P1000 tailgate

Bombardier Convert

Bombardier Convert

Oct 3, 2021
Minnesota USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Anyone have any idea how much weight the tail gate can hold safely? I am only about 170 lbs but I don't dare to try sitting on it. It probably wouldn't even hold a case of light beer!! I am thinking about bolting on a strip of maybe half inch plywood across on the inside. Any other thoughts or ideas?

Reactions: Buggyman and Farmer
Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Anyone have any idea how much weight the tail gate can hold safely? I am only about 170 lbs but I don't dare to try sitting on it. It probably wouldn't even hold a case of light beer!! I am thinking about bolting on a strip of maybe half inch plywood across on the inside. Any other thoughts or ideas?
I have had 300 lbs of horsefeed in sacks halfway in the bed and half on the tailgate. It would probably hold 200 lbs. with no problem. Tailgate stiffener for Honda 1000-5 and 700 models

Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I wondered about the tailgate not laying flat until I had the tool box in the back. Left the toolbox open, left the tailgate down and went up a big steep hill. Got back to where I wanted be and seen what I'd done and noticed that the tailgate had stopped everything from sliding out. This was a fence toolbox. There was small splice fittings, fencing staples, ratchets, sockets, all kinds of stuff. Would of been bad if I would of lost it. Metal will kill a cow, and you'd never pick it all up out of the pasture. That's when decided I didn't need the tailgate mod. Just my 2 cents.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I wondered about the tailgate not laying flat until I had the tool box in the back. Left the toolbox open, left the tailgate down and went up a big steep hill. Got back to where I wanted be and seen what I'd done and noticed that the tailgate had stopped everything from sliding out. This was a fence toolbox. There was small splice fittings, fencing staples, ratchets, sockets, all kinds of stuff. Would of been bad if I would of lost it. Metal will kill a cow, and you'd never pick it all up out of the pasture. That's when decided I didn't need the tailgate mod. Just my 2 cents.
Well I agree.

Reactions: WagginTail
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Maybe close the tailgate before going up steep hills with cargo back there? 🤔

🤣🤣🤣🤣

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Anyone have any idea how much weight the tail gate can hold safely?

260 lb (bouncing) with out an issue.
I'm sure the tail gate can be broken but I have not seen pictures of a broken (stock) tailgate on line.
(dose the gate buckle in the middle or do the cables let go? No pictures so I don't know)
So my take is there is more scare mongering (about the strength) than actual need for a fix.
I'm guessing honda has been making tailgates longer than most people realize.

If you wanting a flat tailgate or you modified your tailgate to be flat and now s*** slides off when the gate flexes, see the suggestions above for places to spend your money.

Bombardier Convert

Bombardier Convert

Oct 3, 2021
Minnesota USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'm sure the tail gate can be broken but I have not seen pictures of a broken (stock) tailgate on line.
(dose the gate buckle in the middle or do the cables let go? No pictures so I don't know)
So my take is there is more scare mongering (about the strength) than actual need for a fix.

If you wanting a flat tailgate or you modified your tailgate to be flat and now s*** slides off when the gate flexes, see the suggestions above for places to spend your money.
Great answer! Thanks!

S

SaltwaterSlick

Jul 20, 2022
Southeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I put Jason's stiffener on mine. I can stand on it and load corn in feeders now without issue... I'm 6'-3" and weigh in at about 240, plus that bag of corn... Stiffener works just fine... CAUTION!!! It allows the tailgate to lie flat, so if you're going up a steep hill and have stuff in the back, CLOSE THE TAILGATE! 👍 🤣

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2

They're basically blow molded plastic with a pipe running through them... I have seen the stock cables break the aluminum or pot metal loops pretty easy but usually the brackets just bend a bit.

The stock cables usually let go when someone's beasting through a hole with a fully loaded cooler on the back. Or worse yet... two dudes standing/bouncing on it to get through a hole. One user on here reported that he broke a fairly older pair of my cables but later admitted it was farm/road use in a pretty corrosive environment. By then I had already switched to all stainless cable vs galvanized and haven't heard any complaints.

There's a tailgate thread on here somewhere where I made my own heavy duty tailgate but had issues making them affordable. Shipping was going to be a killer.

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
anybody have a clue why the hell Honda has the tailgate tilted up /un level

To answer your question.......nope...they've never explained it. I was even part of a paid survey from Honda back in 2014 and many on there noted the un-flat tailgate. It's Honda, they do weird stuff.

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!