Those with toy haulers, please advise me!

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
The wife and I are considering buying a toy hauler. Trouble is, I've never owned a camping trailer of any kind and don't really know the red flags, the must haves, the do's, the dont's, etc.

I'm leaning towards a 5th wheel around 20-30 feet I think. Must have a generator (what is considered "a lot" of hours on an RV generator?) and canopy. Not wanting to go over $20,000. I've found a few used ones that meet my criteria and a few new ones that almost do. But I have no clue what is a "good" brand and what's crap.

I know a lot of you here have toy haulers so please, enlighten me!

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
In my experience, it can be hit and miss on getting a bad one. Some I deliver are literally fallIng apart inside right from factory. I guess even the Amish rush things on Fridays. Beyond how well built, more importantly is how well maintained a used one has been. Get one that s been sitting in the sun 365 days a year that's 5 years old or more the roof could give out anytime and start leaking, the septic tanks if not kept clean properly can be a PITA to rectify once dried out with "stuff" sitting in it. Finally any hint of mold or mice run away as fast as you can. Generators figure under 50 hrs per year of age is lightly used, any Cummins Onan Generator should be good for a few thousand hours if maintained.

Look for used ones stored inside for you best bet.

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've seen some videos showing Jayco's to be total POS. Many falling apart and fairly new. If possible get something with an arctic package for better insulation. Look at where they were made too. Tons of reviews on YouTube

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Truck camper and modified cargo trailer...

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
This is what I know about toy haulers:

I have a 1998 26' Weekend warrior.
Lots of people have only bad things to say about WW.
They had a big class action lawsuit claiming the frames where too weak.
I haven't had that issue with mine, the main frame rails are a 6" C channel that runs continuous from the hitch to the rear cross frame.

What I have had issues with is the particle board.
Particle board will absorb moisture and fall apart.
I got the floor wet under the linoleum when the front cladding separated driving in a rain storm.
This has proven to be fatal.
The walls sit on the floor and there is no practical way to fix it.

In my opinion, a stick built trailer is good for 10 years with regular maintenance.
I got 17 years with mine, it's now retired waiting for me to figure out to dump it or fix it (not sure I want to tackle that).
Next trailer is going to be aluminum.
VRV :
VRV Toy Hauler Models | Floorplans, Pricing, Details, and More.
or Livin Lite
QuickSilver Ultra Lightweight Toy Hauler Floorplans & Photos | Livin’ Lite
These things are mega expensive, hope there worth it.

Floor plan.
I like the front bath open floor plan (this is a very western states kind of thing but works for me).
Kind of leads to communal living but you can maximize what you bring with you.
There are some issues with smelling fumes.
I drain the gas tank and carb (no need if fuel injected) and bag the tail pipe (sandwich bag and a zip tie).
This way if you want to bring more than your Pioneer it will fit.
Here's a picture with a Pilot, Odyssey and 2 mid size ATV stuffed inside it.
Upload 2017 5 23 22 8 56

That's my 2 yen worth, your results may vary.

J

JTW

This is what I know about toy haulers:

I have a 1998 26' Weekend warrior.
Lots of people have only bad things to say about WW.
They had a big class action lawsuit claiming the frames where too weak.
I haven't had that issue with mine, the main frame rails are a 6" C channel that runs continuous from the hitch to the rear cross frame.

What I have had issues with is the particle board.
Particle board will absorb moisture and fall apart.
I got the floor wet under the linoleum when the front cladding separated driving in a rain storm.
This has proven to be fatal.
The walls sit on the floor and there is no practical way to fix it.

In my opinion, a stick built trailer is good for 10 years with regular maintenance.
I got 17 years with mine, it's now retired waiting for me to figure out to dump it or fix it (not sure I want to tackle that).
Next trailer is going to be aluminum.
VRV :
VRV Toy Hauler Models | Floorplans, Pricing, Details, and More.
or Livin Lite
QuickSilver Ultra Lightweight Toy Hauler Floorplans & Photos | Livin’ Lite
These things are mega expensive, hope there worth it.

