a gas station across the street that provided food. We paid for food one morning at the ride royal blue resort breakfast buffet and it wasn't stellar. It was like paying for continental breakfast from a hotel. There are other places I have heard of you can drive to and eat. My wife and I drove to Marlboro and used the drive thru to get McDonald's ice cream and little Ceasars pizza.

Reactions: Biteme and hallic
Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Our van and trailer were locked together. I never saw anything being messed with. Our supplies that were left in the bed of the pioneer were cable locked together. For theft deterrent and safety to keep it in the bed if something happened. The pioneer was equipped with a Viper alarm and I never heard anyone mess with it.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I did forget we had a bear on our porch messing with our empty cooler over night. I would not have thought that an empty cooler would have attracted a bear but I guess it did.

Reactions: Biteme and hallic
hallic

hallic

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2019
Central MN
Ownership

1. 500
Awesome, that's exactly the kinda stuff I was looking for, thanks guys.
As for myself, been camping singly for years, have to dust a few things off, but I'll have some lil camp stoves, mini-gaming laptop with probably a 2tb drive with some movies if I get bored (and room for about a gazillion pics of whatever trail stuff I find), bunches of snacks/foods/beer etc.

My p5 is mostly ready for some fun *points to sig* skidplate, winch, 100-some odd feet of extra recovery gear all that goodness.
I'm used to being the one in our group that ends up covering everybody else, will be nice to go on a ride and be able to have some fun without being the nanny, lol.

Have everything I need for vent lines, snorkle and some extra recovery points, just waiting for my unheated garage to warm up a little bit in a couple months.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Also, I didn't see anyone else mention this: if you are truck and trailer then you park in a community lot at the bottom of the hill. No one else is parked there without a permit to be there. Your buggy of choice is parked at the cabin you stay in. It's kind of cool and amplifies the whole "everywhere I go is in a pioneer" feeling.

Reactions: Haldog77 and hallic
hallic

hallic

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2019
Central MN
Ownership

1. 500
Also, I didn't see anyone else mention this: if you are truck and trailer then you park in a community lot at the bottom of the hill. No one else is parked there without a permit to be there. Your buggy of choice is parked at the cabin you stay in. It's kind of cool and amplifies the whole "everywhere I go is in a pioneer" feeling.
Oh cool, that I didn't know.

Reactions: Robobrainiac

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!