Talon or other??

D

Dwcengland03

Mar 13, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon R
I currently own a ‘20 R and it’s been great but family is growing and bump seat won’t be enough later this year. Currently holding out for the 22’s to get announced but starting to get restless and considering switching to the dark side of belts. Has anyone here gone to (or come from) a rzr pro xp4 or x3 max ds turbo (non-rr or rr)? Curious to know pros / cons and why people switched back to a Talon? I purchased the Talon initially as I knew it may not be the quickest but it would get me home everyday (and it has) but we are almost 1/4 through ‘22 with no announcements and who knows they will take to get dealer stock out. I would be #7/8 on the waitlist at my local powerhouse dealership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sandsurfer

Sandsurfer

Feb 23, 2022
NM
Ownership

1. Talon X
First post. I just went to a 21 talon from a Polaris Ace. I actually liked the ace despite it being a bit tippy at times. I decided it was time to move onto a two seat model and the Talon was the number 2 pick on the list. Number one pick was a 22 can am x3 ds rr, which I currently have a deposit on. The rr has 200hp which would have been amazing but things with can am are jacked up as far as orders go. I had been given multiple failed delivery dates and then the icing on the cake was when my price went up. I decided that I was no longer interested in waiting and would only buy something actually in stock, which leads me to the Talon x. I searched 4 states for one with no luck and finally reached out to a friend in Missouri who located a new 21 and delivered it for me.

In this day in age, I would not order anything no matter what. A lot of this stuff is not going to be delivered until 2023 at this rate, and that's if Taiwan doesn't get dragged into their own war.

Keep your 20 until this shortage blows over.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Welcome to the club both of you @Dwcengland03 & @Sandsurfer
Before we take this convo further, we need one small thing! pics of your Honda machine! for verification. Its the first unspoken bible vrs of the forum Called…
PICS OR IT DIDNT HAPPEN!

Have a blessed day!

2 in one post Back to back! Holy smokes! 🥳

Also @Sandsurfer, Never heard of the state USA in your profile! Inlighten us 😂

PS, friends dont let friends drive Poo Poo’s! I mean Polaris! 🔥🔥🔥 thats all u need to know!
B195FB99 29DD 403B 9B5E 83BAFA80CC30

Last edited:
D

Dwcengland03

Mar 13, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon R
First post. I just went to a 21 talon from a Polaris Ace. I actually liked the ace despite it being a bit tippy at times. I decided it was time to move onto a two seat model and the Talon was the number 2 pick on the list. Number one pick was a 22 can am x3 ds rr, which I currently have a deposit on. The rr has 200hp which would have been amazing but things with can am are jacked up as far as orders go. I had been given multiple failed delivery dates and then the icing on the cake was when my price went up. I decided that I was no longer interested in waiting and would only buy something actually in stock, which leads me to the Talon x. I searched 4 states for one with no luck and finally reached out to a friend in Missouri who located a new 21 and delivered it for me.

In this day in age, I would not order anything no matter what. A lot of this stuff is not going to be delivered until 2023 at this rate, and that's if Taiwan doesn't get dragged into their own war.

Keep your 20 until this shortage blows over.

I totally agree and plan to hold on to my until the new machine arrives (either way). In reality won’t be needing a 4th seat until next spring but I know how long things are going to take to arrive.

Reactions: Blownzuki
Sandsurfer

Sandsurfer

Feb 23, 2022
NM
Ownership

1. Talon X
I have this feeling that I am going to need my talon to last me awhile. I keep wondering what the 22 year model will bring forward, but I'm not expecting much. I figured if I didn't act quickly on my 21, I'd lose my chance. Since honda is basically selling every talon x that they can produce, I see little incentive for them to make much for changes at this time. Big changes cause lots of problems with parts in the supply line.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
View attachment 322601

Sorry for not posting a picture. Here is my R from a ride in January in Utah.

Nice rig! And in the snow!! Always liked the green. Mine is an Orange x
now for the other FNG to post a pic! 😂
heres mine…
20E40628 2FF1 4C0A ACEE 44D2E51AC9B8

M

mykaos

Aug 7, 2019
AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I'll go out on a limb here and reply to the OP and my hope is this will be interpreted as objective feedback. Talon, Pro, X-3 all have advantages and disadvantages and offer a SxS riding experience that was a fantasy for the average person not that long ago.

