Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Just don't do it in the summer. I did a Northern chunk in an air conditioned Blazer many moons ago.

Monte,
Is the noon departure from the parking lot?
We haven’t gotten that precise yet lr. Do you intend on being in Montrose the night before? I suppose we’ll need to get precise for those who don’t plan on being in Montrose the night before…..🤔

Reactions: Pilgrim
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Monte,
Is the noon departure from the parking lot?
Btw, I posted pictures of the “parking lot” a few months back…..
I’ll post it just again now so folks don’t have elevated expectations……😉

F88C73F8 88D0 4BBE B43C C24AE01AEC34

This parking area is adjacent to the end of asphalt and beginning of dirt, the “official start” of Rimrocker.

447216B9 92A7 4708 9F26 17EE472841C7

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
However, having said that, a couple weeks ago the National Off-Highway Vehicle Conservation Council (NOHVCC) awarded a $20,000 grant (I know, not much…….but) to improve the parking/staging area…..

Whether they have actually received these funds, or will have a paved parking area with a map kiosk, vault toilet and a Starbucks by the time we arrive is undetermined…………….😊

Last edited:
L

lowrider

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2020
Idaho Panhandle
Ownership

1. 700-2
We haven’t gotten that precise yet lr. Do you intend on being in Montrose the night before? I suppose we’ll need to get precise for those who don’t plan on being in Montrose the night before…..🤔
Yes Sir...we have a res at the same place you folks are staying. We're going straight there from ID and scrubbed the trip to SD and WY for a later date...maybe Oct. We can follow you folks to the parking area and I think we have a room for the night of our return as well. No need for Starbucks.

Do you have a camp site located if it's available or are we taking what we can get as we go?

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Yes Sir...we have a res at the same place you folks are staying. We're going straight there from ID and scrubbed the trip to SD and WY for a later date...maybe Oct. We can follow you folks to the parking area and I think we have a room for the night of our return as well. No need for Starbucks.

Do you have a camp site located if it's available or are we taking what we can get as we go?
Ok nice. Camping we play by ear. I know @WhiteLightning has expressed an interest in camping one night at the hanging flumes. Pretty much everyone has input on where we camp….

It’s an adventure isn’t it….😍

Last edited:
GrnP500

GrnP500

Lifetime Member
Apr 21, 2019
COTXARLA
Ownership

1. 500
Ok nice. Camping we play by ear. I know @WhiteLightning has expressed an interest in camping one night at the hanging flumes. Pretty much everyone has input on where we camp….

It’s an adventure isn’t it….😍
Check out Columbine campground for first night. Dont know if it is far enough.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Check out Columbine campground for first night. Dont know if it is far enough.
Yep, we’ve discussed that, but it’s true that it might not be far enough along…🤔

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Yeah, trees are very good…..

WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning

My check koozie light, keeps coming on
Lifetime Member
Feb 19, 2017
Magnolia Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Got my turnpro installed jacked it up changing brakes found a little slack in wheel bearings so I ordered them. Patiently waiting on them.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
I also asked for recommended things to do the Sunday we arrive and he recommended Black Canyon National Park just 30 minutes from Montrose,
I don’t know which way you would enter Black Canyon NP from Montrose, but be advised that the east portal road entrance is closed for the 2021 season….

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Camping Beside A lake or river would be great.. in amongst some trees.
I suppose it’s time to get tight on the rendezvous time at the staging area Sunday August 29th. 12:00 noon would be nice, and easy enough for those of us staying the night before in Montrose.

Let’s have others weigh in on this please….😊

Sunset will be 7:40, IMO, we need to stop to set up camp not less than an hour before sunset. According to map details, it’s approximately 47 miles from the staging area to Main Street Nucla, and according to the details provided, there are at least two side loop trails off the main trail between the staging area and Nucla that are worth exploring. Also according to trail details we can’t camp at or adjacent to Nucla, as the trail leaves NF about 4-5 miles before we hit Nucla and we don’t go back into NF until about 20 miles farther west of Nucla.

On the Colorado side, we have the Iron Springs campground, the Columbine campground, the Ballpark campground, and the Buckeye campground near the Utah state line in the order in which we’ll encounter them.

For the first nights camp, I’d say Iron Springs is out of the question as it’s just 14 miles from the staging area. However, if we take the advise found in the map/trail details posted at the Rimrocker site and do the Roubideau Jeep loop trail they highly recommend, we would add 13 miles to the afternoons commute and staying at Columbine Pass Campground would be more possible. That’s if we fancy a designated (albeit primitive with vault toilet) campground, otherwise we could travel up the Traver/Moore loop trail, that is also a recommended side trail coming right out of the Columbine campground (or very near it) a short distance and camp along Potter creek. Of course being so near a mountain pass, I can’t guarantee how much water the creek would have.