Floor plan.
I like the front bath open floor plan (this is a very western states kind of thing but works for me).
Kind of leads to communal living but you can maximize what you bring with you.
There are some issues with smelling fumes.
I drain the gas tank and carb (no need if fuel injected) and bag the tail pipe (sandwich bag and a zip tie).
This way if you want to bring more than your Pioneer it will fit.
Here's a picture with a Pilot, Odyssey and 2 mid size ATV stuffed inside it.
View attachment 44415

That's my 2 yen worth, your results may vary.
That's a good piece of info to think about!!

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
I've owned several. My opinion is that they are all crap. You just have to try to get one that doesn't have any existing issues and be gentle with it.
Your budget and description suggest that you are going to buy an average quality used unit.

Check all the appliances. A/C, Stove, Fridge, Water Heater, Lights, Back ramp/gate, etc... Check the awning (if it has one).

Very important, look for signs of water. Look at the ceiling everywhere. Feel around the door jam and slide outs. Look around each window for stains. Walk away from any unit that has leaked.

Slide outs are nice. Very nice. You cannot have too much room.

Electric awnings, electric jacks and LED lighting are the best improvements I've seen in recent models.

Good luck, I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Most of the newer ones are smooth skinned on the outside, instead of the old siding styles. The skin is laminated to a thin piece of wood, so check for any sign of bubbles or separation because there is a good possibility of water entering somewhere. We bought a used 2004 5th wheel about 3 years ago and after doing some looking, the pin box was cracked. I had to take the under belly down and reweld and gusset the whole frame. About that year is when they went to SUPER light metal and there has been quite a few that have cracked. Not to big of a deal but the web is full of horror stories. Like everything, including Honda SXS's the quality has gone down on, but your first impression is usually right. If it looks good, it probably is, and if it looks bad then stay away.

Koda

Koda

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2016
Canton Ga
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a 2006 Forest River Work and Play that I bought new in 2005. I did a lot of research when purchasing and found these to best suit my needs. These trailers are basically cargo trailers with living quarters. They are designed to carry loads. They also have an aluminum roof which is basically maintenance free unlike most of the others with rubber. Very pleased with the trailer just wish it was a little bigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I've been looking at these quite a bit lately myself. Forest River makes a decent toy hauler. Quick Silver's are really nice but really expensive due to being all aluminum. Winnebago is making one now called the Spyder but, once again, very expensive. The one that has my eye right now is the Shock Wave or Stealth. Both are made by Forest River and have some extras that you don't get with the Work and Play. Two batteries, a battery switch to kill them when sitting long periods, 4000 watt on board generator, 200 watt solar panel, tankless hot water system, 120 gallon fresh water storage, 40 gallon on board fueling station, retractable ladder, rear gate assist and extra insulation around the tanks. I saw a 2016 for $20k but that is for a 19' er. The bigger ones may have more but I'm sure will cost more. This trailer is set up for boon docking, which is what I'm looking for. Totally self sufficient out in the middle of nowhere. Good luck T and let us know what you come up with.

D

DrAgon

Feb 9, 2017
BC Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a Jayco Octane T26Y. It's been a decent RV, a few small issues but nothing major to note yet. I've had it new since 2011, onan generator on board has worked without a hitch. The P1000-5 just fits.

