Talk me out of trading my P 1000-5

F

FarmWeather

Dec 28, 2020
Mississippi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a 2020 P1000-5. I have put a roof on it, winch, and windshield. Has less than 600 miles. I am a Honda guy, but this thing is so hot and dust just boils up into the cab. I have 4 children and the heat in the cab is miserable. Its got loads of power, and I'm sure would be very reliable long term, but ready to go the Defender route. My understanding is my 2020 should have the heat reducing materials on it from factory. Am I missing something ?

Reactions: TxDoc
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think you are missing the fact that it does not have most of the heat reducing materials. What it has is a rubber sheet under the front seat. That's it.

The front windshield creates a vacuum behind it, so a lot of the dust comes in due to that. Adding a back windshield can help a lot with the dust.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I have a 2020 P1000-5. I have put a roof on it, winch, and windshield. Has less than 600 miles. I am a Honda guy, but this thing is so hot and dust just boils up into the cab. I have 4 children and the heat in the cab is miserable. Its got loads of power, and I'm sure would be very reliable long term, but ready to go the Defender route. My understanding is my 2020 should have the heat reducing materials on it from factory. Am I missing something ?
Under seat fan, fan, fan, fan, fan, fan blowing across the headers is the only cure. It's a quick cure! And you can still have the heat in the Winter?

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think you are missing the fact that it does not have most of the heat reducing materials. What it has is a rubber sheet under the front seat. That's it.

The front windshield creates a vacuum behind it, so a lot of the dust comes in due to that. Adding a back windshield can help a lot with the dust.
This goes for all sxs. Dust really isn’t an issue for me, I have a rear window from satv. I also have a mid panel i use in the winter to keep the front out of the weather more with soft doors.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Dust sucks. I use a mid panel in the summer and a wind screen in the rear. The bilge fan under the seat is the best solution to heat and steam like @Smitty335 said. Never ending battle with SxS.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Have you considered ditching the windshield?

I had a windshield for the first year and all the dust it created and heat I ditched it in the summer the following year for a rouge power screen.
BIG difference in heat, dust and comfort.

I wear sunglasses when I ride anywhere. I honestly don’t understand why people want to have a windshield…it’s so much better without it. no mid panel no nothing. You’ll always have some small amount of dust.

honestly ditch the windshield for summer riding!

33EA6884 E514 4B71 A1CC 7F76FB0BB1E1

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I honestly don’t understand why people want to have a windshield…it’s so much better without it.

Cooler weather, precipitation, and avoiding getting covered in mud be the biggest factors for having a windshield, I'd think.

Last edited:
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Have you considered ditching the windshield?

I had a windshield for the first year and all the dust it created and heat I ditched it in the summer the following year for a rouge power screen.
BIG difference in heat, dust and comfort.

I wear sunglasses when I ride anywhere. I honestly don’t understand why people want to have a windshield…it’s so much better without it. no mid panel no nothing. You’ll always have some small amount of dust.

honestly ditch the windshield for summer riding!

View attachment 297840
Not to mention your heads won’t roast when you and your family wear their helmets.

I get the reason why some put a full cab on…I do it for the fall / winter months for ice fishing and plowing.

AB7C914A EF4A 4EC4 B5BF 254140273707474DF276 EEEA 4538 BCC3 49540B17D6A3

botom line is Windshield / cab in summer equals riding in a microwave.

A SATV flip out windshield is maybe another alternative. I don’t care for it as I like the breeze and ability to remove my windscreen for transport.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you get some foil faced bubble insulation at Lowe’s you can use it to create a under seat blanket and tuck it up behind the rear seat. This helps a lot.

don’t forget that the thing you are correcting, you’ll like in the colder months.

Reactions: Rick53 and Squeegee
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I’m on my 3rd summer on the original power screen. Probably will get another several years. Imo it’s worth the money.

when I need to haul my pioneer on my flat bed, I simply unzip the screen and roll it up.

when driving it, you have the full power of the P1k5 to use…IE you can drive a legit 65 as you jump trail to trail.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Jacket? Lol

Seriously it’s crazy to see bike riders with cabs on their SXS but ride their harley without a windshield lol.
Many don't want to bundle up. I provided you with a scenario that addressed your comment. To each thier own.

Harley Davidson? You couldn't pay me to ride one. Spent almost all my road years on Honda VFRs, and a Kawasaki Concours. Far, far superior machines.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Many don't want to bundle up. I provided you with a scenario that addressed your comment. To each thier own.

Harley Davidson? You couldn't pay me to ride one. Spent almost all my road years on Honda VFRs, and a Kawasaki Concours. Far, far superior machines.
🤷‍♂️
Point still remains. Make of bike matters not.

Ride your bike in the rain what do you put on? A rain jacket or wait it out under a overpass.

I’ve waited out many rainstorms under the roof of my P1k5…It’s not a big deal.

Windshield equals dust and heat it’s simple physics. It creates a area of low pressure that keeps the heat and dust in that zone.

It’s silly to have a windshield or cab in the summer and complain about the heat and dust.

the only true fix to both is to loose the windshield. Anything else is a half fix at best.

There should be like a warning sticker on the windshields that state adding this will increase cab heat and dust.

I guess one could only ride after rains. 🤷‍♂️

there has got to be over a thousand threads on this topic …and it’s the same reaction when someone suggests losing the windshield. It’s quite hilarious!

It never fails when I’m riding in group rides in high heat…every one gets out of their cabs or windshield rigs sweating off their junk, dripping in sweat complaining about the heat. They are amazed that my family while hot are usually not breaking a sweat at all.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
It’s silly to have a windshield or cab in the summer and complain about the heat and dust.

the only true fix to both is to loose the windshield. Anything else is a half fix at best.
It's even sillier to think your answer is the only right answer for EVERYBODY and EVERY situation.

But ... whatever helps you sleep at night.

Todd627

Todd627

HondaSxS Club Stress Management Director
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI
I can’t imagine not having my satv flip-up, its perfect and trailers just fine.
SATV flip up is the best of both worlds. @Vikes79 is correct about the easiest way of getting heat out of the cab, ditch the windshield (or flip it up) and remove the back / mid panel and doors.

R

rickoshea

It's even sillier to think your answer is the only right answer for EVERYBODY and EVERY situation.

But ... whatever helps you sleep at night.
why do you care? not your machine,not your problem.op,lose the windshield,buy a full face helmet.doesn't matter what machine you drive,it will have the same issue.this issue has been beat to death.

Todd627

Todd627

HondaSxS Club Stress Management Director
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI
@FarmWeather what brand/model windshield do you have? Being in Mississippi does the weather actually get very "cool"? That Rogue Powersports Mesh Screen @Vikes79 recommended might be a good option in your climate - have seen great reviews on this product.

F

FarmWeather

Dec 28, 2020
Mississippi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@FarmWeather what brand/model windshield do you have? Being in Mississippi does the weather actually get very "cool"? That Rogue Powersports Mesh Screen @Vikes79 recommended might be a good option in your climate - have seen great reviews on this product.
I have the SuperATV flip up windshield. I flip it up and that def helps. To the folks that say they all have heat issues, I understand that. I am an outdoorsman, I am realistic. However from talking to friends, the Defenders do not have the excessive heat that I have.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
why do you care? not your machine,not your problem.op,lose the windshield,buy a full face helmet.doesn't matter what machine you drive,it will have the same issue.this issue has been beat to death.
I don't. I've clearly said, multiple times, TO EACH THEIR OWN.

I'm not the one saying "my opinion is the only one that is right".

Last edited:
Reactions: crewcabrob

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!