sandbaja

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 2, 2021
San Diego, CA
Ownership

1. Talon R LV

2. Talon X4 LV
I went out to start the Talon which has been sitting for 2 weeks and found this. Mourning spotted dove nesting her egg.
20210625 094212

sandbaja

sandbaja

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 2, 2021
San Diego, CA
Ownership

1. Talon R LV

2. Talon X4 LV
I can't tell if an egg has been laid or not. Two years ago they nested in a tree in my courtyard. We watched the egg hatch and shortly thereafter a red tail hawk swooped down and ate the little one. Violent and fast.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I can't tell if an egg has been laid or not. Two years ago they nested in a tree in my courtyard. We watched the egg hatch and shortly thereafter a red tail hawk swooped down and ate the little one. Violent and fast.
FYI, the Mourning Dove is a protected bird and it is illegal to move the nest if it is active. If there are eggs in there, you might have to wait until the nest is empty before you can move it.

If there is an egg, you should call the US Fish and Game and see if they can move it because it is in "danger" in you back seat.

sandbaja

sandbaja

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 2, 2021
San Diego, CA
Ownership

1. Talon R LV

2. Talon X4 LV
FYI, the Mourning Dove is a protected bird and it is illegal to move the nest if it is active. If there are eggs in there, you might have to wait until the nest is empty before you can move it.

If there is an egg, you should call the US Fish and Game and see if they can move it because it is in "danger" in you back seat.
AFAIK it's illegal to move any nesting bird. Even if my understanding is incorrect I have no intention to disturb unless the birds leave the nest and there are no eggs or hatchling. This time of year it's too hot in the desert and the mountains are exceptionally dry and a high fire risk. I don't need to drive anywhere right now.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
AFAIK it's illegal to move any nesting bird. Even if my understanding is incorrect I have no intention to disturb unless the birds leave the nest and there are no eggs or hatchling. This time of year it's too hot in the desert and the mountains are exceptionally dry and a high fire risk.
You are correct. Actual law states you cannot disturb an "Active Nest". An active nest is described as any nest that contains eggs, chicks or fledglings that return to the nest. So if she is still building, you can move it up to the point she lays her egg(s).

sandbaja

sandbaja

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 2, 2021
San Diego, CA
Ownership

1. Talon R LV

2. Talon X4 LV
P

pjones1969

Apr 26, 2021
Allen, Texas
Ownership

1. Talon X
We have a pair that nest on our patio regularly, we really enjoy watching them, “shift change“ is about 5:30 every evening. One of the babies fell out of the nest last week, I’m out there with my gloves putting it back, wife spotted me through the window and just laughed, cute little things.

sandbaja

sandbaja

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 2, 2021
San Diego, CA
Ownership

1. Talon R LV

2. Talon X4 LV
I placed one of my house cameras in the Talon and caught the Dove's shift change. It's been 8 days since I noticed them so am hoping that the bird hatches this week. Once the bird hatches and moves on I'll make a change, so it never becomes a nesting area again. No, there will not be any scrambled dove eggs or Dove's prepared with a balsamic reduction. 🐥🐣🐤

Attachments

• Dove shift change.mp4
    964.3 KB
sandbaja

sandbaja

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 2, 2021
San Diego, CA
Ownership

1. Talon R LV

2. Talon X4 LV
It looks like 2 eggs and the first chick has hatched. Just after mom gets off the nest you will see the squab. Then dad cleans up the broken egg shell. In the 2nd vid you will see mom moving the 2nd egg closer. Pretty darn close to 2 weeks from laying to hatching.

Attachments

• Dove Birth.mp4
    2.6 MB
  • 1 down 1 to go.mp4
    2.7 MB
Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
I’m just thinking you should have just went riding 6 times in the waiting period.

🤷🏻‍♂️

sandbaja

sandbaja

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 2, 2021
San Diego, CA
Ownership

1. Talon R LV

2. Talon X4 LV
I’m just thinking you should have just went riding 6 times in the waiting period.

🤷🏻‍♂️
It's been tough. Want vs. need and desire to do the right thing. If it wasn't for the high heat in mountains and deserts I would have taken a different approach. As it is everything worked out.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!