H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
We have some new Talon owners so its worth posting this info again.

We have to stop to shift. It only takes a split second to wiggle the shift lever forward and aft in the shift gate to make sure its fully in gear. It should be centered in the shift gate. If its loaded forward its not in gear and the display will have the --- instead of a R, H, or L. I think the gear dogs can line up occasionally. The Pioneer 1000 may do it every 4,000 miles but the Talon may do it every 400 miles. It may be that there is more Spring in the Talon shift cable. All the shift gears are the same. If its not fully in gear taking your foot off the brake may help or just shifting out then back into gear usually works. Shifting quick helps too. If I remember right the owners manual talks about this on page 33.

We have 10 Talons in our group. My buddy had the shift bang a couple of months ago. I told him how to avoid it. Yesterday he backed it out then shifted into low to load it on his trailer. When he applied throttle it went BANG as it slammed into gear. He thought he broke it. The sub trans is tough and can a lot of that but it is annoying and may eventually cause damage.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Good memory, Bob - it is on page 33.

Rambo

Rambo

Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2016
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Good memory, Bob - it is on page 33.
My Pioneer 1000 with 4000 miles has never done the "bang"
When I first got my Talon within the first 30 miles it did it a couple times, no grinding. I WAS IN GEAR according to the dash. I adjusted the cable and hasn't done it since....
From what I've read adjusting the cable doesn't always fix the problem, curious what's going on beyond the cable that's causing the BANG???

Reactions: CID
H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Number one fix to reduce the problem is make sure the shift cable is adjusted properly in the center of the narrow neutral gate. Number two is to wiggle the shifter to make sure its in the center of the shift gate. Since I have 8,500 miles on mine now its an automatic reaction when I shift. Shifting quickly helps too.The shift drum has a thick star washer on the end to hold the proper position for each gear. The motorcycle trans and belt drive sub trans are the same. The only reason the talon has the problem more then the Pioneer may be the shift cable may have more spring in it. When you shift back from Park the cable is pushing the sub trans shift arm. For Reverse and high you can over shift then go forward into gear. In low you can't do that but if it doesn't go into gear you can go back to high and try again. The gear dogs have to line up perfectly to cause this problem and that doesn't happen very often especially after a 10 minute warm up.

The Pioneer 10000 can also have the shift bang with the front locker. Its important to move it slightly and turn the front wheels a bit to get the locker engaged and the locker light on.

Reactions: Rambo
B

bearphoto

Jun 15, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
So I have the new Talon that bangs as the trans is shifting from gear to gear. Either up shifting or downshifting there is a bang. The gear selector on the dash shows it is in gear. It does not bang as I move it to drive or reverse and give it gas. It bangs as the trans is shifting from gear to gear, up or down. Is this the same problem you are addressing? Thanks very much!
Doug

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
So I have the new Talon that bangs as the trans is shifting from gear to gear. Either up shifting or downshifting there is a bang. The gear selector on the dash shows it is in gear. It does not bang as I move it to drive or reverse and give it gas. It bangs as the trans is shifting from gear to gear, up or down. Is this the same problem you are addressing? Thanks very much!
Doug
No, it's different. The shifting bang you're referring to is the shift solenoid. That bang is normal and by design. I'm new to SxSs and the DCT both, it took a while to get used to but now I hear it as an engineering marvel - when it shifts, I grin and think "How cool is that?" :cool:

Note that I wear a helmet and ear plugs so the bang is muffled, it's probably REALLY loud if your hearing is exposed. Ride and enjoy. fwiw: I recommend hearing protection of some sort, hearing loss is permanent and progressive. The problem is it doesn't hurt so, as guys we ignore it until it's too late. #oleguywithtinnitus

Reactions: IDIOT and TripleB
highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
My father-in-law's Talon had problems engaging low gear without grinding at only 220 miles. Local dealership said they adjusted cable during collar recall inspeciton and now would have to tear into transmission but shop backed up 2-3 weeks. He talked to the dealership we bought from 3 1/2 hours away in Covington, LA they said bring it in the same week. Come to find out the shifter adjustment was out almost 1/2"!!! So either the local dealership didn't adjust it or adjusted in incorrectly. Works fine now. So I adjusted mine after finding that it was out about 1/4". Some of that may be cable stretch during break in but not all of it.

So, when Low starts grinding, check your cable adjustment. It's an easy fix.

F

fartsalot

Jun 11, 2019
Near the Kansas Nascar race track
Ownership

1. Talon X
No, it's different. The shifting bang you're referring to is the shift solenoid. That bang is normal and by design. I'm new to SxSs and the DCT both, it took a while to get used to but now I hear it as an engineering marvel - when it shifts, I grin and think "How cool is that?" :cool:

Note that I wear a helmet and ear plugs so the bang is muffled, it's probably REALLY loud if your hearing is exposed. Ride and enjoy. fwiw: I recommend hearing protection of some sort, hearing loss is permanent and progressive. The problem is it doesn't hurt so, as guys we ignore it until it's too late. #oleguywithtinnitus

Your right about hearing loss,,, With my parents I raced go-karts since I was 11yr and did so for 22 years. We used 2 stroke engines with no exhaust at all just a open pipe. Years later they used tuned exhaust systems just like 2 stroke bikes now use. Every day my ears ring a high pitched tone 24/7 when I'm awake because of my head right next to a open exhaust with no hearing protection. I have lost about 50% of my hearing and a high pitched sound like a belt slipping is total silence to me.

• Sad
Reactions: TripleB and CID
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!