H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
At 3,200 miles my buddy had the front U-joint fail. One bearing cap was gone. His Dif seal has been leaking from new too. That's 3 U-joints now with the two that failed on my Talon. Both of my U-joint failures were the rear U-joint on the front drive shaft. The yokes look ok. I think there is a few poor quality drive shafts with a loose bearing cap fit. I will be checking both U-joints frequently especially before a big remote ride. Removing the hood makes it easy to see the front U-joint. We carefully checked the C clips so if I have another failure I will have the bearing caps spot welded before the drive shaft is installed. I'm posting all the pictures from the three failures. The video and Pic 1 & 2 is the one that failed at 15,000 miles. Pic 3 & 5 is the one that failed at 1,800 miles and pic 8 is the front U-joint with one bearing cap missing. The video shows the loose bearing cap and the C clip worn into the yoke.

U joint 3k U joint5 U joint1 U joint2 U Joint8

Attachments

• U-joint29.mp4
    1.6 MB
HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
At 3,200 miles my buddy had the front U-joint fail. One bearing cap was gone. His Dif seal has been leaking from new too. That's 3 U-joints now with the two that failed on my Talon. Both of my U-joint failures were the rear U-joint on the front drive shaft. The yokes look ok. I think there is a few poor quality drive shafts with a loose bearing cap fit. I will be checking both U-joints frequently especially before a big remote ride. Removing the hood makes it easy to see the front U-joint. We carefully checked the C clips so if I have another failure I will have the bearing caps spot welded before the drive shaft is installed. I'm posting all the pictures from the three failures. The video and Pic 1 & 2 is the one that failed at 15,000 miles. Pic 3 & 5 is the one that failed at 1,800 miles and pic 8 is the front U-joint with one bearing cap missing. The video shows the loose bearing cap and the C clip worn into the yoke.

View attachment 269519 View attachment 269520 View attachment 269521 View attachment 269522 View attachment 269523
THATS IT ! I'm riding my RZR !

F

fartsalot

Jun 11, 2019
Near the Kansas Nascar race track
Ownership

1. Talon X
I inspect mine before every lengthy ride,, so far ok after 3300 miles, if I make it thru the summer I'm going to pull the shaft and have it rebuilt by a local drive line shop,,, and have it balanced !!

Reactions: Stilly1155
B

bjniceguy

May 25, 2019
Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon R
if this fails when on a long ride, does it just bang around (assuming you stay in 2 wheel) so you can still limp home or do you have to try to pull it in field? Does one end or other have bolt type u-joint for removing? Just trying to plan ahead if have issue

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Needless to say I'm pissed. My second replacement U-joint failed today. I checked both U-joints at my last oil change and they looked OK and all the C clips were in place. I checked the drive shaft before it was installed and all the C clips were installed properly. The service manage and tech both checked the drive shaft too. I'm at 22,130 miles now. My last oil change was about 400 miles ago. I was way out on a solo ride today and was lucky that it failed at the end of my ride. I could feel the vibration and as another Forum member said I could see the drive shaft wobble through the shifter holes. The bearing cup was still in the skid plate. I'm thinking I may just cut the drive shaft in half to remove it if I have this problem way out. Driving it or towing it will make the banging that may cause a huge failure if driven for several miles. I'm doing some testing tomorrow. I think the drive shaft will come off the sub trans and by removing the retainer ring it will come off the front dif clutch. I'm welding the replacement drive shaft this time. I'm installing a bearing cup and C clip tomorrow and welding the bearing cups on the rear failed U-joint tomorrow so I can ride it until I get another new drive shaft.

Shaft4 Shaft5 Shaft6 Shaft7

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!