Talon Talon 1000R Service

N

Nick179

Apr 30, 2019
Central Valley
Ownership

1. Talon R
Hello, Quick question how many of you are doing the valve check at 100 mile service?
Dealer or did you do it yourself?
Did you just change oil?

I am being told that it is some where around $500 service, I was shocked.
I do have some mechanical knowledge, I have a dirtbike racing background, but I just would think that a valve check this soon would be over kill or am I way wrong?

Thank you

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Hi,
Assuming the Talon is much like the Pioneer in regards then its recommended you only do the valves "IF NEEDED, if noisy". The owners manual even states that!

Valve adjustment on the 1000 drivetrain is a little more involved than most think. Only the exhaust can be easily adjusted with tools by removing the entire cylinder head cover. The intake actually requires the removal of the cam and new shims ordered if needed.

This engine is assembled in Japan under very high specs.
While I'm' sure there has been some. I can not recall anyone bringing the topic of valves adjustment up as a concern.

Most people and even dealers charging >$200 only do the engine/dct oil.

Reactions: Fordman
Talonpalooza

Talonpalooza

Feb 25, 2019
Michigan
Ownership

1. Talon X
Many of us did oil change, drive oil and sub tran oil our self. Easy peasy. Keep records, take photos... As far as valve check. There are several threads around here regarding valve seat. If you are concerned I would take to dealer to check. Also, if I find mine to be out of tolerance I will take to dealer for adjustment. I can adjust, but I want to make sure my warranty is in force. Unfortunately, I think I know more about my Talon and service than my local dealer (where I did not buy). I will probably trailer mine 70 miles away when I need service.

N

Nick179

Apr 30, 2019
Central Valley
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thank you hondasxs and Talompalooza for the feed back.
The oil change no biggie, I would do that myself, I was just wondering about the valves, I wouldn't think there would be an issue this early on.

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Hi,
Assuming the Talon is much like the Pioneer in regards then its recommended you only do the valves "IF NEEDED, if noisy". The owners manual even states that!

Valve adjustment on the 1000 drivetrain is a little more involved than most think. Only the exhaust can be easily adjusted with tools by removing the entire cylinder head cover. The intake actually requires the removal of the cam and new shims ordered if needed.

This engine is assembled in Japan under very high specs.
While I'm' sure there has been some. I can not recall anyone bringing the topic of valves adjustment up as a concern.

Most people and even dealers charging >$200 only do the engine/dct oil.

According to the Honda Service Manual for the first service (100 miles), (as Hondasxs stated) valve clearance inspection is only required "if engine is noisy". Also, regarding oil:
  • Replace engine oil and oil filter
  • Check sub-transmission oil [does NOT say to replace it other than "Every 2 years (regardless of mileage)"]
  • Replace DCT oil filter
  • Replace front and rear final gear oil
There are a few other inspection requirements (idle speed, fuel lines, brakes, shift lever adjustment). My dealer said the first maintenance would run about $300, but I'll likely do it myself and save the money. IF my valves were noisy I'd probably let them do the service, but at least for now (only have about 50 miles on it), they're fine.

Steve

D

DAJO

Mar 31, 2019
Indiana, Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
My engine is so loud at idle I don't know how valve noise could even be heard. It makes a gear type wine noise. I have heard other Japanese engines that hey said noise was from the charging system. Exhaust and intake is never heard over the gear type wine. Nobody else hears this?

J

JimmyTalon

Apr 13, 2019
SE Minnesota
Ownership

1. Talon R
Yes, I hear that gear whine too. At idle it dominates.

H

HondaTech

My engine is so loud at idle I don't know how valve noise could even be heard. It makes a gear type wine noise. I have heard other Japanese engines that hey said noise was from the charging system. Exhaust and intake is never heard over the gear type wine. Nobody else hears this?

The gear whine is the balancer gear, its spring loaded and the whining is that gear springing back and forth.

I've heard 1 with the balancer gear held solid with a bolt and it sounds like 2 gears grinding together.

D

DAJO

Mar 31, 2019
Indiana, Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
It is disappointing that a company like Honda would find the noise level acceptable. The loud noise is not just a idle. They did a great job quieting the intake and exhaust. Does the Africa Twin make that much noise?

S

Someguy

Jun 15, 2016
Krakow Wi.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I just did my first 100mi. oil and filter change and Diffs oil change.. No Issues. My question is i went to the dealer to get oil and filters, he showed me that the Talo requires full synthetic oil (Honda HP4S). Owners manual say Honda GN4. I dont mind using synthetic oil ($11. per qt.) Has anyone else heard this, and if so does it change the 1200 mile oil and filter change requirement. I would like to change the oil at the end of the season, and store it for the winter. I put on 12-1500 mi per year. the dealer couldnt answer this. I have been trying to call Honda but can't find a number. Thanks

B

bjniceguy

May 25, 2019
Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon R
don't take offense here, but it is funny listening to the Honda people complain about the shift clunk / gear whine. I have a Talon & a YXZ SS & I can tell you the Yamaha is atleast twice as loud a whine and when it shifts, it is a Solid hit sound, not a tink noise LOL. I hope my Talon stays this quite after get windows in it.

D

DAJO

Mar 31, 2019
Indiana, Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
I just did my first 100mi. oil and filter change and Diffs oil change.. No Issues. My question is i went to the dealer to get oil and filters, he showed me that the Talo requires full synthetic oil (Honda HP4S). Owners manual say Honda GN4. I dont mind using synthetic oil ($11. per qt.) Has anyone else heard this, and if so does it change the 1200 mile oil and filter change requirement. I would like to change the oil at the end of the season, and store it for the winter. I put on 12-1500 mi per year. the dealer couldnt answer this. I have been trying to call Honda but can't find a number. Thanks

Here is a phone number that is listed on Talon recall I got today on fan wiring. 800-784-1870 motorcycle customer service

S

Someguy

Jun 15, 2016
Krakow Wi.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Here is a phone number that is listed on Talon recall I got today on fan wiring. 800-784-1870 motorcycle customer service
Thank you sir. I'll post my findings.
Thanks for the info. Just talked to Honda powersports. Synthetic oil is not a requirement. You can use gn4 ,or hp4s. The miles is still the same at 1200.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
You say you have dirt bike background so if you’ve ever done valves on the CRF 250/450 unicam it’s just like that

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!