BOX1 - TEST

Multi Switch panel wiring help

dmcpeak

dmcpeak

Oct 9, 2016
Binghamton, NY
Ownership

1. 700-4
I guess I'll try one more time to ask for help...I bought the Switch plate. Check. I know what switches I want. Check. Now can someone point me in the right direction to learn how everything goes together? Do I need to buy wire harnesses, fuse panels etc...In other words, how do I learn what to connect and where? I have been to all my local electronics stores and they are no help whatsoever. Does anyone know of a post that shows how to do the wiring behind the panel?

Reactions: Jim0311
test
mystic1219

mystic1219

Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jul 3, 2015
@dmcpeak I'm not an electrician but I'll add some notes I've picked up on.
-Fuse all you accessories. You can add in line fuses or add a fuse box. Both do the same thing, in line may save you some wiring, a box will locate all fuses togeather.
Watts/voltage=amps so a 120w light bar at 12 volts draws 10 amps. Your switches are probably rates for 20 or 30 amps but if it's questionable run a relay to avoid burning up your switch. The relay uses a low amperage power wire (ran through your switch) to trigger the relay and complete the circuit of a larger amperage to your accessories. Search for 12v relay on YouTube for a better explanation.
-be sure to go by the wiring diagram supplied with your switches and relays. They should explain pretty clearly where all connections go.
-If you want power on/off with your ignition you need a relay that is triggered with the ignition. I ran a fuse box with a relay that is triggered by a wire behind the factory 12v outlet so it's on/off with my key. Now anything ran off of my fuse box (lights, radio, whatever you want) will only come on when the key is on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
IdahoPioneer

IdahoPioneer

Oct 16, 2015
Emmett, Idaho
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
@dmcpeak I ran a fuse box with a relay that is triggered by a wire behind the factory 12v outlet so it's on/off with my key. Now anything ran off of my fuse box (lights, radio, whatever you want) will only come on when the key is on.

I'm getting started ordering stuff for my setup on the 1000-5 I'll be getting next week. What fuse block are you using? Is the relay integrated into it or separate? How many amps is the relay rated for? Thanks.

J

JTW

I'm getting started ordering stuff for my setup on the 1000-5 I'll be getting next week. What fuse block are you using? Is the relay integrated into it or separate? How many amps is the relay rated for? Thanks.
If you're not running anything pulling more than 15 amps just do a regular fuse panel.
Like this..
Amazon.com : Blue Sea Systems ST Blade Fuse Block - 12 Circuits with Negative Bus & Cover : Fuse Block With Relay : Sports & Outdoors

Or if you want prewired integrated relay box..
Amazon.com: Universal Waterproof Fuse Relay Box Panel Cooper Bussmann ATV UTV RV Boat 4X4: Industrial & Scientific

Reactions: PioneerPete
IdahoPioneer

IdahoPioneer

Oct 16, 2015
Emmett, Idaho
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5

I was actually just looking at the Blue Sea one. If I come straight off the battery to supply the fuse box I was thinking it would be nice to have a relay that kills power to the fuse block when I turn off the key. Would this work?

Amazon.com: E Support Car Auto Heavy Duty Split Charge DC 12V 100A 100 AMP SPST Relay 4 Pin 4P RL180: Cell Phones & Accessories

J

JTW

I was actually just looking at the Blue Sea one. If I come straight off the battery to supply the fuse box I was thinking it would be nice to have a relay that kills power to the fuse block when I turn off the key. Would this work?

Amazon.com: E Support Car Auto Heavy Duty Split Charge DC 12V 100A 100 AMP SPST Relay 4 Pin 4P RL180: Cell Phones & Accessories
All the relay does is act as a gate only allowing so much juice through to the switch. Switches are good for usually 20 amps.. so as long as you're not going above that you should be fine. Take the wattage of whatever light you might add and divide by 12, that will give you your amperage and you'll know if you need a relay. If I were doing it over.. I would have just gone with the regular fuse panel and kept it simple.

As for the relay being keyed to the fuse block.. yeah, I think that could work. I wouldn't want it as radio or lights would then have to have the key on to run.. therefore running up your hours on the machine.

IdahoPioneer

IdahoPioneer

Oct 16, 2015
Emmett, Idaho
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
All the relay does is act as a gate only allowing so much juice through to the switch. Switches are good for usually 20 amps.. so as long as you're not going above that you should be fine. Take the wattage of whatever light you might add and divide by 12, that will give you your amperage and you'll know if you need a relay. If I were doing it over.. I would have just gone with the regular fuse panel and kept it simple.

As for the relay being keyed to the fuse block.. yeah, I think that could work. I wouldn't want it as radio or lights would then have to have the key on to run.. therefore running up your hours on the machine.

