Talon Things to check

D

Diegokid

Sep 29, 2019
nowheresville
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Will be doing the 100 mile service on the Talon this weekend. Besides things listed in the owners manual can anyone else list things they have found during inspections not listed in the manual? I have already found some nit picky stuff.

Will also be installing the harnesses this service.

D

Diegokid

Sep 29, 2019
nowheresville
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
1. Steering wheel at 11:00 driving straight.
2. Driver side door panel aft end rubbing when opening door.
3. Rattles in both doors when riding, this isn't the rubber door stop. fixed the top rattle already, it was really bad.
4. When shifting into low range takes what seems like too much force.

Just things that annoy me.

H

HondaTech

Sorry your having those issues, in particular the steering wheel as that should've been corrected by the dealer.

As far as the door rubbing, if you take off the black plastic piece (3 mud clips) in front of the rear vent you'll see 2 bolts. Those two bolts can be loosened to move the door and get clearance between the fender and door panel. This may also fixed your door rattle as well.

The shifting thing seems to be a common issue, most likely needs the cable adjusted, which is listed as needing inspection during the first service.

D

Diegokid

Sep 29, 2019
nowheresville
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Thank you for the door information. I tend to overthink things, has to do with previous job. Doing this will keep the wife and I busy for awhile. Before digging in to far does the front differential have any clutches or is the I-4WD controlled by brake application on an open differential?

H

HondaTech

There is a clutch connecting the driveshaft to the pinion, but there isn't a clutch pack in the diff.

Reactions: BWAF
BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There is a clutch connecting the driveshaft to the pinion, but there isn't a clutch pack in the diff.
So could that be bypassed electronically to make push button 4x4

Reactions: PaulF
BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
PS trying to see if there is a way to do push button difflock

H

HondaTech

PS trying to see if there is a way to do push button difflock

Not without changing the front diff and deleting the i4wd. When your in 2wd, the driver shaft coming out of the front of the sub trans is turning but isn't turning the front wheels, due to that clutch. When you press the i4wd switch it allows power to transfer the front diff from that shaft.

Your still not getting the front diff locked due to the stuff inside the front diff.

D

Diegokid

Sep 29, 2019
nowheresville
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Strike number two. Before changing the front diff lube I noticed it's been leaking on the drivers side. Cleaned it up, changed it to monitor the leak since we are planning a ride this weekend I reckon I'll take it back to the dealer next week to get this fixed, slightly over 100 miles.

This is ridiculous.

Reactions: TripleB
H

HondaTech

Strike number two. Before changing the front diff lube I noticed it's been leaking on the drivers side. Cleaned it up, changed it to monitor the leak since we are planning a ride this weekend I reckon I'll take it back to the dealer next week to get this fixed, slightly over 100 miles.

This is ridiculous.

We've seen couple of diff seals leaking as well, seems to be their getting nicked when the axles get installed or maybe its run off from when the seal is installed. Honda has not asked any questions about replacing them.

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not without changing the front diff and deleting the i4wd. When your in 2wd, the driver shaft coming out of the front of the sub trans is turning but isn't turning the front wheels, due to that clutch. When you press the i4wd switch it allows power to transfer the front diff from that shaft.

Your still not getting the front diff locked due to the stuff inside the front diff.
That's what I was afraid of

D

Diegokid

Sep 29, 2019
nowheresville
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
After cleaning, changing fluid and going for a ride I can say it’s definitely a leak. Going to monitor it and see if anything else comes up before taking it back.

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
1. Steering wheel at 11:00 driving straight.
2. Driver side door panel aft end rubbing when opening door.
3. Rattles in both doors when riding, this isn't the rubber door stop. fixed the top rattle already, it was really bad.
4. When shifting into low range takes what seems like too much force.

Just things that annoy me.

Concerning Item 3: What did you find/do to mitigate rattles in your doors?

Steve

D

Diegokid

Sep 29, 2019
nowheresville
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
One of them was the driver door being slightly out of adjustment. Rest of the noises were some of the metal clips bolted to the door for the nets. I used O rings to quieten them down. Other thing was the adjustable straps on back of the nets will work loose and rattle. I just used some black nylon thread with my sail needles to stitch the loose end after tightening them up so it won't happen again. To remove you just use a stitch remover.

Worst rattle was the aft side of the roof both sides. There was just enough slack there to rattle at about 2500 to 4000 RPM. I just used a strip of rubber between it and the roll bar.

Minor stuff, just annoying.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Always check the sub trans oil after changing the engine oil. There could be a newbie at the shop and it has happened on the Pioneer 1000 where they drained the sub trans by mistake.

Reactions: Ragnar406
D

Diegokid

Sep 29, 2019
nowheresville
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Done that! After finding the front differential leak with just over 100 miles on it I checked everything.

D

Diegokid

Sep 29, 2019
nowheresville
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
We dropped the Talon off at the dealer on 14 Dec so we could have it repaired before our two week Christmas vacation with the grandkids. Still in the shop, called today they are saying the seal is now on backorder until 4 Jan 2020. My talon will have spent more time in the shop than at my house.

D

Diegokid

Sep 29, 2019
nowheresville
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
We picked up the talon yesterday, they said a tie rod end had to be replaced too, damaged threads when removing it, two days shy of 4 weeks. Funny that I have 1.5 months of warranty gone wit it being in a shop. Skid plate had a lot of oil in it so I’m assuming it’s from disassembly.
Weather permitting I will take it out this weekend to see if leak is fixed.

perry

perry

Jun 13, 2016
South Dakota
Ownership

1. Talon R
We've seen couple of diff seals leaking as well, seems to be their getting nicked when the axles get installed or maybe its run off from when the seal is installed. Honda has not asked any questions about replacing them.
Mine leak from day one front dif. seal. I have a friend that has had it to the shop 3 time and they change the seal and still leaks!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!