Tankless Hot Water Heater w/ Well water and pressure tank???

Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
So I wrapped the full threads. Not doing the starter threads may help make a better seal.

I'd say i did 6+ wraps. Had to pull a few off due to wrong direction but got them all correct.

I have pipe dope ready.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Six wraps seems like too much. It looks like you’re using the white stringy tape. That stuff is thin and not that great but you should be able to use it. I’d go 3 wraps maybe 4 but try to taper the layer of tape off the starter thread.
I think they’re trying to sell more tape than you need. Even blue monster says minimum of 3 wraps but it just gets pushed out of the joint. I’ll use a light two wraps and when you take it apart, you can see the tape on the threads still.

Reactions: sharp and Russ989
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Humm...
I could be overtighten them and blowing the seal I guess.

But I like them tight.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
When I’m doing boilers or water heaters, my old school journeyman I had 20years ago thought me witch seems the best way that I still do today on jobs. Everyone has there different ways keep in mind, but this has served me well in the trades. I use a standard Teflon tape and wrap the threads 3 times minimum how ever may times after is up you you but 3 is usually fine You’ll get a feel for it. Then I use The Green Stuff pipe dope one good swipe over that. Then just hand tighten down your pipe till it needs a pipe wrench or channel locks. Then a few turns till you feel your on the verge of possibly gona have to go Armstrong with it and stop. You’ll have a good deal that won’t green gobbler up in time and not damage your threads. It’s a lengthy explanation, once u do it it’s actually quick and easy. You can do this with plastic, copper or galvanized pipe. Hope this helps you.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!