H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Decided to check the clean side at 17,872 miles while doing a clean up, inspection, and oil change. I checked the filter at around 10,000 miles and it was still like new. I didn’t remove it this time but I will at 25,000 miles. I expect it will still be clean but it may be important to replace it due to age before I sell my Talon. Just being in a clean air location makes a big difference. The pre filter does help and the cleaner the intake air the longer the engine life. I’m using the automotive filter now. It comes pre oiled and is available at most auto parts stores for around $32.00. I’m getting 10,000 miles out of my pre filter mostly because I don’t follow in the dust. I’m replacing my Uni Filter now at 7,872 miles. I did clean it at 10,000 miles. It was a really dirty but I could still hit the rev limiter in 6th gear. I think its best to replace the pre filter between 5,000 to 8,000 miles and more often if you follow in the dust. I always had to clean my motorcycle air filter after every race. For the Mint 400 race in the late 60’s we used pre filters that were easy to change every other lap. That sold me on pre filters especially located in clean air.

I don’t enjoy abusing my toys. My rules are no deep water, jumping, bottoming the suspension, and changing the oil on time. I do drive hard at times. My buddy and I were racing up a huge wide sand wash and both were hitting the rev limiter in 6th gear. My rules are to keep the speed under 50 mph but there are times when its hard to avoid going Stupid Fast.

My 2016 Pioneer 1000 is close to 30,000 miles now and it still runs like new, I sold it at 19,000 miles. With the intake up under the hood in clean air I still added a pre filter. I had $40.00 in repair parts.

6 20200210 114701 resized 20200514 153211 resized 20200514 161711 resized 20161003 180130 20210309 123229 resized 20210309 123259 resized 20210309 123309 resized

B

Boundertom

Dec 12, 2020
AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
Good report, Bob. As you know, I copied your intake system and I am very happy with it. I still have less than 600 miles on my Talon, and I won't even bother checking the OEM filter for a while.

I am with you on not abusing my machines. Toys are too expensive these days to not take good care of them! I plan to keep my Talon for a long time! Had a great little ride today of about 50 miles. The desert is greening up!

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Bob's snorkel idea keeps evolving, the sign of progress. Thanks for the filter info, cleaning the Uni when 'really dirty' isn't my favorite project - although I have 3 of them now.

I get my second shot on the 20th, headed to Utah and Arizona within a few days after that (allowing for shot side effects :oops:). I bought the Talon for the desert, Covid screwed me out of '20 but it won't stop me now.
ricky.gif

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Most of the guys had no side effects, more like a flu shot. Two did have a slight fever and didn't feel very good for a day with the 2nd shot. I planed for a day off but I felt great and rode my E-bike 20 miles after I got my 2nd shot and the next day too. Its a good feeling to get the vaccine but I still play it safe so I don't get the virus and pass it on to someone. In a couple of months the young guys should get the vaccine.

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Decided to check the clean side at 17,872 miles while doing a clean up, inspection, and oil change. I checked the filter at around 10,000 miles and it was still like new. I didn’t remove it this time but I will at 25,000 miles. I expect it will still be clean but it may be important to replace it due to age before I sell my Talon. Just being in a clean air location makes a big difference. The pre filter does help and the cleaner the intake air the longer the engine life. I’m using the automotive filter now. It comes pre oiled and is available at most auto parts stores for around $32.00. I’m getting 10,000 miles out of my pre filter mostly because I don’t follow in the dust. I’m replacing my Uni Filter now at 7,872 miles. I did clean it at 10,000 miles. It was a really dirty but I could still hit the rev limiter in 6th gear. I think its best to replace the pre filter between 5,000 to 8,000 miles and more often if you follow in the dust. I always had to clean my motorcycle air filter after every race. For the Mint 400 race in the late 60’s we used pre filters that were easy to change every other lap. That sold me on pre filters especially located in clean air.

I don’t enjoy abusing my toys. My rules are no deep water, jumping, bottoming the suspension, and changing the oil on time. I do drive hard at times. My buddy and I were racing up a huge wide sand wash and both were hitting the rev limiter in 6th gear. My rules are to keep the speed under 50 mph but there are times when its hard to avoid going Stupid Fast.

My 2016 Pioneer 1000 is close to 30,000 miles now and it still runs like new, I sold it at 19,000 miles. With the intake up under the hood in clean air I still added a pre filter. I had $40.00 in repair parts.

View attachment 259731 View attachment 259732 View attachment 259733 View attachment 259734 View attachment 259735 View attachment 259736 View attachment 259737 View attachment 259738
Oh man those washes were FUN & FAST ! Yes you're correct (as always) it was a little stupid fast at times but I just could't catch you . LOL

• Wow
Reactions: CID
H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Huck, the washes were super wide and I could see you setting me up for a pass several times but after several miles of racing you did get a good run and pass me fair and square. You ate half of the wash crossing over from side to side to get a good run. I let up a bit after that to stay out of the dust and get the speed down to a more safe level. I gave up on wearing out my 30's and installed 28's so I could pull 6th gear. Its 5th gear only with 30's. I do get tempted to add a Turbo but this engine is fast enough stock and since its designed for a Turbo the engine life will be way better then average. Looks like rain so we need to do a no dust wet sand run later this week.

Reactions: TripleB and CID
HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Huck, the washes were super wide and I could see you setting me up for a pass several times but after several miles of racing you did get a good run and pass me fair and square. You ate half of the wash crossing over from side to side to get a good run. I let up a bit after that to stay out of the dust and get the speed down to a more safe level. I gave up on wearing out my 30's and installed 28's so I could pull 6th gear. Its 5th gear only with 30's. I do get tempted to add a Turbo but this engine is fast enough stock and since its designed for a Turbo the engine life will be way better then average. Looks like rain so we need to do a no dust wet sand run later this week.
Doesn't look good for me riding this week . Wife's having a bad time . As for eating dust , I did ! Changed my pre filter as soon as I got home .

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!