IMG 2141 IMG 2142 IMG 2143 IMG 2144 IMG 2145

Rayrule

Rayrule

Lifetime Member
Apr 1, 2017
Catskills Mts. NY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My son raced MX full time & have had 3 toy haulers since 2007. The last 2 were 5th wheels. A 2008 Keystone Fuzion & traded up to a 44' Cyclone. The Fuzion is a sister to the Raptor which both are good quality. We did a lot of dry camping at the tracks & I had 1100 hrs. on the generator when I traded & it still ran like a top. That's a lot of hours, so it's like anything else...if it's maintained. I have seen several newer toyhaulers than mine that were beat to crap & not taken care of.
I guess when you look at used, you can tell if the camper has been maintained. Look for water damage as stated above. Also look at the ramp where the hinges bolt to the door, another spot prone to hidden water damage. Check the floor in the garage portion for spongy / soft spots. Look underneath at the sheathing (is it intact?) & sagging holding tanks & their mounting cross members.
Forest River makes good toy haulers especially the Work & Play. As Lee mentioned Weekend Warriors had a lot of problems, but his was one of the few that I heard of that lasted this long. Key word "well maintained "!
There are a lot of decent rigs out there. I guess when you find one you should be able to tell if it was taken care of or not. Do some online research
GOOD LUCK on your search!

Lynn1130

Lynn1130

Jun 22, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-4
This is mine. I bought it new 6 years ago and it has been stored in covered parking all of it's life. If I were buying a used I would not even look at something that had been stored outside and not maintained. There is a lot of work to keeping these things up. Roof seals that are not checked and repaired yearly, windows, seams and doors that are not checked and sealed yearly are all a no go. Mine is larger than you are looking for and has an garage. An open floor plan that has not been cared for will mean gas and oil smell in the entire trailer. Look at the finish. Is it faded with decals pealing. Probably not what you want. Mine gets an entire detail with a good polymer every year and even more often if I can get to it. Where was it used? On the coast? Salt damage! At the dunes every weekend. Not what I would be looking for. My generator has an average of 60 hours a year on it but I also dry camp and hunt back country most of the trips I make. That is still a low number for a generator that old. Oh, how does the genny run? If it has set with gas in it for any length of time it can be an expensive repair. I give mine a solid diet of SeaFoam. It runs like a champ.

You cannot get around problems with trailers but finding one that someone loved and cared for is the trick and will mean looking for a long time and at many trailers, or just buying new but I can tell you that is not cure for problems. These things still come with issues and a good PDI (preowner check list) is very important. You can find them online to use when buying.

I suggest talking with people you know or run into who have one and asked questions and look, long and hard before you buy.

IMG 0167

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I have a Keystone Carbon 357 with Onan generator and a 11' separate garage that is just big enough for a P1K5 and rear bath witch is nice when your filthy coming in from outside or when you have guest staying with you. All of the info that has ben presented is excellent guidelines to go by so my input would be the same and just a repeat. One thing I will add is that I use a high quality cover on mine in the winter and check the roof frequently and all the seals. So if someone is using a good cover and you inspect it and everything checks out, should be ok also Debd03cac8b83388342028dce3c0ce725dc2a433cde269b1182a354d60b30d62C0431ff5403bc58aa7847f198a01bf44Afd498d705b8ab2669739a7ecb5fc001

Last edited:
100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm going simple with my all aluminum Slide in-pop up, Four Wheel Camper Hawk and pulling a flatbed trailer. If I could go another way, it would be to modify a well made cargo trailer into a living quarters/toy hauler. I'm in the process of beefing up my current P5 conveyance. I just switched to an Axel with brakes and I'd like to mount a heavy duty steel box in the front to securely carry my extra gear. Like this Knaack Box. 3rd picture is to show camper popped up. It's not huge inside but its good enough for the dog and I. FWC campers are the Lightest truck camper on the market and hold the highest resale value over any other make. Like the name says, they're designed to be driven off road. Mine has seen some crazy Jeep trails...the roof is one piece aluminum. Very High quality campers!
IMG 0356
783965004565 05203855
Fullsizeoutput 1c4

Last edited:
Lynn1130

Lynn1130

Jun 22, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-4
It looks good. I would see if Forest River has a web site that owners check in to and see what kind of feedback they give.

Reactions: Tflynn
nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Anyone know if a 1000-5 will fit in a 10' garage?

Reactions: moparornocar

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!