Bought a new '23 X4, first impressions

A

adudes

Supporting Member
Jul 23, 2021
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
I traded in the '19 X2 for a new '23 X4. I have always been a Honda guy, from our first ATC185S to being a tech for 10 years at a dealership. I have always felt and said Honda is second to none when it comes to quality and fit and finish. They were never the fastest or best suspended machine. But oil, gas and a daily beating and they would run forever. Having worked on all makes, I always said I would never buy anything but Honda.

A few things I noticed on my X4. Keep in mind, these are very small issues and all of them may not be the fault of Honda, but the dealer set-up department.

I bought the Honda fuse box, mount and bus bar kit. I made my own on the X2, but for $400 I wanted to try the Honda kit. There is a QR code in the box that takes you to the installation instructions on the Honda website. Except there are no instructions for the '23 X4, the instructions for the '22 models are there but they are slightly different, and the part numbers are slightly different. Not hard to figure out but there are differences as they have changed a few small things. I had to chase multiple threads as the bolts got tight a few threads in. When installing the bus bar bracket, I had to grind down the tab because it was hitting the weld on the frame and I couldn't start the bolt.

The one thing that really pissed me off was a lot of the allen head bolts were damaged, either from a rounded off allen wrench or the incorrect size allen wrench. I had a hard time removing a few of them in the bed to bolt down my box.

2 of the roof bolts had the rubber washer squeezed out from under the bolt head. On the X2, I don't remember the rubber washer or o-ring being there.

The bolt front and center for the roof is the wrong bolt. It should be a allen head bolt like the rest and not a hex head.

A big air bubble under the door decal.

Again, small issues. I haven't found anything loose yet like some have but things I never seen on a brand new Honda before.

20231223 120850 20231223 135525 20231223 154416 20231223 154151

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Woohoo. Congratulations on the new ride.
Ya, those issues be been complaining about for years. Bolts put on by Herkules himself have beaten many strong men down. lol.

As for the instructions. There are 2 versions for 2023. the 2023 S model and the NOT S models.

This makes me ask, Did you get the S or NOT S models? I think the Not S.
The not S model has the new full lower doors from factory. That's how you can tell without looking it up.
Knowing this will be important in ordering parts as there are many parts on the 2023 "S" that are different than the NOT S model.
Axles, Hubs, PS unit, some frame parts....

But.. I want to request your feedback on riding it vs your 2019.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I traded in the '19 X2 for a new '23 X4. I have always been a Honda guy, from our first ATC185S to being a tech for 10 years at a dealership. I have always felt and said Honda is second to none when it comes to quality and fit and finish. They were never the fastest or best suspended machine. But oil, gas and a daily beating and they would run forever. Having worked on all makes, I always said I would never buy anything but Honda.

A few things I noticed on my X4. Keep in mind, these are very small issues and all of them may not be the fault of Honda, but the dealer set-up department.

I bought the Honda fuse box, mount and bus bar kit. I made my own on the X2, but for $400 I wanted to try the Honda kit. There is a QR code in the box that takes you to the installation instructions on the Honda website. Except there are no instructions for the '23 X4, the instructions for the '22 models are there but they are slightly different, and the part numbers are slightly different. Not hard to figure out but there are differences as they have changed a few small things. I had to chase multiple threads as the bolts got tight a few threads in. When installing the bus bar bracket, I had to grind down the tab because it was hitting the weld on the frame and I couldn't start the bolt.

The one thing that really pissed me off was a lot of the allen head bolts were damaged, either from a rounded off allen wrench or the incorrect size allen wrench. I had a hard time removing a few of them in the bed to bolt down my box.

2 of the roof bolts had the rubber washer squeezed out from under the bolt head. On the X2, I don't remember the rubber washer or o-ring being there.

The bolt front and center for the roof is the wrong bolt. It should be a allen head bolt like the rest and not a hex head.

Again, small issues. I haven't found anything loose yet like some have but things I never seen on a brand new Honda before.

View attachment 412771 View attachment 412772 View attachment 412773 View attachment 412774
Congrats on the new ride!

Ridinfool

Ridinfool

NTC’ s special Ed student of the year
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 20, 2020
Western North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ya, those issues be been complaining about for years. Bolts put on by Herkules himself have beaten many strong men down. lol.

As for the instructions. There are 2 versions for 2023. the 2023 S model and the NOT S models.

The not S model has the new full lower doors from factory. That's how you can tell without looking it up.
Knowing this will be important in ordering parts as there are many parts on the 2023 "S" that are different than the NOT S model.

