Thinking 28s...

I

inukiller5

Jan 17, 2015
So I ordered the cfm 2" lift for my p5.. want peoples opinions. Think I can clear 28x9x14s and 28x11x14s?

No one else makes any lifts or anything. I figured it was worth a shot...it was only $25 for the lift spacers lol

I

inukiller5

Jan 17, 2015
Might just have to do it. Saw the video of the one with 29.5 outlaws... lol. Hopes too high lol

Sxsnewbie

Sxsnewbie

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2015
Eastern Connecticut
You will be extremely pleased with the P5 performance on Any none Stock tire.
I've been using 26" big horn 2.0 for a couple weeks in the deep snow and man what a difference!
You seem like you might be going into the heavy mud?! So 28 or 29" might be in your wheel house, no pun.

I

inukiller5

Jan 17, 2015
Yeah I do a lot of heavy mud. I trail ride a lot as well.

p500fan

p500fan

Lifetime Member
Mar 30, 2015
Sand Point, AK
Hello. I'm new to the site, & I have a few questions. If I install the cfm 2" lift, & 1.5" wheel spacers, will I have to modify the frame to run 28x10x14s? Also, how much low-end power will be lost running 28s? The trails I plan to run are fairly steep, but at a relatively low elevation. (3,000 ft)

Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Don't know for sure on 28"'s but I have 26" tires and run STEEP climbs and it really made no difference from a real world stand point.

p500fan

p500fan

Lifetime Member
Mar 30, 2015
Sand Point, AK
Thanks! I am concerned about low-end power much more than width, & everybody around here runs 27" or bigger mud tires due to slick hills & swamps near the coast. I'm trying to outfit a "do-everything" UTV that can also be used as secondary transportation. The joys of living on the last frontier. Ha!

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
With a lift and frame mod, I have seen one on Interco 30" ag tires.

advertisement
S

slacker

Feb 21, 2015
I ran 27's on 14" wheels with no mods, then just went to 28's itp mega mayhem's 11 in rear 9 in front did have to do the slight trim of the frame mod.. no big deal and about 5 minuites tops.. no real feel of lost power , I think the manual tranny really helps with this. where I hunt can be a deeply rutted quagmire during the wet months. I am VERY happy with this Honda

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    131.7 KB · Views: 3,575
S

Skeeter

Oct 13, 2015
south louisiana
I ran 27's on 14" wheels with no mods, then just went to 28's itp mega mayhem's 11 in rear 9 in front did have to do the slight trim of the frame mod.. no big deal and about 5 minuites tops.. no real feel of lost power , I think the manual tranny really helps with this. where I hunt can be a deeply rutted quagmire during the wet months. I am VERY happy with this Honda

Really like the look of your P5. I'm running 26s made two rides and have ordered 28x10x14 Outback Max. Will have to perform frame mod. Not looking forward to this task. You mentioned your mod only taking 5 min. How did you trim the frame, I seen pic showing they trim off part of the frame then welding a cap to close hole it leaves.

S

slacker

Feb 21, 2015
Really like the look of your P5. I'm running 26s made two rides and have ordered 28x10x14 Outback Max. Will have to perform frame mod. Not looking forward to this task. You mentioned your mod only taking 5 min. How did you trim the frame, I seen pic showing they trim off part of the frame then welding a cap to close hole it leaves.
I chalked a line angled back to where you only cut one side and the top and bottom of the frame really not that much removal is necessary, keep the angle pretty steep to just knock off the corner of the frame rail. . then put the sawzall or angle grinder, I used a sawzall on it.. no big deal at all/ the back of the frame rails are open from the factory ( mine are capped now) so not sure how big a deal capping them is. I don't think the frame is compromised at all with this cut, but I will cap it when I get a little time. you can take a little off then try it and if its not enough take a little more by changing the angle of the cut. but like you I wasn't looking forward to it, but looking at it, it was really nothing.... I think you will really like the 28's

S

Skeeter

Oct 13, 2015
south louisiana
I chalked a line angled back to where you only cut one side and the top and bottom of the frame really not that much removal is necessary, keep the angle pretty steep to just knock off the corner of the frame rail. . then put the sawzall or angle grinder, I used a sawzall on it.. no big deal at all/ the back of the frame rails are open from the factory ( mine are capped now) so not sure how big a deal capping them is. I don't think the frame is compromised at all with this cut, but I will cap it when I get a little time. you can take a little off then try it and if its not enough take a little more by changing the angle of the cut. but like you I wasn't looking forward to it, but looking at it, it was really nothing.... I think you will really like the 28's

Cool deal. Thanks I will post pic when I have new tires on.

S

slacker

Feb 21, 2015
I ran some pretty heavy mud this weekend and was happy with the 28's they are a very good fit for this rig. I did notice some pull on the engine in the deeper mud but I think that's more due to the traction the megas get than the over all size of them , but I still ran in 2 or 3rd most of the time and 4 th or 5th on better sections. .. onlygoing to low once when climbing a steep levee bank and it crawled right up, probably could have used 2nd fine. thanks to the size of this rig I was able to drive right up to downed game, something the others in bigger rigs couldn't do..
Ml buck

bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Pay to Play and I'm broke all around!
Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
I have the same tires on my 700-4 and I love them!!

Reactions: p500fan
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
That's awesome. Congrats

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!