P500 Thoughts after performing my first P500 maintenance

Keebler

Keebler

Nov 1, 2020
St Charles, Mo
Ownership

1. 500
A few thoughts after doing my first oil change and air filter cleaning: I can't believe the number of those annoying plastic pop fasteners, The Honda tool kit is a joke once you get the darn thing open, I now understand why people say to take off the skid plate when you drain oil, oil filters on motorcycle are much easier because you don;t have to be a contortionist, the air filter on the P500 gets dirty much faster than on a dirtbike, did mention those annoying plastic pop fasteners!

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Sounds like you were fighting it. I've been there and it sucks when you're unfamiIiar with what you're working on. The push pins are actually genius, otherwise they'd all be bolts and like dropping the skids which really does suck. With the right tool and having done it a few times you can be under the seat plastics in mins.

Panel tool

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
I use a straight screwdriver without much drama. But I don't usually know what to do after that!

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
I cut an access hole under the passenger seat like described in the linked thread. A Triggershield covers the cut out.

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
I agree, getting into those tight spaces can be a chore and like mentioned above, buying the right tool makes it a bit more enjoyable. Personally, I clean the unit very well a day or two ahead of work and let it dry before any maintenance to avoid all the dirt dropping in my face, etc., and makes the experience better.

ShotgunClay

ShotgunClay

Mar 13, 2018
Founders Ranch New Mexico
Ownership

1. 500
I've got both the fork type and plier type removers. Spare pins are good to have, because they eventually get messed up. Oil change on the 500 gets easier, but not really faster. I've done mine about 7 times.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!