P1000 The First 100 Miles with the P1000-5D

RobertinNevada

RobertinNevada

Apr 16, 2017
Fallon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
One of the most helpful things I found when I was trying to decide on what model to choose was new owners reactions on their new rig. Here is my take on my 2017 P1000-5D after 100 miles.

First the things I learned on my own that I wish the dealer would have told me.
- You have to have your seat belt buckled or it will only go 7 mph. Thought my bike was screwed up right off the bat. Thank god for the blinking seat belt light.
- Your bike will not go into turf mode when in park, if you read the manual it's clearly stated. Who reads directions lol

To be honest, before I got our Honda I always wondered what is all the hubbub about going out with one of these. I knew it had to be fun but man you only get it, once you have one. I've had more fun with my wife and family in the last two weekends than the last couple of years combine. One of the reason I jumped off my wallet was because I wanted to have the ability to get out and away from our daily lives, electronics and get out in the wild. I'm blessed to live in Nevada where there is 85% public land. No excause not to go explore.

The P1000-5D is a very capible machine, from sand dunes to rocky steep terrain it climbs like a billy goat all while feeling safe and comfortable. It looks like it's going be very reasonable on gas as well with me averaging about 20 mpg.

I found that driving at low speeds in steep terrain the transmission is best left in manual and shift with the paddle shifters, you have much better control of rpm. Throttle control takes a little getting used to but love the instant response you get. I may look at a throttle Max in the future.

Doors don't rattle and they came adjusted tight from the dealership, easy to adjust if needed. The dump bed rattled a bit so used a suggestion off of this forum and wrapped a small amount of tape around the latch. No more rattles and it closes tight.

Yesterday I Performed the first service, bought 8 quarts(bought a little extra) of Honda oil plus the 2 filters and it was 65 bucks at the Honda dealer. Took me about an 1.5 hours and thought it was easy and straight forward. That was thanks to the oil change video on this forum. Only tricky part is once you have the 6 quarts in add the remainder slowly, there is very little room between the bottom and top level on the dip stick. Take your time and let the oil settle before adding more.

I couldn't be happier with our bike, it's performed flawlessly and to know that I have the dump bed in the back to work around the place or flip the seats up and take the 3 grandkids for and adventure is the best of both worlds. Now I need to start scrapping up some cash for all the extras. If your on the fence, DO IT you wont be sorry.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!