Thanks.
I looked at one a couple months ago and the ID sticker on the rear frame had it as a 2023 S but I believe it had the lower door section, so I didn’t bother to really pursue it any further, not to mention the sales guy didn’t even flinch when I asked if there was any wiggle room on the price.

Ridinfool

Ridinfool

NTC’ s special Ed student of the year
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 20, 2020
Western North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5

View attachment 412771 View attachment 412772 View attachment 412773 View attachment 412774
Thanks for posting this, definitely will look a lot closer when buying one.
Also…
Nice buggy, congrats

A

adudes

Supporting Member
Jul 23, 2021
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
Check your sub trans oil level, both of mine were delivered with 2/3 of spec'd oil.
I did check it after hearing about a few that were low or empty. Mine was at the bottom mark, so I topped it off

Thanks.
I did get a true '23 model with the full doors, not an S model. I even contacted Honda customer service and she agreed they are not on the powersports website for my machine. As for the ride, I too am curious how it is vs. my '19

20231222 091851

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
The one thing that really pissed me off was a lot of the allen head bolts were damaged, either from a rounded off allen wrench or the incorrect size allen wrench. I had a hard time removing a few of them in the bed to bolt down my box
I'd bet the bank they used the wrong size as I've had to do the same thing. I've removed the doors on my machine a couple times and swore I'd never do it again. Thought I had every allen wrench in the book, even mid size ones and nothing fit those door bolts correctly. There must be a Japan size or something?

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X

hi - thanks - that to me is all minor cosmetic and while shouldn't be that way, its kinda honda stupid. not sure what stuff the wash boy at the dealership gets to bolt on so may be dealer workmanship as well

real questions - how is the suspension, I get It is gonna a longer wheelbase is gonna ride better, but you think they made an improvement with the Showa boingers?, power steering beefed up should also feel better?

the rest of the platform my guess is just the basic motor\dct - any felt changes to the ECM tune from Honda?

Reactions: Smitty335
PW2022

PW2022

Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2022
Montana
Ownership

1. Talon R

I can relate. Took delivery of a 2022 Talon last December and much of the same issues. The i-4wd light was on, pieces and screws missing, the right front wheel/tire towed out 3" and the decal on the driver door looks like it was installed by a wino they found in the street.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: Backwoods and CID
D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Not sure I can relate. I bought a Polaris pro r ultimate to be Stir the pota dedicated duner (keeping the talon also)and it's perfect in every way. The suspension simply next level😇

PW2022

PW2022

Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2022
Montana
Ownership

1. Talon R
Not sure I can relate. I bought a Polaris pro r ultimate to be View attachment 412847a dedicated duner (keeping the talon also)and it's perfect in every way. The suspension simply next level😇
I would hope it's better for double the money. And congratulations on the "perfect" machine. First time in recorded history that's ever been pulled off. Typically all manufacturers issue directives, tsb's and recalls. You won the lottery.

Reactions: Dankathy
S

Scrappapotamus

The Scrappapotamus
Lifetime Member
Nov 2, 2022
Midway KY
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R

4. Talon R LV
I did check it after hearing about a few that were low or empty. Mine was at the bottom mark, so I topped it off

I did get a true '23 model with the full doors, not an S model. I even contacted Honda customer service and she agreed they are not on the powersports website for my machine. As for the ride, I too am curious how it is vs. my '19

View attachment 412797
I have a '19 R and a new '23 R Live Valve 2. I have a tune on the 2019 and just got the tune for the 23. The 23 is heads above the '19 in performance. Big time. Huge. '23 has HMF Full exhaust that '19 doesn't, but can't imagine the exhaust would make that big of a difference? Dealer tells me that mapping for the transmission is completely different. He was very impressed how it turned out

Last edited:
Reactions: Scoop and CID
D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have a '19 R and a new '23 R Live Valve 2. I have a tune on the 2019 and just got the tune for the 23. The 23 is heads above the '19 in performance. Big time. Huge. '23 has HMF Full exhaust that '19 doesn't, but can't imagine the exhaust would make that big of a difference? Dealer tells me that mapping for the transmission is completely different. He was very impressed how it turned out
Do you by chance have a ride/handling comparison? My '21 non live valve r is showing its age, may also investigate a r4

S

Scrappapotamus

The Scrappapotamus
Lifetime Member
Nov 2, 2022
Midway KY
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R

4. Talon R LV
Do you by chance have a ride/handling comparison? My '21 non live valve r is showing its age, may also investigate a r4
Not completely. was screwing around with both the day I was putting them away for the winter. It is nice to soften or firm it up with a push of a button

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!