The other option for the first nights camp would be to remain on the Rimrocker proper towards Nucla and camp anywhere we’d like before the trail leaves the NF at mile 47.1……leaving us just 5-6 miles outside Nucla the following morning for a quick and easy jaunt to town on the OHV approved asphalt road where we can replenish ice, fuel and any groceries needed before hitting the trail for a full days ride…🤔

Again, this is all so difficult to pinpoint in advance with so many variables at play. There’s still going to be a lot of “play by ear”. But everyone is welcome to their input and in fact it’s encouraged…..😎

There’s lots of options for day two and camping for night two, but let’s tackle that later on and keep this conversation to day one and night one….for now….👍

Last edited:
Reactions: WhiteLightning
WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning

Lifetime Member
Feb 19, 2017
Magnolia Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I suppose it’s time to get tight on the rendezvous time at the staging area Sunday August 29th. 12:00 noon would be nice, and easy enough for those of us staying the night before in Montrose.

Let’s have others weigh in on this please….😊

Sunset will be 7:40, IMO, we need to stop to set up camp not less than an hour before sunset. According to map details, it’s approximately 47 miles from the staging area to Main Street Nucla, and according to the details provided, there are at least two side loop trails off the main trail between the staging area and Nucla that are worth exploring. Also according to trail details we can’t camp at or adjacent to Nucla, as the trail leaves NF about 4-5 miles before we hit Nucla and we don’t go back into NF until about 20 miles farther west of Nucla.

On the Colorado side, we have the Iron Springs campground, the Columbine campground, the Ballpark campground, and the Buckeye campground near the Utah state line in the order in which we’ll encounter them.

For the first nights camp, I’d say Iron Springs is out of the question as it’s just 14 miles from the staging area. However, if we take the advise found in the map/trail details posted at the Rimrocker site and do the Roubideau Jeep loop trail they highly recommend, we would add 13 miles to the afternoons commute and staying at Columbine Pass Campground would be more possible. That’s if we fancy a designated (albeit primitive with vault toilet) campground, otherwise we could travel up the Traver/Moore loop trail, that is also a recommended side trail coming right out of the Columbine campground (or very near it) a short distance and camp along Potter creek. Of course being so near a mountain pass, I can’t guarantee how much water the creek would have.

The other option for the first nights camp would be to remain on the Rimrocker proper towards Nucla and camp anywhere we’d like before the trail leaves the NF at mile 47.1……leaving us just 5-6 miles outside Nucla the following morning for a quick and easy jaunt to town on the OHV approved asphalt road where we can replenish ice, fuel and any groceries needed before hitting the trail for a full days ride…🤔

Again, this is all so difficult to pinpoint in advance with so many variables at play. There’s still going to be a lot of “play by ear”. But everyone is welcome to their input and in fact it’s encouraged…..😎

There’s lots of options for day two and camping for night two, but let’s tackle that later on and keep this conversation to day one and night one….for now….👍

WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning

Lifetime Member
Feb 19, 2017
Magnolia Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I would say, if it looks like we have plenty of time when we reach Columbine. Go on to the Ballpark . That would give us 2 options. We could stop at the Columbine camp ground and discuss it at that point..

ByronM

ByronM

Lifetime Member
Aug 9, 2016
St Charles, Il
Ownership

1. 700-4
I think that with my limited experience with this group the proposed departure time around noon is probably optimistic so the Roubideau keep trial and Columbine campground more realistic but I will go with the flow.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
I would say, if it looks like we have plenty of time when we reach Columbine. Go on to the Ballpark . That would give us 2 options. We could stop at the Columbine camp ground and discuss it at that point..
The Ballpark is almost certainly out of the question for the first night, we’d have to be flying to make that happen, ditch the side trails, everyone would be rushed getting through Nucla, we’d be well towards the end of section 2 (there’s only 4 sections to the entire route) and still two full days of riding left.

We must consider a 12:00 noon rendezvous, time to get everything unloaded and secured, what we’re leaving at the parking area secured, and then for a best case scenario, nobody’s running late for any reason, we all manage to move out at 1:00 (which I consider very optimistic for the number of people/rides) we’ll have 5-5-1/2 hours of ride time before we stop to make camp.

It seems more realistic that we would camp at Columbine, or on the Roubideau Jeep trail or between Columbine and the point where we exit the NF onto the road into Nucla….?????

This would be a lot easier if we were together with the map laid out and all looking at it together……which we can do, but not until Saturday night August 28th or Sunday morning before moving to the rendezvous….😎👍

Last edited:
Reactions: WhiteLightning
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
I think that with my limited experience with this group the proposed departure time around noon is probably optimistic so the Roubideau keep trial and Columbine campground more realistic but I will go with the flow.
Lmao, Byrons been on a few group rides haven’t you buddy….😂 I agree. It seems the Columbine area will be the most likely ideal spot for the first night, but it would still be nice to hear from others….👍

WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning

Lifetime Member
Feb 19, 2017
Magnolia Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I was just going off memory. For some reason I had it in my head the ball park was just a short drive out of Nucla.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!