Start with our adventures with the Pioneer 1000 and how we got to a RZR Pro 4:

The RZR Pro is not a RZR XP. The Pro is its own design. To the best of my knowledge it shares nothing with the XP other than the RZR namesake.
The Pro uses a 1 piece frame, 1 piece fore/aft cage sections, redesigned suspension, liquid cooled turbo center section, improved coolant flow for the head, rear seats that are actually useable, etc..

As of this morning our Pro has 916 miles of AZ narrow, rough, rocky trails. Between the week of 3/8-14/22 and this past weekend alone, we spent 9 full days in it. The the belt (aka: the rubber band) has performed flawlessly. Proper belt break-in is everything. 10 easy miles in low range at varying speeds, 10 miles in high range at varying speeds, easy on the go pedal. Did this twice, a 2nd time for the spare OEM belt... most painful 40 miles ever... lol.

What we like:
The Fox Dynamic suspension. Simply amazing at how plush and well planted a machine can be.
The seating. The stadium style rear seating along with the fold-flat option was a big factor in our decision. The retractable front harnesses is bonus.
Tilt / telescopic steering wheel and gauges I can read without wearing my readers.
Aftermarket options. The Pro was introduced in '20 and already has substantially more support than the Talon or Pioneer that were introduced when???
Pretty good LED hi beam factory headlights.
13 gallon gas tank. We use about 6 gallons a day +/-.
Yes, the turbo is fun and very drivable but hardly useful for our choice of trails.
Extremely comfortable machine. Our average daily trail miles have doubled (we track / record our rides w/ OnX).
I am actually very impressed with the performance and durability of Carnivor tires in the rocks.
No body rattles, no squeaks.
So far we like the Ride Command. I use it mainly for a GPS point of reference as it does not show trails for the majority of the areas we explore.
The 4wd (actually functions closer to AWD) works perfectly.

What we question:
Factory tender springs gave up within the 1st 300 miles or so and after I added 400 + pounds of "things". Cured that problem with aftermarket tenders and a bit of my time. Now it sits appropriately for our use.
Unacceptable factory LED low beam headlights.
Cheap body panel fit / finish.
Uncomplete dealer PDI (a dealer issue, not manufacture).
Garbage factory skid plates (like all of them)(cured this w/ aftermarket skids).
Disappointing Rockford Fosgate audio (definitely not the R/F quality I have in my truck).
No fenders. Cured this with the Polaris fender kit.
Heat off the radiators (yes there are 2). Any riding below 70* it's a non-issue. Get up around 80* annoying, over 100* (um hello, I live in AZ) it's well... we don't take it out much then. Same challenge with the Pioneer.
Exhaust noise level. The boys say it growls. It does sound good. At times I do miss the "quietness" of the Honda but I do not miss the gear whine or the jerkiness of the DTC (why Honda won't duplicate the smoothness the Gold Wing DTC offers is beyond me..). The heavy feel of the steering. However, it does go exactly where you point it every time, every speed.
No engine braking. I get why as most of these are used WOT 10' in the air. We are not most. I drive around it with no issue however it would be nice to see an aftermarket offering.
Lack of "open" option for the rear differential. Rear tires take a beating on asphalt and tight trail maneuvers.

20220312 131908

20220319 140918
20220319 143749

When we made the decision to make a change from the Pioneer, we developed a short "must have" list:
Improved suspension (over the Pioneer) that is electronically adjustable (Talon, RZR Pro, Can Am X-3).
Stadium style rear seating (Talon / RZR Pro) (rules out Can Am).
Not 72" wide (Talon / RZR Pro) (rules out Can Am since Smart Shox is only available in 72" wide).
Availability (ruled out Talon).

We never planned color coordinated, same manufacture machines... lol.

Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon X4
If you are not unhappy with the belt, CVT transmission, or reliability of the Pro, I don't think you will want to move to the Talon. I think the Talon falls short in many of the aspects you like about the Pro and doesn't really do better on any of it's shortcomings. Love my Talon and wouldn't trade it for anything though.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
its a balance as not even the honda talon is close to polished in many major areas ad the only reason I am keeping it is the pure joy of the DCT, I don't need more hp

was just considering switching to the can am x3 -low HP base model for 3 reasons;
1. Suspension has to be better than my stock X, anything is better
2. 30" tires, stock on X3
3. Power steering - seems if u switch to a larger tire issues arise

it came down to dropping $2K into a machine I bought for $18K new.

I just had all the shocks of my X done and now it is actually enjoyable to drive in, found a set of 90% new 30x10x15's for $200 on fu$*book - concerned I will then have to drop another $300 to fund Pauls retirement account to get consistent power steering when I put the 30's on......
IMG 6155
IMG 6108
IMG 6158

IMG 6158 IMG 6155

advertisement
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
its a balance as not even the honda talon is close to polished in many major areas ad the only reason I am keeping it is the pure joy of the DCT, I don't need more hp

was just considering switching to the can am x3 -low HP base model for 3 reasons;
1. Suspension has to be better than my stock X, anything is better
2. 30" tires, stock on X3
3. Power steering - seems if u switch to a larger tire issues arise

it came down to dropping $2K into a machine I bought for $18K new.

I just had all the shocks of my X done and now it is actually enjoyable to drive in, found a set of 90% new 30x10x15's for $200 on fu$*book - concerned I will then have to drop another $300 to fund Pauls retirement account to get consistent power steering when I put the 30's on......View attachment 325766View attachment 325764View attachment 325765

View attachment 325762 View attachment 325763
Your rig looks great!
who was it that did your shocks I can see somewhat of a sticker there, And what that set u back? If u dont mind me asking?

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
thanks for the compliment

FCR Suspension out of Ohio did the work, new tender springs, re-used stock main springs, billet adjusters nuts, re-valve and added the schrader valve caps. Under $1500 but I dropped off and picked up so no shipping. I am pleased with the ride now and the clickers on the shocks are now crisp/firm, my hunch is the stock rubber nipples leaked gas out as well.

I also heard G-Force out of Tennessee has a good setup for the stock shocks.

R

Ray21

Mar 1, 2021
AK
Ownership

1. Talon R
Went from a '21 1000R LV to a '21 X3 Max XRS RR. I wanted to move to a four seater and the X-4 just couldn't compare to the other models.

Suspension and power are much better, like a whole other level above the R. In the sand I couldn't use 6th gear in the R, it would just bog. The R rode very stiff when putting around but did great when driving aggressively over rough trails, aside from the bucking. X3 is just plush under all conditions and also feels more stable when hauling ass. X3 is quieter. Seats are more comfortable and is more roomy. I'm 6'2" and the R felt cramped toward the end of a long ride.

Honda fit and finish is better than the X3. I miss being able to downshift and swing around a corner with the R. If Honda comes out with a turbo 1000R-4 I will consider switching back over. Otherwise, very impressed with the X3.

IngoTheBarbarian

IngoTheBarbarian

Sep 25, 2021
US
Went from a '21 1000R LV to a '21 X3 Max XRS RR. I wanted to move to a four seater and the X-4 just couldn't compare to the other models.

Suspension and power are much better, like a whole other level above the R. In the sand I couldn't use 6th gear in the R, it would just bog. The R rode very stiff when putting around but did great when driving aggressively over rough trails, aside from the bucking. X3 is just plush under all conditions and also feels more stable when hauling ass. X3 is quieter. Seats are more comfortable and is more roomy. I'm 6'2" and the R felt cramped toward the end of a long ride.

Honda fit and finish is better than the X3. I miss being able to downshift and swing around a corner with the R. If Honda comes out with a turbo 1000R-4 I will consider switching back over. Otherwise, very impressed with the X3.
What did you pay for the Can-Am?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

IngoTheBarbarian

IngoTheBarbarian

Sep 25, 2021
US
I paid $32,348 out the door for the Canned-Ham lol. Which isn't too bad, I think.

For the Talon R I paid $24,598 out the door.
That's really good. You couldn't get a used one with 4k miles for that here.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!