PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Has anyone heard if there are plans for future talons to have the touchscreen like the razors? That's all that's holding me back from pulling the trigger one one. I'd hate to buy one and then the next year they catch up with Polaris' tech.
I personally hate anything proprietary. I have mounted an Android Tablet with phone service in everything I drive and the Talon is no exception. One of the best mods I have done to all my vehicles. The stock proprietary crap never cuts it for me, always lacking and never does what I want. For instance. my Audi Navigation is a total piece of crap, is almost impossible to find anything and costs hundreds a year to update.

With a Tablet, I can run any app I want (including Polaris' Ride Command for when I am with my PoPo riding buddies). I can upgrade to the latest and greatest for a few hundred bucks without replacing the entire vehicle. I can mount it wherever I need and when the wife is with me, turn it towards her and let her navigate. A Tablet is by far a better solution for me.

Yes, but the newest not only communicates car to car with out cellular service, when you get home it connects to your wifi so you can upload or download tracks and update ride command. Makes it real easy to share tracks from rides. No more thumb drive.

They also have massively increased the number of trails shown. When my buddy first started using his in late 2019 it showed almost no trails. Now he has most of the major ones I have on OnX off-road, but not all.
The car to car feature is more of a gimmick and is only good for a mile at best in straight line of sight. If there are any obstructions, the distance is drastically cut. In desert riding is probably usable but In the mountains and dunes, it is almost useless.

The Android/Apple apps also track and upload like the OEM unit does. And you can share trails and routes. As far as I can tell, it works exactly like the OEM unit except no (somewhat limited) car to car feature.

Rayger143

Rayger143

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 5, 2020
Winfield, BC Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I personally hate anything proprietary. I have mounted an Android Tablet with phone service in everything I drive and the Talon is no exception. One of the best mods I have done to all my vehicles. The stock proprietary crap never cuts it for me, always lacking and never does what I want. For instance. my Audi Navigation is a total piece of crap, is almost impossible to find anything and costs hundreds a year to update.

With a Tablet, I can run any app I want (including Polaris' Ride Command for when I am with my PoPo riding buddies). I can upgrade to the latest and greatest for a few hundred bucks without replacing the entire vehicle. I can mount it wherever I need and when the wife is with me, turn it towards her and let her navigate. A Tablet is by far a better solution for me.

The car to car feature is more of a gimmick and is only good for a mile at best in straight line of sight. If there are any obstructions, the distance is drastically cut. In desert riding is probably usable but In the mountains and dunes, it is almost useless.

The Android/Apple apps also track and upload like the OEM unit does. And you can share trails and routes. As far as I can tell, it works exactly like the OEM unit except no (somewhat limited) car to car feature.
I totally agree. I mounted a 8" tablet that I'm into for about $235 including everything. Automatically loads my tracks across all my devices for sharing and saving. All my music is on it. Nice screen to work with. Love it!
J2W1mRwzQDAw3grpPPemQ

N

noisewater

Aug 3, 2017
west michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well you guys are a horrible influence on me. I went ahead and ordered one. Talon R Live Valve. I have Ride Command on my phone already for snowmachine trips and GAIA handles the rest. I'll just transfer that to one of my many tablets. Thanks for the info, advice and tips! This place is awesome. A wealth of knowledge.

HavasuDave

HavasuDave

Dec 7, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
Well you guys are a horrible influence on me. I went ahead and ordered one. Talon R Live Valve. I have Ride Command on my phone already for snowmachine trips and GAIA handles the rest. I'll just transfer that to one of my many tablets. Thanks for the info, advice and tips! This place is awesome. A wealth of knowledge.
You might also give OnX off-road a try. It shows more trails than Gaia, has highlighted trails with trail data and you can download detailed maps for areas you ride that may not have cellular service.they keep making improvements abd are very responsive in customer service and to implement suggestions from users. You can put it on your phone or tablet.

N

noisewater

Aug 3, 2017
west michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You might also give OnX off-road a try. It shows more trails than Gaia, has highlighted trails with trail data and you can download detailed maps for areas you ride that may not have cellular service.they keep making improvements abd are very responsive in customer service and to implement suggestions from users. You can put it on your phone or tablet.
So I've had OnX for plot maps for a couple years. I just went in there and played around with it. Damned if it doesn't have ORV trails and a tracking feature. I was unaware of this till now. Another useful tidbit from this site.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
What kind of tablet and case do you use? I want something like this for me and father-in-law. He usually leads our group but I navigate from the back. He stops at intersections and I gesture which way to go and we're off again. If I had 2 inexpensive tablets loaded with maps that would work great.
I totally agree. I mounted a 8" tablet that I'm into for about $235 including everything. Automatically loads my tracks across all my devices for sharing and saving. All my music is on it. Nice screen to work with. Love it!View attachment 279922

Josh97stang

Josh97stang

Sep 12, 2020
Sheridan, AR
Ownership

1. Talon X
Lenovo M7 tablet is $60, M8 is $100.
A case and ram mount costs more than the tablet!!

I purchased the same one that @TerryH has and am pleased with it.

Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8.0

It has built in GPS but not a compass.

Rayger143

Rayger143

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 5, 2020
Winfield, BC Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I purchased the same one that @TerryH has and am pleased with it.

Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8.0

It has built in GPS but not a compass.
I also use the Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8.0. Very happy with it. It has expandable memory with an sd card.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
"Horrible influence"???

If we were horrible, we would have let you buy the PoPo.

I guess that makes us all a "good influence" :)

C

Cousincraig

Apr 11, 2021
Pa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Touch screen in a side by side? I don’t see how that works maybe I ride mine to hard but it wouldn’t last the dust, mud, water, snow that gets in mine. Maybe if want a touch screen look into the jeep renegade and get off the “trails” you ride, sounds like a better fit

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Touch screen in a side by side? I don’t see how that works maybe I ride mine to hard but it wouldn’t last the dust, mud, water, snow that gets in mine. Maybe if want a touch screen look into the jeep renegade and get off the “trails” you ride, sounds like a better fit
They are a lot tougher than you think. Mine gets caked in dust every ride, sometime a little wet and still works after 2 years and for your type of riding, they even make water resistant and even waterproof cases for many models.

Rayger143

Rayger143

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 5, 2020
Winfield, BC Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You would be surprised what a good case does. I just keep a cloth with me. I haven’t used the pressure washer on it yet but I’m sure I will forget one day.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I used a Garmin Dakota for several years but the screen is microscopic. It's good for dust and water though. Now I want something that I can actually see and read. It will get filthy so I need a good case and I I'll need a RAM mount to hold it through all the roughness.

Automotive conveniences are coming to the SXS world! Just look at the interior finish of the newer machines.

N

noisewater

Aug 3, 2017
west michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Alright, tough guy.

• Haha
Reactions: Scoop and Rayger143
C

Cousincraig

Apr 11, 2021
Pa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I
They are a lot tougher than you think. Mine gets caked in dust every ride, sometime a little wet and still works after 2 years and for your type of riding, they even make water resistant and even waterproof cases for many models.

I mean the built in displays. I don’t see how those would hold up and a lot more expensive to fix or replace then a pad used with a dash mount.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I mean the built in displays. I don’t see how those would hold up and a lot more expensive to fix or replace then a pad used with a dash mount.
Agreed 100% and another reason I do not particularly like proprietary crap like that.

A couple in our group have the built in Ride Command. It will be interesting to see how they hold up. I suspect they will actually be OK because although PoPo quality is fair, I don't often see problems with their electronics. Their electronics must be made somewhere respectable :)

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!