Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Very good video, thanks for posting.

Pretty damn cool how they replaced airbox with a huge intercooler and put air filter beside it where OEM intake location is.

Lots of good information if you pay attention.

What say you @snuffnwhisky ?

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X

Pretty damn cool how they replaced airbox with a huge intercooler and put air filter beside it where OEM intake location is.

I doubt I'd ever purchase the turbo kit, as it just isn't needed for the leisurely type riding the wife and I do. But, it's really exciting to see Honda stepping up to the plate and becoming competitive. Only time will tell whether their turbo package, coupled with the DCT, will make the difference in the competitive arena. But, they're just getting started. Enlisting Jackson Racing was a brilliant move in my estimation. AND, the announcement of a Honda Racing Talon crew is REALLY exciting, as that's where new technology is truly proven (or disproven).

Steve

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Honda lets it be public less than 24 hours ago about a 165HP ish Turbo kit and lookie here who must feel threatened....... :D:D:D:D:D:D

Screenshot 20190604 121358 Facebook

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand

Looks good. It is a pretty small turbo so HP will be limited if you wanted to turn it up but there should be no lag at all with it. It should be full boost by 3500 rpm. A smaller turbo is a lot more fun, linear power when trail riding. There will be more companies coming out with turbo kits after the guinea pigs figure out the limits :D.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Looks good. It is a pretty small turbo so HP will be limited if you wanted to turn it up but there should be no lag at all with it. It should be full boost by 3500 rpm. A smaller turbo is a lot more fun, linear power when trail riding. There will be more companies coming out with turbo kits after the guinea pigs figure out the limits :D.
I agree, getting a good match that doesn't fux up the DCT and shifting correctly is the challenge.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
RockR

RockR

Hammer Down Trail Hound
Lifetime Member
Apr 15, 2019
SE Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I agree, getting a good match that doesn't fux up the DCT and shifting correctly is the challenge.
From what he was saying in the video, it sounds like there is plenty more power to be had from the kit if you wanted to play with it per the Jackson guys. I would assume they considered the trans when they said that. If not, someone will undoubtedly come up with better clutch pack or clutch cooling package that will allow for it. I'd like one, but being a "Honda Accessory" will probably put a ridiculous price point on it.

Maybe I can try to justify a Turbo R next year and tell Mama I need two different rigs for different types of riding. R for racing/track and X for trails/mud. I'm sure we can send the kid to a cheaper college somewhere. Maybe she won't be too mad for too long. Maybe.... Haha.

Reactions: Plumber32
stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
From what he was saying in the video, it sounds like there is plenty more power to be had from the kit if you wanted to play with it per the Jackson guys. I would assume they considered the trans when they said that. If not, someone will undoubtedly come up with better clutch pack or clutch cooling package that will allow for it. I'd like one, but being a "Honda Accessory" will probably put a ridiculous price point on it.

Maybe I can try to justify a Turbo R next year and tell Mama I need two different rigs for different types of riding. R for racing/track and X for trails/mud. I'm sure we can send the kid to a cheaper college somewhere. Maybe she won't be too mad for too long. Maybe.... Haha.

MSRP of $5799.99 is what they're claiming. Available in the fall. While that is a lot of money, it's competitively priced with other packages from what I understand.

Steve

Reactions: Plumber32
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
MSRP of $5799.99 is what they're claiming. Available in the fall. While that is a lot of money, it's competitively priced with other packages from what I understand.

Steve
I bet they can budge 20% on that price fairly easily, getting around $4650 range.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Can somebody explain what makes a bolt on turbo so pricey? It's literally 1/4 the cost of the vehicle. I'm sure you are paying for the R&D and Honda tax here, but that still seems crazy to me. Guess you've gotta pay to play. I've never looked into adding any sort of forced induction on anything so it's probably just more of my lack of knowledge into everything involved.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Can somebody explain what makes a bolt on turbo so pricey? It's literally 1/4 the cost of the vehicle. I'm sure you are paying for the R&D and Honda tax here, but that still seems crazy to me. Guess you've gotta pay to play. I've never looked into adding any sort of forced induction on anything so it's probably just more of my lack of knowledge into everything involved.

