P1000 Tire/rim upgrade questions.

Alaska350

Alaska350

Feb 17, 2021
Anchorage, AK
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
What’s the biggest tire I can run stock?

haha no, not asking that. What I am curious about is what are everyone’s thoughts on the below upgrade options I’m looking at.

My 2021 Pioneer 1000 has had a lot of upgrades already installed that add alot of weight. I want to go a different route for the wheel set. Because I installed alot bigger tires that are very grabby the dealership recommended only running in low gear to avoid clutch issues…..even in low at least two times I have felt the machine almost not be able to turn the tires when trying to get unstuck and this was not in thick mud, it was a gravel river bed and in snow.

The other reason is I would like to be change it up is I would like to run in high gear and really like the look of 10” wide tires all the way around. So thinking to just use the stock 14 rims go down a tire size to terrabites 28x10x14 all the way around. OR buy some 15” talon rims with terrabites 28x10x15….this option intrigues me because it allows the possibility of using small truck/suv tires.

what do you guys think?

Upgraded currently installed:
Full OEM hard cab with heat
Homemade rear canopy for my dogs.
Winch and front hitch set up
SuperATV a-arms front and back
814s 3 ways
29” maxxis 521s
Homemade snorkel
Dual battery setup
LED lights mounted to windshield
0A9DF401 92F4 471D 86A8 B96B2424D037

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
What’s the biggest tire I can run stock?

haha no, not asking that. What I am curious about is what are everyone’s thoughts on the below upgrade options I’m looking at.

My 2021 Pioneer 1000 has had a lot of upgrades already installed that add alot of weight. I want to go a different route for the wheel set. Because I installed alot bigger tires that are very grabby the dealership recommended only running in low gear to avoid clutch issues…..even in low at least two times I have felt the machine almost not be able to turn the tires when trying to get unstuck and this was not in thick mud, it was a gravel river bed and in snow.

The other reason is I would like to be change it up is I would like to run in high gear and really like the look of 10” wide tires all the way around. So thinking to just use the stock 14 rims go down a tire size to terrabites 28x10x14 all the way around. OR buy some 15” talon rims with terrabites 28x10x15….this option intrigues me because it allows the possibility of using small truck/suv tires.

what do you guys think?

Upgraded currently installed:
Full OEM hard cab with heat
Homemade rear canopy for my dogs.
Winch and front hitch set up
SuperATV a-arms front and back
814s 3 ways
29” maxxis 521s
Homemade snorkel
Dual battery setup
LED lights mounted to windshield
View attachment 369752
Nice ride, I like that camo pattern.

Them tires don't look that crazy where you'd have to run in low all the time. If you're in thick mud or real slushy snow etc. you should try to be in low but there's no reason not to be in high when you can.

As far as they stock wheels with 10" tires all around......you can do it but the side profile will be different between the fronts and rears due to the different wheel with/offsets.

If you want to run LTs then 15" rims will afford you way more options then 14s.

Most people do aftermarket wheels with a 5+2 offset and a 1" spacer on the rear to even the track a bit. This way you can rotate your tires if needed.....(stock wheels can not be rotated front to back)

Good luck

Alaska350

Alaska350

Feb 17, 2021
Anchorage, AK
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Nice ride, I like that camo pattern.

Them tires don't look that crazy where you'd have to run in low all the time. If you're in thick mud or real slushy snow etc. you should try to be in low but there's no reason not to be in high when you can.

As far as they stock wheels with 10" tires all around......you can do it but the side profile will be different between the fronts and rears due to the different wheel with/offsets.

If you want to run LTs then 15" rims will afford you way more options then 14s.

Most people do aftermarket wheels with a 5+2 offset and a 1" spacer on the rear to even the track a bit. This way you can rotate your tires if needed.....(stock wheels can not be rotated front to back)

Good luck
Height wise they measure around 31.5 if I recall when I first installed them. That may be why it had issues trying to turn them but even then I was never in thick mud or slushy snow.

