Suspension Question?

R

Redbone

May 25, 2014
I am new to this form. I have been viewing a lot on here. I am thinking about the pioneer for a purchase in near future. Most people I have talked to say they ride rough. I don't expect it to be a smooth riding machine but from what I have herd it's rougher than most of it competition. Plus when I have looked at them I see small springs and a basic low priced shock. Two questions do they offer a up graded suspension on it at purchase. Ur opinions on how rough they ride compared to other comparable machines. I have been on trails in a Rhino, Ranger, and a Terex. I owne a RZR. I am not trying to compare any thing to it. I am trying to get something I can hunt out of and get away from a belt drivin machine. Any replays would be great. I have owned a 350 Rancher, and a 450 Forman. Never had either to a shop. Gotta love dependability. I didn't care for the Big Red but am interested in the 700 PIONEER.

bigc

bigc

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 16, 2013
honda does not offer anything but the factory kyb shocks that are on the machine aftermarket companies like walker evans-fox etc have better shocks for them the pioneer doesnt ride rough in my opinion not as plush as a polaris but smoother than a teryx and rhino putting a good set of radials tires on one greatly improves the ride -steering and stability and traction i dont think you can go wrong with the pioneer i have been so pleased with mine zero issues at all as always best on earth and welcome to the forum redbone

R

Redbone

May 25, 2014
That's what I figured. Lol. It costs a good bit for after market suspension kits. O well if you want it you got to pay for it. I will say that I have had a set of Maxis Big Horns on my 450 Forman before I bought this RZR and they are awesome tires. I have never put a plug in one yet, and they wear like iron. Thanks for the welcome.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Welcome to the community Redbone.
The rear shocks are not too bad. Its mostly the front people issues with. It will bottom out when on a faster trail. Many have found a fix with a small shock spacer they made from piping. I plan to try this sometime and see how it does. Going from a rzr to the Pioneer will be a performance downgrade but remember you are switching types of machines. The Pioneer is not a sport SxS. But it will get the job one when in the woods and insure a safe return.

R

Redbone

May 25, 2014
I wish I could have rode on the trails with one. I realize that it isn't a RZR. In all honesty my RZR is a fine machine. I am very impressed with it and everything. I have never been one when riding to be one that is riding aggressive trails. So I do realize a working type machine is never going to be what a sport type machine is. I just don't want to be riding in a machine that has independent suspension but rides as if it's a log wagon. I do like the shaft drive and it's a Honda. Also it don't have a hundred different fluids to do a service on it. Lol. Thanks again.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I rode some fairly rough steep rocky muddy technical trails on Sat with a group of RZR 900s, I had no problem keeping up and sometimes I had to slow down and let them get unstuck.
Only problem I had was putting a small hole in a sidewall. Got that fixed and kept riding.

Service isn't bad 10w-30 motorcycle oil and gear oil if it needs it. And wash the mud off.

Ride is pretty good not as plush as a RZR1000 but you don't have 18" of travel. The rear is great, and adjustable if you have passengers. The front shocks can be annoying but I'm going to try the pipe spacer fix( at some point) people have had some success with it.

R

Redbone

May 25, 2014
I like the Black , how did u do that around here it's red , green or Camo. Which u can't get. Like what I hear Thanks!

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!