Tankless Hot Water Heater w/ Well water and pressure tank???

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a tankless and love it. It takes some getting used to with the delay when adjusting the temperature in the shower, but when you get the temperature you want that's where it will stay. I also have a hot and cold, frost free water faucets out side. I'll get some pictures later
Hot water faucet on the outside would be nice - at least a couple times a year when you want to get something really clean

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Hot water faucet on the outside would be nice - at least a couple times a year when you want to get something really clean
If your water heater is in the garage you have a hot water spigot vie of the flush kit.

Reactions: Ragnar406 and sharp
L

LarryAmboy

May 14, 2017
Castalian Springs, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Need to look at how YOU use it, what your energy per kw or per gallon of LP costs and how much each option uses for the models your looking at. Might not be a large difference in energy cost but you might see a huge difference in install cost.

Most of the propane units are really efficient, I am installing a LP On demand in the shop since theres no reason to maintain the temp in a tank out there.

You may have to install (3)40amp 240v circuits for a large electric on demand, usually about $500-1000 per circuit with a licensed electrician. They can draw over 100amps easy, theres no genset at HomeDepot that can run one of those.

If you're stuck with Electric look at a HeatPump water heater they can run as low as 500watts and use about 3kw to heat 80 gallons in 3hours or they can run at full blast at @6000watts and use 6kw to heat the same 80gallons in one hour if you have more demand. More expensive but good ROI on energy costs if you aren't moving in next 5 years. We have an 80gallon HP and keep it in the 500w HeatPump mode instead of Hybrid, we will kick it to High Demand mode (6000w) via wifi enabled app when we have company staying. Never run out of hot water. Downside is its TALL compared to a standard Electric and requires air circulation so you can't trap it in a small closet.

That’s what we just installed.

Rheem's Hybrid Electric Water Heater Is the Most Efficient Water Heater Available - Rheem Water Heaters - Rheem Manufacturing Company

Reactions: sharp
100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My house is an on demand system. I love it and it conserves gas, which is more expensive than water at this point...plus I’m on a well and utilize a backwashing system and hard water softener. The delay is never that long and no need to wait for a conventional tank to refill with hot water.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Tankless propane is definitely the way to go. Endless hot water.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Remington and sharp
J

JTW

Now you’ve got me considering pulling the old 2002 water heater in the basement! I’ve been thinking about flushing it, maybe I’ll just replace it. These girls are hot water killers! 5000 gallons of water a month we average.

O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
.......... I also have a hot and cold, frost free water faucets out side. I'll get some pictures later
One of the best changes you can make to your home. Hot water outside is awesome. I did it about 35 years ago.

Reactions: JTW and sharp
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Tankless are 190,000 btu, a normal gas is 40,000. Most people I know that have tankless have actually used more gas. That little pilot light doesn't use crap, there are benefits to tankless such as space savings but you better have a very good water softener or the tankless will become a brick of lime in nothing flat.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
This is right up my ally. Some really good points from other Tradesmen like myself.
This is a service techs take on Tankless.

My opinion on brands, and I have serviced a lot of them if not all on the market for some years. I dislike Reni for these reasons. Most of them are not made in the US and there tech support and warranty process sucks ass. When servicing the controls inside the unit they are the definition of 20lbs of chit in a 5 lb bag and a complete whore to repair in time. They also do not use a multi variable Gas valve so in many cases you need to have a meter upgrade and larger gas line to accommodate the added amount of BTUs you will be using to prevent sooting your burner compartment.

Bosh- POS! That about the best way I can put it. There units are notorious for not making models after a short period of time and parts availability. A lot of your big box stores sells them and that’s a red flag for something complex. My shop will no longer service Bosh for that reason.

Navian- I might sound bias, but these are the units that have ben the best for serviceability , dealing with any warranty, US made, more user adjustments for well, built in circulating pump for instant hot water when you turn it on at any faucet. There GV is compatible with your existing 1/2 black gas pipe that was to your old WH. The Units are easily converts from NG to LP with flip of the plate in the GV. All other units are strictly NG or LP so If u have LP and NG comes down your street, your not converting and buying a new tankless in most cases. I see it all the time.

Another thing to consider is that Tankless need to be discalced annually and sometimes more often than once a year depending on your water quality. There is a small flow valve inside that detects water flow to give your variable speed GV the right amount of BTU’s ( reason for all the circuit boards in the units) for hot water. If this valve is not discalced as well as your tank regularly you WILL have catastrophic failure toy our Tankless.

Bottom line- they are nice. I have one, on LP, well (I use potassium instead of reg salt) much better for the Tankless jacket, and I descale regularly. It has saved us a lot in operating cost. But then again in a service tech and can get parts and repair it myself. Knowing repair cost and cost of replacement with major failures due to lack of peopled maintenance. That saving would be dwarfed in the long run as a average Joe consumer.

I hope I’ve answered some good questions you have. Any others I’d be happy to elaborate. Again just a service techs perspective. No offense to installers whatsoever but they usually don’t service them.

Bradley-Thornton

Bradley-Thornton

Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Hattiesburg MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm not sure about gas but I have a timer on my electric heater. We take baths at night 90% of the time so I have it set to run 4-10pm it does have a switch so I can cut it on at anytime. Now if one of us wants to take a bath during the day the water is still way hot enough to do that. Also just like in my camper I run Lower GPM shower heads so the water last way longer. Funny thing is the shower heads work better and are nicer than the high GPM. I am very frugal and hate waiting money on things I can't see there are many ways to save money in a house. To name a few digital thermostat set properly, good insulation in your attic this should be checked every few years it will settle, Child proof plugs in the electric sockets not being used (sockets let air in), LED lights, Low GPM showers, they make a clear tent you can put on windows to keep the heat from coming in the windows (This is for people in the south up north they use windows for heat) Blinds on windows up north to keep the heat out in the summer. Check the seals around your doors. Clean your vents on your inside and outside AC unit every year (its very simple) Make sure the lines come in are insulated, I have a pool and have timers on both the pumps also, Also I have 2 heaters one is regular with the timer it has all showers on it. Then a tankless for washer and my kitchen/dishwasher.

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I didnt do any math but i knew that i wanted endless hot water and not take up much space is all i really cared about. I dont know if this is a good brand or not but its been good. Im
20190524 103612
20190524 103635
sure i would save on gas if i turned the tempature down but i wanted it extra hot. (199,000 btu)

Last edited:
E

Ericthered

Eric The Red
Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
As to your well expansion tanks, put 2 if you can and be at least 25 gallon draw each between pump actuations. My electric bill dropped $45 per month with just my wife and I. I installed a Renai water heater in the spot where the old water heater sat. Ran 2" pvc inlet and outlet, per instructions. Water comes out really hot after 1 1/2 gallons flow, and just keeps on coming. We used that much even with a circulation pump. And, as for mounting it outside, depends on where you live. If it gets to freezing don't do it. The heater is NOT hot unless you are asking for hot water. The capillaries, the small tubes, will burst, and you'll be very unhappy that you have to go buy a whole new unit. My experience: Well system repairman and installer, plumber, electrician, and contractor.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I didnt do any math but i knew that i wanted endless hot water and not take up much space is all i really cared about. I dont know if this is a good brand or not but its been good. ImView attachment 130972 View attachment 130973 sure i would save on gas if i turned the tempature down but i wanted it extra hot. (199,000 btu)
That is a spin off of the Bosh, made by them for Lowe’s and Menards. If or When it gives u trouble don’t bother finding parts or try to fix it. Save yourself the grief and just buy a new one. ;)

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!