P500 Third Oil Change

Saunch

Saunch

Sep 8, 2019
Canada
Ownership

1. 500
Just about to do the 3rd oil change and debating on switching to synthetic. To be clear, I will only ever use the Honda branded oils as I know the spec will be a perfect match for the machine (and yes I know Honda doesn't make oil). So my debate is whether to go with the Honda synthetic or stay with the HP4. I thought I saw something about they will burn a bit of oil if you go with synthetic. As we all know, the bike shifts a bit smoother right after an fresh oil change. So that's why I am debating synthetic as maybe it will keep the smooth shifting longer. Thoughts?

F

Fischer

Dec 22, 2019
The woods
Ownership

1. 500
Just about to do the 3rd oil change and debating on switching to synthetic. To be clear, I will only ever use the Honda branded oils as I know the spec will be a perfect match for the machine (and yes I know Honda doesn't make oil). So my debate is whether to go with the Honda synthetic or stay with the HP4. I thought I saw something about they will burn a bit of oil if you go with synthetic. As we all know, the bike shifts a bit smoother right after an fresh oil change. So that's why I am debating synthetic as maybe it will keep the smooth shifting longer. Thoughts?
My opinion is stick with gn4 that's what I use. They are not a high performance engine. Why worry about oil usage with synthetic, just another thing to deal with. Gn4 is proven to work well. I was pondering the same situation as you a while back and stuck with gn4. Even with synthetic Honda oil change intervals stay the same. 600 miles or 100 hours. I believe in synthetics in certain applications, pioneer 500 not being one. Only an opinion.

F

Fischer

Dec 22, 2019
The woods
Ownership

1. 500
Also hp4s is synthetic gn4 is not.

Reactions: Smitty335
Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Unless run really hard, or it's really cold where you live, synthetic is not going to give you much of advantage.

It's still going to get dirty just as quick, and need to be changed just as often.

NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
I used synthetic for a little while but I was adding oil every time I took the machine out. Was easily adding a quart every 150 miles. I switched back to conventional and the oil consumption stopped.

Saunch

Saunch

Sep 8, 2019
Canada
Ownership

1. 500
My opinion is stick with gn4 that's what I use. They are not a high performance engine. Why worry about oil usage with synthetic, just another thing to deal with. Gn4 is proven to work well. I was pondering the same situation as you a while back and stuck with gn4. Even with synthetic Honda oil change intervals stay the same. 600 miles or 100 hours. I believe in synthetics in certain applications, pioneer 500 not being one. Only an opinion.
Thanks. Pretty much my same train of though thanks again

Saunch

Saunch

Sep 8, 2019
Canada
Ownership

1. 500
I used synthetic for a little while but I was adding oil every time I took the machine out. Was easily adding a quart every 150 miles. I switched back to conventional and the oil consumption stopped.
Good to know - not something I want to deal with either. thanks for the input!

Reactions: Lochsa88
Saunch

Saunch

Sep 8, 2019
Canada
Ownership

1. 500
Unless run really hard, or it's really cold where you live, synthetic is not going to give you much of advantage.

It's still going to get dirty just as quick, and need to be changed just as often.
thanks - agree, frequency of changes is as important.

Reactions: Jerryg
Rustneversleeps

Rustneversleeps

Oct 30, 2018
Talon,New Brunswick,Canada
Ownership

1. 500
mine is doing the same thing..
mine you i have 9400 miles on the bike and occasional high speed runs under 40 mph i guess that doesn't help.. i might change back to GN4 also see if it helps. was also using T6 for a while now. i also added 1/2 quart to a 160 mile run.. sucks

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!