Talon Talon owner's first impressions?

jasond

jasond

Lifetime Member
Mar 15, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
  • I've got 57 miles on mine so far and I'll echo the positive comments about the DCT braking. It's excellent and should really improve brake pad life (especially comparing to my RZR experiences). Hearing a SxS actually shift was so foreign at first, but the more I drive it the more I like it.
  • I don't mind the 74/75 MPH speed limiter, but it definitely seems like it's got more to give if it weren't limited.
  • Cab heat is noticeable, but not unbearable. I plan to add some adhesive-backed aluminized heat barrier to at least the cup holders to keep the metal tumblers cooler, but I'll probably go ahead and do the entire console while it's out.
  • I'm interested to see how much mud gets up in the front area under the dash/on the firewall. That area is very wide open which looks like it'll be a blessing and a curse when it comes time to clean, but we'll see.

Reactions: TimG and DRKnight
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I am in touch with Hillbilly brake. Hes working on a Talon unit as we speak. I'm in line for proto type testing if he needs it.

rbtnt

rbtnt

Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2015
Ownership

1. Talon X
55 miles on mine. Looking to get different tires that will do a better job cleaning the mud out of the tread.
Lots of mud under the hood behind the "rubber mud cover". Looking to add more rubber towards the passenger side and below the current cover. You really can't see the mud unless you look behind the cover.
Noticed some heat coming up around the shifter that may need addressed when the weather warms up.
I'm happy with the ride, fit and finish. The safety nets did keep some of the large chunks of mud from going in the cab on turns.

Reactions: N8theGR8 and TimG
D

DAJO

Mar 31, 2019
Indiana, Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
Finally got a chance to drive the R today. I really like it so far. Don't notice any jerky problems from the throttle. Have been driving RZR and they don't seem any different. The one thing I really notice is the loud wine from engine/gearbox? Hope it will get less as it breaks in. The suspension is just like everyone says, sharp jolt to my back from hitting holes. Currently have shock therapy springs on my 900XP they are much better in the initial travel at the expense of body roll. Seems like a lighter top spring would help. Have not tried adjusting crossover yet. As to power it sure seems to have plenty to me.

Reactions: TimG
D

DAJO

Mar 31, 2019
Indiana, Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
55 miles on mine. Looking to get different tires that will do a better job cleaning the mud out of the tread.
Lots of mud under the hood behind the "rubber mud cover". Looking to add more rubber towards the passenger side and below the current cover. You really can't see the mud unless you look behind the cover.
Noticed some heat coming up around the shifter that may need addressed when the weather warms up.
I'm happy with the ride, fit and finish. The safety nets did keep some of the large chunks of mud from going in the cab on turns.

When I look under the front cover it looks like they forgot to install rubber mud cover on the passenger side it even has holes that would work for the plastic rivets. Looked in parts fiche, no passenger cover is shown.

Reactions: nm6r and TimG
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
When I look under the front cover it looks like they forgot to install rubber mud cover on the passenger side it even has holes that would work for the plastic rivets. Looked in parts fiche, no passenger cover is shown.
I noticed that also. I looked at 3 others at Takeover this year. All of them are missing that panel. Must have been some reason why they left these off of the final production units. I am going to cut one out and mount it as it looks like it should be. Maybe heat was the reason? I'll report back when I get it installed and tested.

Reactions: nm6r and TimG
B

bjniceguy

May 25, 2019
Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon R
years ago someone offered a flip up bracket that held the brake pedal down on a RZR to use as parking brake & keep the pressure off the park gear in steep areas. Not sure if still out there or if could be adapted to work on Talon

Reactions: Smitty335
nm6r

nm6r

Jun 7, 2019
Sandia Park, NM
Ownership

1. Talon R
I too noticed the passenger side panel 'missing'. I sent pics to the dealer. He contacted Honda and they said that's the way it's suppose to be. He also checked their other Talons and of course the panel wasn't there. It seems really odd to me and am also considering putting one in.

Here are my first ride impressions of new R compared to RZR. These are just the most notable items that caught my attention.

The seat back is not as comfortable as RZR but it is designed for a harness so that will be nice.

The gear shift is a work of art. It feels very refined. The RZR always felt primitive.

Put it in gear and go. Not like CVT where you have to give it gas to engage.

The instrumentation is much nicer. The items that need to be easy to read, are. (ie. speedo, gear position, etc.)

Downhill braking is amazing. Between the transmission downshifting and the EBD system, there is no comparison to the RZR engine braking.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
  • I've got 57 miles on mine so far and I'll echo the positive comments about the DCT braking. It's excellent and should really improve brake pad life (especially comparing to my RZR experiences). Hearing a SxS actually shift was so foreign at first, but the more I drive it the more I like it.
  • I don't mind the 74/75 MPH speed limiter, but it definitely seems like it's got more to give if it weren't limited.
  • Cab heat is noticeable, but not unbearable. I plan to add some adhesive-backed aluminized heat barrier to at least the cup holders to keep the metal tumblers cooler, but I'll probably go ahead and do the entire console while it's out.
  • I'm interested to see how much mud gets up in the front area under the dash/on the firewall. That area is very wide open which looks like it'll be a blessing and a curse when it comes time to clean, but we'll see.
Im going to wait until I’ve gotten mine on the trail properly before getting too detailed. At this point however everything is awesome about it save the turning radius, it is a Fox 4. If that’s my only gripe, I will be well pleased.

N8theGR8

N8theGR8

Oct 3, 2019
Central Texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
Do Talons have high-elevation issues with maintaining low end and torque? I have a Pioneer 700-4 but want to get into crawling/climbing sometime in the future and would need that suspension travel? Thanks!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!