P1000 Thinking on using my iPad mini for navigation?

Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
GAIA Premium maps program.
Samsung A7 10.4 Tablet
Ram mount holder and mounts
Works great. Good visibility on the run in all conditions.
JMO

20211030 121134

Last edited:
Doug_Jones

Doug_Jones

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2018
Sapulpa, Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I use an iPad mini that doesn't have GPS but easily solved by purchasing a gps receiver that bluetooths to the mini. The receiver is tiny, about the size of a silver dollar, and Velcro's to the dash. I like the Avenza for maps, but there are lots of choices for the iPad.

Reactions: Lady01
A

a94cobra

Dec 28, 2021
TX
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
Is that Boss controller pretty good?

I've been looking for something to throw tunes in. But I been really wanting something with a volume knob. Buy in a smaller package like that.

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
I bought a new 6th gen Ipad Mini just to use for NAV in my SXS. I also use Gaia software and find it to be very good, but I still struggle to figure out some of the things from time to time.

For instance: I recently went to the software and tried to do a search on both the Arizona Peace Trail and the RimRocker trail. It didn't seem to pull up either of them. The fix was to go to the respective websites, download the map data and upload them to Gaia. Worked perfect.

When I got my Mini, I did the research on the GPS receivers. I've had them in the past, they work well and do exactly what they are supposed to do. What I don't like is, they sometimes don't connect to your device easily or stay connected, they have to be charged separately and they are another piece of equipment that can be a failure.

Rob

Reactions: Lady01 and CID
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R

For instance: I recently went to the software and tried to do a search on both the Arizona Peace Trail and the RimRocker trail. It didn't seem to pull up either of them. The fix was to go to the respective websites, download the map data and upload them to Gaia. Worked perfect.

Rob
fwiw: When I had that problem in the Utah backcountry it was because I had no signal, apparently GAIA needs the internet to use the search function. As soon as had signal, I was able to search the same places that I couldn't without signal. (iPad + GAIA)

Reactions: Lady01
Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Is that Boss controller pretty good?

I've been looking for something to throw tunes in. But I been really wanting something with a volume knob. Buy in a smaller package like that.
You will get a thousand opinions on the Boss stereo head unit, they are popular, cheap and widely used, here's mine.

I think there are volume knob heads in this style of receiver. JBL, JL Audio, Jensen, Kicker, infinity, ROckford Fosgate, ect.
Search Marine stereo.

For basic tunes -
Boss stereo is OK for Boss. It works fine. I use Polk speakers and they sound pretty good eventhough the Boss head doesn't push enough RMS power to them. I've not permanently added an amp yet. Waiting for what I want (NVX) to go on sale.

If I were to do it again, I'd go Jensen or step up to a better audio brand above, with better RMS per channel out wattage and CE certified specs, with a higher end amp.
JMO..

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!