P1000 Test drove a P1000-3 eps and really like it but........

tundraman

tundraman

Oct 26, 2015
Liked about everything about the new ranger except the front seat and net doors. Too upright and grab bar on the side is intrusive. Smooth, powerful with a good ride. It sits up higher than the Pioneer, bed is better built and maybe even quieter than Pioneer. Pioneer's ergonomics is better. It seems more solid than Pioneer with new frame and sway bar up front. I am sure it would smoke the Pioneer on the trails and has good built in skid protection. Really wanted to buy one but the front seat may be a deal breaker especially if the wife does not like it. I guess I will wait and see how people who own them review them. 700 still treating me right but both the 1000s are a big upgrade in every way.

txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Did you look at the Generals? My buddy has 4 seater and it's pretty comfortable. If I didn't like my Honda so much that's prob what I would be in.

Reactions: Arizona
RustyG

RustyG

Jul 6, 2016
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Now that Honda has a solution on the 18 Pioneers for clutch and heat I am ready to trade my 700, that has been a faithful workhorse on the farm for 4 years. 1000 performed night and day better than my 700. The dealer with give me 7k for it and charge me 14k for the 18 p1000 that is fair. The but is the new 18 Polaris Ranger 1000 seems to beat the Honda in about every category. I have to check it out before I buy the Honda.

Any comments or suggestions on the route to go? I will give you my impressions after test driving the Ranger.

I have a P1000-5 with over 3000 miles on it, no issues. I use it almost every day on the farm. Even use a tow strap and move 1200lb hay bales around. I handled the heat issue as many did on here (have friends with other brands with the same issue) and wouldn't have anything else. Have had Polaris 4 wheelers, and worked on them constantly, have a Honda 1996 350 4 wheeler and have done nothing but change oil, tires and batteries. I really like the transmission and the transfer case (hi-low, turf, 2 wheel, 4 wheel, and differential locks) on the P1000 which is why I bought it in the first place.

tundraman

tundraman

Oct 26, 2015
Did you look at the Generals? My buddy has 4 seater and it's pretty comfortable. If I didn't like my Honda so much that's prob what I would be in.
Looking for the best utility vehicle for heavy-duty farm use. Want something good for the trail too and want to be under 15k. Only need three seats. 700 has held up well but time for an upgrade. New Ranger was really designed for Farm use, I spray fences at slow speeds so not sure if P1000 is good for that.

J

JTW

Looking for the best utility vehicle for heavy-duty farm use. Want something good for the trail too and want to be under 15k. Only need three seats. 700 has held up well but time for an upgrade. New Ranger was really designed for Farm use, I spray fences at slow speeds so not sure if P1000 is good for that.
What about a Viking?

tundraman

tundraman

Oct 26, 2015
What about a Viking?
No, I would keep my 700 over a Viking. The dealer told me that they got quieter but they were extremely noisy. The Ranger and P1000-3 are the only bikes I am trying to decide between. If they didn't improve the Ranger so much this year over last I wouldn't even consider it. It obvious they tried to outdo the Pioneer in all areas and many of their commercials show them comparing the two. This is their market and with stiff competition, they are trying hard to stay one step ahead and really overall did a good job on the new Ranger. Glad to see the utility market is still being taken seriously with all the hot rods they are making now. Who really needs a 168 hp RZR?

Plongson

Plongson

May 18, 2017
Southern Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Who really needs a 168 hp RZR?
Ha...We were out in the Nevada desert a while back hunting coyotes and camping and one of the guys brought his brand new 160 something hp Can-Am. Everyone was impressed with all the wazoo suspension and power, but one ride out and everyone liked my 'lil 'ol Pioneer the best...LOL Totally different animal, just a "go fast" sand machine...It would sure look goofy with me, grandma the dogs and the grand-kids putt'n along...it just isn't my kind of machine.

Plongson

Plongson

May 18, 2017
Southern Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I absolutely agree 100%. Trying to everything with one machine just 'aint 'gonna happen. Something is 'gonna have to give...the P1K is a great all around machine...it would be nice it it went faster and it would be nice if it went slower...but what 'ya gonna do, it is what it is.

I use it WELL within it's design parameters and I'm as happy as a pig in $hit. If you're tearing it up, ya probably should be looking at another ride and NOT bashing the Pioneer as so many posts you read here.

