Multi Switch panel wiring help

dmcpeak

dmcpeak

Oct 9, 2016
Binghamton, NY
Ownership

1. 700-4
I purchased the Accessory wire harness and ran the switch to the red power on the harness. Works fine.
Upload 2017 1 21 9 39 35

Amazon.com: Honda 08Z08-HL5-A00 Pioneer 500 Accessory Sub Harness: Automotive

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don't know anything about the subharness, but if you are getting your switches form OTRATTW. The red (ignition wire) would go to #2, and green and black wire would go to (#1 and #3). Mystic took the dimensions for the cutouts off the OTRATTW switches and I believe some said the ones off of ebay are a little tight, but some did get them to work. Clear as mud I'm sure.
V-SERIES SEALED WINCH IN/OUT ROCKER SWITCH
http://www.otrattw.com/wiring/v8d2u.pdf

IdahoPioneer

IdahoPioneer

Oct 16, 2015
Emmett, Idaho
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
It looks like the Cooper relay panel has 5 relay outputs that are fused and 5 fused outputs with no relays. so you could have up to 5 circuits that would be able to be used if you wired the panel directly to the battery.
can you tell me what you have in mind ? like what type of things you want to use and weather you want them to work with the key on or off. also if you have things that can be used with key OFF you might need to think about the possibility of accidently running you battery down and leaving you stranded.

Plans so far for the fuse block:
Windshield Wipers - Key on
Light Bar - Key on/off
Rear Lights - Key on/off
Dome Lights - Key on/off
Winch - Not sure if that will even need to interface with the fuse block
Bilge fan under seat - Key on
Heater - Key on
USB port - Key on

Looks like the Cooper one would work but man it's expensive.

IdahoPioneer

IdahoPioneer

Oct 16, 2015
Emmett, Idaho
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Another thought. Say I had a single relay in front of the entire fuse block. Is there any reason not to have the engine off, key on, and lights on? That's accomplishing the same thing as having some circuits independent of the ignition and others dependent right?

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Another thought. Say I had a single relay in front of the entire fuse block. Is there any reason not to have the engine off, key on, and lights on? That's accomplishing the same thing as having some circuits independent of the ignition and others dependent right?
Only problem is the wire that feeds the fuse block is lets say 80 amps. Then you would have to have a relay with contacts rated for that much current. If you feed it direxty to the battery the the power output would be avalible with key off. If you want to split and have to fuse blocks, one on all the time and one on only wit key on that could be done.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

IdahoPioneer

IdahoPioneer

Oct 16, 2015
Emmett, Idaho
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Only problem is the wire that feeds the fuse block is lets say 80 amps. Then you would have to have a relay with contacts rated for that much current. If you feed it direxty to the battery the the power output would be avalible with key off. If you want to split and have to fuse blocks, one on all the time and one on only wit key on that could be done.

I think I could do it with this. Are most people not bothering with a relay though?

Amazon.com: E Support Car Auto Heavy Duty Split Charge DC 12V 100A 100 AMP SPST Relay 4 Pin 4P RL180: Cell Phones & Accessories

J

JTW

Quit worrying about relays.. the only thing you might add that has the amperage where a relay is needed would be the light bar. If you keep the light bar under 240 watts... which is a 42" light bar or so... you won't need a relay. You can always add one if needed.
If you're worried about battery life.. add a second battery and an isolator.

advertisement
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
So that's rated for 70 amps. If I get a fuse block rated to 100 amps would I need to match that with the relay? I haven't purchased all my electrical accessories yet so I don't know what the total current draw will be.
let me do some more research,I may have miss spoke in my last post. if the trigger wire for each relay is separate and not connected to the main feed wire. than we can enable only the rocker switch's/ relays we want with the key off or on.

IdahoPioneer

IdahoPioneer

Oct 16, 2015
Emmett, Idaho
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
let me do some more research,I may have miss spoke in my last post. if the trigger wire for each relay is separate and not connected to the main feed wire. than we can enable only the rocker switch's/ relays we want with the key off or on.

I'm not sure I'm willing to go to all the trouble of wiring individual relays for each switch or even splitting into two fuse blocks. I was just wondering if I should put my entire fuse block on one relay that would keep me from draining my battery if I turned the machine off and accidentally left one of the accessories on. Also in that scenario I could still have a light running with the machine "off" if I just left the key in the on position.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Ok the wife and i are going out this evening. I will draw up a couple of rhings on paper and lets see if it will help ya get whatvyou need.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So that's rated for 70 amps. If I get a fuse block rated to 100 amps would I need to match that with the relay? I haven't purchased all my electrical accessories yet so I don't know what the total current draw will be.

I had one of there with a time delay relay so my accessories work be on for a set time after I turned the switch off.

It has a fused 70a relay and a fused 70a always on feed, only reason I used it was for RAP like on a car and a fused bus point larger than the battery terminal.

IdahoPioneer

IdahoPioneer

Oct 16, 2015
Emmett, Idaho
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Are all the leads "hot"? What type of connector does it use? Many thanks for a reply!

I used the same thing on my 500. Each one of the wrapped up leads in that picture have a hot and ground. The connectors are the male and female cylindrical ones. Not sure of the name.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had my switches hooked to relays because of the amount of wire going to 12 lighted switches. Larger gauge took a lot more room and was harder to work with.

Reactions: joeymt33
IdahoPioneer

IdahoPioneer

Oct 16, 2015
Emmett, Idaho
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Ok the wife and i are going out this evening. I will draw up a couple of rhings on paper and lets see if it will help ya get whatvyou need.

I don't mean to take up too much of your time. I'm just seeing what people's opinions/experiences are before I order all the stuff to start wiring accessories.

Reactions: Tramguage1
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
No problem i will draw up a simple single circuit and then we can design whatever you need to get it done.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I think we will be able to do what you want with just a couple relays. I think all the lights can go on 1 fuse. The switch on each device should be able to handle each branch circuit

T

TN8S

Jan 5, 2017
Hollywood, SC
Ownership

1. 500
I used the same thing on my 500. Each one of the wrapped up leads in that picture have a hot and ground. The connectors are the male and female cylindrical ones. Not sure of the name.
Got it installed! Too easy! Plugged into the red bundle, black and green to the contactor, zip ties and electrical tape for a very professional look![ Switch position was compliments of another post! Thanks whoever you are! Remove cup holder, thread through opening between dash and front, couple zip ties, Beautiful!!

IMG 1649 IMG 1650 IMG 1648

Reactions: Skyhawk85
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!