Rayger143

Rayger143

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 5, 2020
Winfield, BC Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you are running stock rims with same size tires all around you will be at different heights front to rear. If your tires are still good I would get same rims all around to even it out. This may be why it feels like you need to be in low range. I would do exactly what @JenElio said.

Reactions: JenElio
R

RedorDead

Jan 3, 2023
USA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know four identical tires is a popular choice-I’ve done it. However I’ve come around to preferring to remain with stock wheel and wider tires on the rear. In general, although there are certainly use cases that I would choose differently.

My thinking is the wider rear gets a better grip in the narrow rut from the front. And the steering remains light.

Alaska350

Alaska350

Feb 17, 2021
Anchorage, AK
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
If you are running stock rims with same size tires all around you will be at different heights front to rear. If your tires are still good I would get same rims all around to even it out. This may be why it feels like you need to be in low range. I would do exactly what @JenElio said.
Sorry, I don’t follow. Do you mean width instead of height. Surely the height should be the same if the tire height dims are identical. I have 29x9x14 on front and 29x11x14 on the rear so the height should match. Same goes for 28x10x14 all the way around….only difference is the rear would need 1 spacers to track right but even then I don’t understand how that would make it feel like it needs to be in low.

differnt rim widths shouldn’t translate to different heights right?

Rayger143

Rayger143

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 5, 2020
Winfield, BC Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sorry, I don’t follow. Do you mean width instead of height. Surely the height should be the same if the tire height dims are identical. I have 29x9x14 on front and 29x11x14 on the rear so the height should match. Same goes for 28x10x14 all the way around….only difference is the rear would need 1 spacers to track right but even then I don’t understand how that would make it feel like it needs to be in low.

Ok. I didn’t realize you were running different sizes front and rear. I thought your 29s were the same size all around on stock rims.

JenElio

JenElio

Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Kinda........a 6" wheel with a 9"W tire is equal height to a 8" wheel with a 11"W tire.......a 6" wheel with a 10"W tire will not be exactly the same height as a 8" wheel with a 10"W tire.

The tire has to stretch it's width more on the 8" wheel then on the 6" wheel therefore making it a bit lower aspect ratio. Also, the skinnier wheel will have a bigger sidewall bulge then the wider rears.......they will both work, just an aesthetic thing

Reactions: Rayger143
Alaska350

Alaska350

Feb 17, 2021
Anchorage, AK
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Kinda........a 6" wheel with a 9"W tire is equal height to a 8" wheel with a 11"W tire.......a 6" wheel with a 10"W tire will not be exactly the same height as a 8" wheel with a 10"W tire.

The tire has to stretch it's width more on the 8" wheel then on the 6" wheel therefore making it a bit lower aspect ratio. Also, the skinnier wheel will have a bigger sidewall bulge then the wider rears.......they will both work, just an aesthetic thing
Surely the wider rears account for this?!? All new ATVs and UTVs mostly come with wider tires and rims on the rear but same size inch rims. Wouldn't different tire heights damage the drivetrain gears when in 4x4 due to different ratios??

JenElio

JenElio

Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Surely the wider rears account for this?!? All new ATVs and UTVs mostly come with wider tires and rims on the rear but same size inch rims. Wouldn't different tire heights damage the drivetrain gears when in 4x4 due to different ratios??
Yes, they account for the wider wheels by putting wider tires........8" wheel with an 11"W tire......6" wheel with a 9"W tire......they don't have same width tires on different width wheels. Like i said, it'll work (nothing wrong with it) it's just an aesthetics thing. Some people don't care some are too OCD to live with it. No biggie

JenElio

JenElio

Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Not if it's such a small difference in my opinion, when you're off road there's always some loss of traction (kinda the same rotational difference when the tires are a smidge off in height)

.......but, I'm no expert by any means 👍

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!