That's true I would want lights with the machine off. I guess I'll just skip the relay.

Reactions: JTW
mystic1219

mystic1219

Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jul 3, 2015
Also I've seen some comments about the Mictuning switches not fitting quite right. Can anyone that's got the Mictuning usb port verify that it will fit the switch panel?

Amazon.com: Mictuning Universal Rocker Style Car USB Charger - with Blue LED Light Dual USB Power Socket for Rocker Switch Panel: Cell Phones & Accessories
They make one with an integrated volt meter also. Some say the mictuning switches are tight but will go in and some have had to open the slots slightly.

3197027d0f448c04fb830ad61e1e4559

Reactions: swsebek and JTW
Corona1

Corona1

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2016
The Land of Cheese
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Also I've seen some comments about the Mictuning switches not fitting quite right. Can anyone that's got the Mictuning usb port verify that it will fit the switch panel?

Amazon.com: Mictuning Universal Rocker Style Car USB Charger - with Blue LED Light Dual USB Power Socket for Rocker Switch Panel: Cell Phones & Accessories

I used all Mictuning switches including that exact USB port. All switches were tight but fit without modification except that one. I had to enlarge the opening slightly, maybe 1/32".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
That's true I would want lights with the machine off. I guess I'll just skip the relay.
It looks like the Cooper relay panel has 5 relay outputs that are fused and 5 fused outputs with no relays. so you could have up to 5 circuits that would be able to be used if you wired the panel directly to the battery.
can you tell me what you have in mind ? like what type of things you want to use and weather you want them to work with the key on or off. also if you have things that can be used with key OFF you might need to think about the possibility of accidently running you battery down and leaving you stranded.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
lets start a thread for questions and help with the wiring ideas and problems when using the custom switch panels.

Reactions: Corona1
mystic1219

mystic1219

Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jul 3, 2015
I was going to mention in the other thread, I plan to add a time delay relay on mine so the radio etc will stay on for 10 minutes or so after the key is turned off but will then shut down to prevent draining the battery.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Universal Waterproof Fuse Relay Box Panel Cooper Bussmann ATV UTV RV Boat 4X4 | eBay
I just ordered a fuse/relay panel.
I was going to mention in the other thread, I plan to add a time delay relay on mine so the radio etc will stay on for 10 minutes or so after the key is turned off but will then shut down to prevent draining the battery.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk[

that's a great idea, only problem with that is I'm not sure there is an automotive style relay that is adjustable time delay off that fits in one of these types of panels. you would almost have to have a separate relay for each circuit or a large current capacity relay to interrupt the power feed to a smaller fuse /relay panel

dmcpeak

dmcpeak

Oct 9, 2016
Binghamton, NY
Ownership

1. 700-4
So for us new to the SxS club...does anyone know of a thread that would take us through step by step how to wire switches starting from which switch to buy and if we should buy wire harnesses etc...? I have never done any electrical work other than adding a winch to my 700-4. I really want to learn how to set this up right from start to finish and nobody from my local electronics stores or Honda dealer will help. The Honda dealer just wants me to buy the Honda Switch plate setup for like $300

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
So for us new to the SxS club...does anyone know of a thread that would take us through step by step how to wire switches starting from which switch to buy and if we should buy wire harnesses etc...? I have never done any electrical work other than adding a winch to my 700-4. I really want to learn how to set this up right from start to finish and nobody from my local electronics stores or Honda dealer will help. The Honda dealer just wants me to buy the Honda Switch plate setup for like $300
I'll try to help ya, what do you want to add and what are your future plans? If your just needing 1 or 2 items then we maybe able to add them with less wiring and less cost. I also have a 700 so that will help.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tflynn
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I will work on a toutorial video with a simple fused switch and relay circuit . if you get how a single circuit works then you can easily move to more complex circuits.

dmcpeak

dmcpeak

Oct 9, 2016
Binghamton, NY
Ownership

1. 700-4
I bought a switch plate from Mystic. All I want for now is to convert the switch that came with the winch (It will not fit the plate, nor is it lighted) to the one in the picture Winch Switch LED Light USB Voltmeter and add the USB and in future an LED Light Bar:

Reactions: Tflynn
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Can you tell me what type of winch you have and what type of materials are in the box. I will research the winch and get back to ya.

dmcpeak

dmcpeak

Oct 9, 2016
Binghamton, NY
Ownership

1. 700-4
WInch is all set up and working. Currently I just ran the wire/switch under the windshield and it's hanging next to the steering wheel so I can operate the plow. Winch is Harbor Freight 5000# Badlands Winch.
Upload 2017 1 21 9 36 52

BOX2
box3 - TEST

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!