Well speaking very generally and using another vendor for an example. Seizmik makes the side mirrors that are sold as an official accessory on the Talon with an MSRP of $299 while the exact same mirrors can be bought directly under the Seizmik name for $150. It's not uncommon across several industries to have a 100% markup from a vendor direct selling price to a dealer suggested MSRP. The dealership doesn't set that price an can often discount accessories 20-25% and still make a nominal profit on them.

Where they make a killing is Joe Blow comes into the dealership and wants the bestest, fastest, tricked out every option available rig of a given flavor and doesn't bat an eye rolling it all up into one package and finance it with a purchase. Most only care what the monthly payment is and there is enough of those guys who do exactly that are the ones that keep dealers open.

That $5799 bolt on terba kit could likely be bought at a dealer after the new fandimonium wears off for about $4500 or direct from the maker for even less, like $3600 ballpark. Now this is once supply has saturated demand and they aren't selling every single one off the line before it is made.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Well speaking very generally and using another vendor for an example. Seizmik makes the side mirrors that are sold as an official accessory on the Talon with an MSRP of $299 while the exact same mirrors can be bought directly under the Seizmik name for $150. It's not uncommon across several industries to have a 100% markup from a vendor direct selling price to a dealer suggested MSRP. The dealership doesn't set that price an can often discount accessories 20-25% and still make a nominal profit on them.

Where they make a killing is Joe Blow comes into the dealership and wants the bestest, fastest, tricked out every option available rig of a given flavor and doesn't bat an eye rolling it all up into one package and finance it with a purchase. Most only care what the monthly payment is and there is enough of those guys who do exactly that are the ones that keep dealers open.

That $5799 bolt on terba kit could likely be bought at a dealer after the new fandimonium wears off for about $4500 or direct from the maker for even less, like $3600 ballpark. Now this is once supply has saturated demand and they aren't selling every single one off the line before it is made.
Thanks @JACKAL , I guess I was more interested in the technical side of what makes a bolt on turbo kit so expensive?

Reactions: JACKAL
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Thanks @JACKAL , I guess I was more interested in the technical side of what makes a bolt on turbo kit so expensive?

I would say Jackson Racing has nearly a year (or more) of testing and R&D to make this kit truly OEM quality, the fact it can adjust the ECM to adapt to 28, 30, 32" tires while keeping speedometer and shifting optimal for each size shows thier attention to detail. The quality and time investment in this particular kit is likely far in excess of the others to follow.

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X

First, there is a tremendous amount of R&D that goes into developing a workable turbo solution. That expertise and the time factor constitutes a noteworthy expense in itself. Second, the tolerances required, and therefore the manufacturing equipment, time and expense necessary to, 1) develop castings/forgings (an expensive proposition, as patterns and/or dies must be made and replaced from time to time), 2) machine parts to those demanding tolerances, 3) maintain a robust quality assurance system that keeps those parts coming off the machines within the prescribed tolerances all lead to a pretty high tab. It's a process that has many moving parts, several vendors and requires continual monitoring. There's a lot more at play here than just the sum total of material parts.

(Can you tell I spent my entire career in the manufacturing sector?)

Again, the MSRP of $5799, while it sounds (and is) high, is really quite competitive with other third-party vendor packages. So, I really don't think we're seeing a huge "Honda tax" at play here.

Steve

Reactions: Adam490
Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Thanks guys

RockR

RockR

Hammer Down Trail Hound
Lifetime Member
Apr 15, 2019
SE Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I would say Jackson Racing has nearly a year (or more) of testing and R&D to make this kit truly OEM quality, the fact it can adjust the ECM to adapt to 28, 30, 32" tires while keeping speedometer and shifting optimal for each size. The quality and time investment in this particular kit is likely far in excess of the others to follow.
I'd really like to get to the tuner part and adjust for my 32" tires. It's not bad, but the shift points seem a little weird now. I assume they'll have flashes for all kinds of mods by the time they release it.
Maybe one of you guys with turbo experience/know-how would have insights into this: I'm wondering how this will affect engine & oil temps. Along those lines: Has anyone seen a way to add a secondary oil cooler on the Talon or the Pioneer? (should this be another thread?)

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!