Swap those gas cans for charge cables. Honda going all electric.

F

Fyathyrio

Sep 24, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Now if'n some Honda Engineer would do this off-road EV SXS right, it would have an electric motor in each wheel, forego axels and differentials as fail points and a low CG battery pack good for 150 miles under any conditions even 20 degrees F.
I routinely go over 200 miles, and carry gas in case I exceed the ~240 mile rage of the Trail Tank I installed. Until they come up with a way to carry a bucket of electrons, EV SXS is a non-starter for me.

S

Scrappapotamus

The Scrappapotamus
Lifetime Member
Nov 2, 2022
Midway KY
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R

4. Talon R LV
You can always bolt a Harbor Freight generator on the back for those backwood recharge moments....:D
Considering all of the controllers sure to be on these sorts of vehicles, you're going to need a generator that puts out a clean and consistent signal, which equates to excessive expense. The Chinese Schiff they're peddling at HF wouldn't get the job done along with most worksite generators of any brand. Preferably an Inverted Honda or Yamaha. I understand Cat makes a good generator

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
I routinely go over 200 miles, and carry gas in case I exceed the ~240 mile rage of the Trail Tank I installed. Until they come up with a way to carry a bucket of electrons, EV SXS is a non-starter for me.
it simple - mount a generator in the back and charge the batteries as you go

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
A lot will happen in the next several years and I expect most companies will push the EV only production into the 2050's or 2060's. I think the battery improvements won't help EV sales for several years. I drove Honda's Electric Civic 30 years ago. It would go 70 miles with 1,000 pounds of golf cart batteries. Most all companies have been working on EV's for several years. We may get a major breakthrough to make them popular and more affordable in the distant future. For now, EV's Suck. The rich can afford an EV as a toy. Golf cart communities are doing ok but some of the better golf carts cost $20,000.

F

Fyathyrio

Sep 24, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I got into RC aircraft about 15 years ago. The lithium batteries used then are still basically the same used now, there have been no breakthroughs. Dozens of stories a year about the next big thing in battery tech . . . still using the same basic things. I have even built my own battery packs using the same cells Elon puts in his cars. The main reason batteries seem to work longer (or get lighter for same use) in things like a cell phone is due to improvements in the computer chips. Each new silicon design uses less power for the same function. Batteries are old tech, and will likely continue a slow advancement.