NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If the cap hasn't fallen out they wont replace it.
I know a guy that can help finish off that driveline for ya so that they will replace it. 🤣😂🤣

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Like this, Bob's photo -

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Does anyone know if the honda extended warranty covers this drive shaft? I have 2000 miles on my '19 Talon X and it sounds like the shaft is rattling like crazy at a steady speed.
@Plumber32 had the cap come all the way off yours when they covered it? I want to say yours did throw the cap off but couldn't remember.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Honda had several oversized yokes allowing the bearing cup to be hand assembled. The retainer clip will get spit out as the bearing cup turns. The bearing cup must have a proper press fit. My dealer let me get my 4th drive shaft spot welded. My other Talon is still ok with a bit over 6,000 miles on it. I marked the bearing cups and they have a good press fit. I carry a saw to cut the driveshaft in half so I can pull the drive shaft off the sub trans and drive it out in 2WD. With a 9 inch blade the drive shaft can be cut by going through the coolant drain hole in the skid plate. Paul F did a study and found several defective oversized drive shaft yokes. This one was beat up pretty good driving it 3 miles at low speed.

Honda Tech you should ask for another tech line tech that has experience installing a drive shaft U-joint. Techline can call in a couple of driveshafts and take them apart for inspection. Usually the U-joint at the other end will have a good press fit. Not all but most of the drive shaft failures I have seen are at the rear U-joint.

It was 45 years ago when I worked the powersports tech line for Honda. I worked my last 12 years on the Automotive tech line. We were ASE certified in everything. It was important for the tech line guys to install some warranty parts for testing and experience. Honda also had a model engineer for a difficult problem.

U joint5 Welded6

H

HondaTech

Honda had several oversized yokes allowing the bearing cup to be hand assembled. The retainer clip will get spit out as the bearing cup turns. The bearing cup must have a proper press fit. My dealer let me get my 4th drive shaft spot welded. My other Talon is still ok with a bit over 6,000 miles on it. I marked the bearing cups and they have a good press fit. I carry a saw to cut the driveshaft in half so I can pull the drive shaft off the sub trans and drive it out in 2WD. With a 9 inch blade the drive shaft can be cut by going through the coolant drain hole in the skid plate. Paul F did a study and found several defective oversized drive shaft yokes. This one was beat up pretty good driving it 3 miles at low speed.

Honda Tech you should ask for another tech line tech that has experience installing a drive shaft U-joint. Techline can call in a couple of driveshafts and take them apart for inspection. Usually the U-joint at the other end will have a good press fit. Not all but most of the drive shaft failures I have seen are at the rear U-joint.

It was 45 years ago when I worked the powersports tech line for Honda. I worked my last 12 years on the Automotive tech line. We were ASE certified in everything. It was important for the tech line guys to install some warranty parts for testing and experience. Honda also had a model engineer for a difficult problem.

View attachment 345001 View attachment 345002

They've called back several of ours, but the consensus from most of our Honda contacts is there isnt any issues with driveshafts.

To be honest most of the TECHLINE guys are uselsss.

D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Some of my caps had rotated slightly at 2000 miles, the shaft was removed and tack welded. Now over 14,000 miles, no failures.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!