Switching to i4wd while moving?

J

Jhn_mcdngh

Feb 25, 2021
Ridgecrest, CA
Ownership

1. Talon R
Does anybody have any info on how it is on the machine when you switch into 4wd while your moving?
I have a 2021 1000r live valve and I have gotten mixed reviews on this topic. Just looking for some insight.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Answers are going to vary wildly on this one.

If the driveline isn't moving when you engage 4WD then the engagement can't cause an issue. If it is moving...there are circumstances where it definitely can cause an issue. If you feel you have the confidence to know that everything is spinning at the same speed when you hit the button then go for it, but personally I don't shift into 4wd on the go. It's a risk/reward scenario in my mind. I can spare the few seconds to stop before I engage 4wd so that I don't have to fix something because I didn't.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Slow down. Let off the throttle and switch it.
The Talon is electronic engagement and smoother changing than the Pioneer line.

Ps. Renamed the title as you were not wanting to "move the 4x4 switch"

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I go back and forth from 4wd to 2wd on the fly. I always let of the throttle before and after i switch. I have noticed if you switch to 2wd while in the throttle it will not disengage until you let off the throttle.

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
I go back and forth from 4wd to 2wd on the fly. I always let of the throttle before and after i switch. I have noticed if you switch to 2wd while in the throttle it will not disengage until you let off the throttle.

Yep I switch on the fly with a momentary throttle blip as needed.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
From the owners manual, page 35. If the speed difference is greater than the ECM will allow it won't make the shift, blip the throttle. Unlike the P5 which is connected to a lever/cable, the i4wd system is computer controlled.

I4wd

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
#metoo I try to unload the driveline before going to 4wd but I'm sure I've done it loaded too and have never heard any angry clunking when I do. When in 4wd, I have a definite lite howl that won't quit when shifting back to 2wd until I blip the throttle - it's very obvious to me.

M

McCarthy

Aug 13, 2020
Canada
Ownership

1. Talon X
I've tried shifting from 4wd to 2wd while moving and it won't indicate it's shifted until I come to a stop.

Reactions: TimG and rtn001
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I’ve always shifted the manual diff lock rigs whenever, most all I know and ride with do as well, however you just need to make sure you’re not spinning, I just slightly lift off the throttle exactly like an old truck. Did that with all my machines, broke a lot of crap over the years but nothing because of shifting on the fly.
But ya never do I stop first. Some say that was a benefit of I4wd because you could shift without coming to a stop. So it should be even safer.

Last edited:
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Switch whenever you need. If the ECU senses too much difference in F/R wheel speed, it won't engage until the difference is within tolerance to avoid damage. I engaged mine at 40 mph all the time at the dunes when I know I will need it, never had an issue.

It also tends to not disengage when accelerating or decelerating but will eventually when you change throttle pressure.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
#metoo I try to unload the driveline before going to 4wd but I'm sure I've done it loaded too and have never heard any angry clunking when I do. When in 4wd, I have a definite lite howl that won't quit when shifting back to 2wd until I blip the throttle - it's very obvious to me.
You will never hear a clunk or grind or any gear to gear type noise on a Talon when engaging i4WD. The engagement is an electric "clutch" type mechanism, not gear to gear engagement. That is why you can seamlessly shift the Talon on the fly.

M

McCarthy

Aug 13, 2020
Canada
Ownership

1. Talon X
You will never hear a clunk or grind or any gear to gear type noise on a Talon when engaging i4WD. The engagement is an electric "clutch" type mechanism, not gear to gear engagement. That is why you can seamlessly shift the Talon on the fly.

If I disengage while moving it will never shift into 2wd until I come to a stop, doesn't matter if I am off the gas coasting down a hill, or just cruising or whatever. Wonder if something i wrong with the i4wd?

EDIT: I'm an idiot, it is changing properly, I just need to touch the gas for the diagram on the dash to show it switched.

Last edited:
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
If I disengage while moving it will never shift into 2wd until I come to a stop, doesn't matter if I am off the gas coasting down a hill, or just cruising or whatever. Wonder if something i wrong with the i4wd?
Mine goes in and out of i4WD seamlessly at any speed. Sometimes I need to change throttle pressure but it has never failed me. So either I have a "special" Talon or there is something wrong with yours.

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4

I think you have something wrong.

I go in and out multiple times as i drift corners then climb hills and it’s seamless

WillyBill

WillyBill

Wheeling Addict
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2017
Clinton, Utah
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
Answers are going to vary wildly on this one.

If the driveline isn't moving when you engage 4WD then the engagement can't cause an issue. If it is moving...there are circumstances where it definitely can cause an issue. If you feel you have the confidence to know that everything is spinning at the same speed when you hit the button then go for it, but personally I don't shift into 4wd on the go. It's a risk/reward scenario in my mind. I can spare the few seconds to stop before I engage 4wd so that I don't have to fix something because I didn't.
Honda recommends running in 4XD whenever off the asphalt.
WB

L

LincolnSixAlpha

Feb 3, 2021
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
I've been flipping it on and off as needed while under acceleration on flat surfaces at most speeds. The system never seems to complain. I don't use it on any hard-pack surfaces, only loose stuff. And never on asphalt.

Reactions: CID

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!