RustyG

RustyG

Jul 6, 2016
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looking for the best utility vehicle for heavy-duty farm use. Want something good for the trail too and want to be under 15k. Only need three seats. 700 has held up well but time for an upgrade. New Ranger was really designed for Farm use, I spray fences at slow speeds so not sure if P1000 is good for that.[/QUOTE

The 1000 has a low range which is great for spraying fences and spooling out barbed wire too, lol.

advertisement
J

JTW

No, I would keep my 700 over a Viking. The dealer told me that they got quieter but they were extremely noisy. The Ranger and P1000-3 are the only bikes I am trying to decide between. If they didn't improve the Ranger so much this year over last I wouldn't even consider it. It obvious they tried to outdo the Pioneer in all areas and many of their commercials show them comparing the two. This is their market and with stiff competition, they are trying hard to stay one step ahead and really overall did a good job on the new Ranger. Glad to see the utility market is still being taken seriously with all the hot rods they are making now. Who really needs a 168 hp RZR?
I dunno... the ranger maybe great but Polaris isn’t known for long term quality. You’re not one to turn around a machine every year so I dunno. Maybe a little Yota mini truck! Lol

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Park a ranger and can am defender side by side. It's obvious who Polaris was copying. If they made it any more like a defender they'd be in a lawsuit. The front end, the seats, storage, bed, everything darn near the same. 169e192f87ef1ef92a62f589216ace2828093a9b168d207cb8935f9c9e5e0c69

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: joeymt33 and JTW
tundraman

tundraman

Oct 26, 2015
I dunno... the ranger maybe great but Polaris isn’t known for long term quality. You’re not one to turn around a machine every year so I dunno. Maybe a little Yota mini truck! Lol
Just looking for the best and most useable bike for the money. I think Polaris has stepped up their game while Honda has become a little lax. I almost would buy the Ranger for the tailgate alone. Whether I buy one or not it is impressive all the upgrades they did from last year and it will outperform the P1000 in about every category. Hopefully, reliability has been improved too.

1BadDart

1BadDart

Oct 21, 2016
W. KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Just looking for the best and most useable bike for the money. I think Polaris has stepped up their game while Honda has become a little lax. I almost would buy the Ranger for the tailgate alone. Whether I buy one or not it is impressive all the upgrades they did from last year and it will outperform the P1000 in about every category. Hopefully, reliability has been improved too.

Sounds like you've made up your mind. Buy the Polaris, I don't think you'll be satisfied with the Honda.

D

dilligaff82

Jan 24, 2017
New Hampshire
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ride them both and go with what you like. Sure, Polaris has had more issues, but they also sell a lot more machines. My Pioneer 1000-5 has spent about a month at the dealership for repairs since I bought it brand new last year. I have a ‘13 Sportsman 800 that has been flawless for 1500 miles now. Hasn’t been back to the dealership ever. It’s my workhorse. It plows in the winter and tows stuff around the property year round. It’s also my go to trail rig because the Pioneer is too wide to be legal on most of the state trails near me. The Pioneer is just around because I wanted a family rig that wasn’t the size of a crew cab pickup like the 4+ passenger machines from other manufacturers. Now that the wolverine 4 is out there’s finally another machine that’s in the same category.

Reactions: 0860silverado
A

Average_Joe

Aug 19, 2016
Gainesville, Fl
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
My wife's uncle has the new 1000 Ranger the ride is plush, the power is there and it will scoot but he has already cooked a belt and broke an axle. But he is not easy on it he has the highlifter edition it came from the dealer with a roof, the mtx radio that mounts cage to cage in the roof and nice rims. My 1000-5 with 30in silverbacks and highlifter lift sits slightly lower than his Ranger. I was sold on the ride my back is sore in the Honda after a weekend on the trails. And he gets way better mpg than I did before the silverbacks I used to burn a tank riding with him for 6 hours he burned I think a half maybe a little more. Now with the silverbacks the Honda drinks fuel like it's free.

C

Calhoun

Apr 14, 2016
Michigan
My wife's uncle has the new 1000 Ranger the ride is plush, the power is there and it will scoot but he has already cooked a belt and broke an axle. But he is not easy on it he has the highlifter edition it came from the dealer with a roof, the mtx radio that mounts cage to cage in the roof and nice rims. My 1000-5 with 30in silverbacks and highlifter lift sits slightly lower than his Ranger. I was sold on the ride my back is sore in the Honda after a weekend on the trails. And he gets way better mpg than I did before the silverbacks I used to burn a tank riding with him for 6 hours he burned I think a half maybe a little more. Now with the silverbacks the Honda drinks fuel like it's free.
As far as I know you can not get a high lifter in the newly redesigned ranger. Are sure it’s not a 17, the 18’s are the redesigned ones.

jawquin

jawquin

Oct 24, 2015
Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon R
tundraman, I would rather have a "refined" 18 Honda 1000 than the other one. You are correct about night and day difference from the Honda 700 and it is a very reliable machine as time has proven. Good luck on whatever you choose.

A

Average_Joe

Aug 19, 2016
Gainesville, Fl
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
I will have to ask what year it is he picked it up a month ago. I think you're right it probably is a 17 I will look up the changes from the 17 to the 18.

E

Ericthered

Eric The Red
Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I don't know where you guys buy your 2017 P1000-3EPS. Mine was $12,999 plus warranty and taxes. About $14,600 out the door. I am in Reno, NV but bought mine in Las Vegas. Was $4,500 cheaper, and worth the 8 hour drive.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!