P500 Tires sizes or how much more confused can I get

Bushbaby

Bushbaby

Mar 25, 2018
Elliot Lake Ontario, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
I have read and reread many threads here about tires and rims. Everyone has likes and dislikes which I appreciate but it makes it hard for me to choose. Last week I went for my first ride - a 63Km (40m) over creek crossings (only left foot got wet), smooth sandy forestry roads, really gnarly hills - steep with big rocks and intimidating boulders, a few mud holes and some fancy steering (straddling) along and around some deep trenches with some pucker power involved. I also bottomed out a few times on big rocks. From what the club members tell me this is standard trail riding in this neck of the woods. Toughest 5 hours I've spent in years!

I am now convinced of two things - I'm cranking the shocks up to the fourth notch from the second and buying a bigger set of tires. I want to keep the original Honda rims and would like to mount Bighorn 1's on them in the 26x9x12 on the front and 26x12x12 on the rear. I don't want to use spacers. Am I on the right track? TIA for comments/advise/etc it will all be appreciated.

Bill

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
On the right track . I was avoiding spacers due to our 50" trails . I decided to give the 1.5 spacers a try figuring if they caused a problem I would just take them off . They made a great decrease in pucker factor traversing deep rutted trails and side hills . So much more stable AND I still fit through every 50" barrier without a problem .

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I have read and reread many threads here about tires and rims. Everyone has likes and dislikes which I appreciate but it makes it hard for me to choose. Last week I went for my first ride - a 63Km (40m) over creek crossings (only left foot got wet), smooth sandy forestry roads, really gnarly hills - steep with big rocks and intimidating boulders, a few mud holes and some fancy steering (straddling) along and around some deep trenches with some pucker power involved. I also bottomed out a few times on big rocks. From what the club members tell me this is standard trail riding in this neck of the woods. Toughest 5 hours I've spent in years!

I am now convinced of two things - I'm cranking the shocks up to the fourth notch from the second and buying a bigger set of tires. I want to keep the original Honda rims and would like to mount Bighorn 1's on them in the 26x9x12 on the front and 26x12x12 on the rear. I don't want to use spacers. Am I on the right track? TIA for comments/advise/etc it will all be appreciated.

Bill

You could do that stuff to it but I wouldn't want to ride it. Going to 26's and no spacers on stock wheels will give it way more pucker factor. Careful cranking the preload on the shocks, makes it ride rougher and harder to handle.

J

JTW

I think 26 or even a 27 will suit you well in the BH originals. The more sidewall the better the ride. It’s gunna be tippy regardless. Also, you can go with the same size tire on all four with no issue. If you do decide to do aftermarket wheels down the road, then you can rotate and have a same size spare for all 4 corners. One more thing... If you haven’t already, pull the sway bar!!

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I think 26 or even a 27 will suit you well in the BH originals. The more sidewall the better the ride. It’s gunna be tippy regardless. Also, you can go with the same size tire on all four with no issue. If you do decide to do aftermarket wheels down the road, then you can rotate and have a same size spare for all 4 corners. One more thing... If you haven’t already, pull the sway bar!!
Hey...its only about 4 degrees tippier than a 1000!:D

Bushbaby

Bushbaby

Mar 25, 2018
Elliot Lake Ontario, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
A sincere thank you to all who have replied and gave me the benefit of their experience. If I understand all the comments it's do not change the shock preload and instead try the tires alone? I didn't realize that getting another inch or so of ground clearance would increase the tippiness that much so I now understand the popularity of the spacers. I don't have a 50" width restriction so I have to figure out how big the spacers have to be to counteract any increased tendency to tip over. Now I'm really into unknown territory. When you say "1.5" does this number refer to the thickness of the spacer? Also does this modification/addition have any effect on the Honda warranty? Sorry for all the questions guys but I'm a 70 plus nub trying to get things right without breaking the bank or myself. :(

Reactions: JTW
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Have 27x 9 and 12 wide (f/r) on 5+2, and as they stick out and throw mud up sides/cab, added some mud blaster fenders. If I did it agIn, would look for a lesser tire width that would not stick out so far, but still get the job done, and same size all around. 50 in restricted trails where I ride. Keep stock tires to swap out during warranty if needed, but betting the P500 will be trouble free. 60 y/o nub here!

E9C76F23 51B1 43DC B27F A5252DC7C6D3 622F16B4 981D 4151 8CA2 A0FCD3647ED7

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 3748

A sincere thank you to all who have replied and gave me the benefit of their experience. If I understand all the comments it's do not change the shock preload and instead try the tires alone? I didn't realize that getting another inch or so of ground clearance would increase the tippiness that much so I now understand the popularity of the spacers. I don't have a 50" width restriction so I have to figure out how big the spacers have to be to counteract any increased tendency to tip over. Now I'm really into unknown territory. When you say "1.5" does this number refer to the thickness of the spacer? Also does this modification/addition have any effect on the Honda warranty? Sorry for all the questions guys but I'm a 70 plus nub trying to get things right without breaking the bank or myself. :(
I went with 26x10x12 tires all the way around so I could rotate them and extend their life.

I didn't use stock wheels and went with aftermarket wheels with a 5+2 offset. This widens my stance by 2". I don't remember what the stock offset is. You can use spacers to widen the machine or you can compare the cost of spacers to the cost of new wheels. I would consider using both but the cost of spacers offends me. :D

Capture

The ride of my machine improved greatly because of the radial tire and taller sidewall. The tippiness didn't change one bit. I drive accordingly and haven't had any problems.

Removing the sway bar is a choice. I ride with a lot of bigger machines and frequently find myself heading into corners at 35-40 mph when trying to keep up. I'm not removing the anti-sway bar because it saves my ass in those situations. If you aren't riding hard at high speeds (for the P500) then I hear that removing the sway bar is a big improvement.

If I could do it again, I would get the 27" tire and something lighter than the Rip Saws I chose.

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
I went with 26x10x12 tires all the way around so I could rotate them and extend their life.

I didn't use stock wheels and went with aftermarket wheels with a 5+2 offset. This widens my stance by 2". I don't remember what the stock offset is. You can use spacers to widen the machine or you can compare the cost of spacers to the cost of new wheels. I would consider using both but the cost of spacers offends me. :D

View attachment 76215

The ride of my machine improved greatly because of the radial tire and taller sidewall. The tippiness didn't change one bit. I drive accordingly and haven't had any problems.

Removing the sway bar is a choice. I ride with a lot of bigger machines and frequently find myself heading into corners at 35-40 mph when trying to keep up. I'm not removing the anti-sway bar because it saves my ass in those situations. If you aren't riding hard at high speeds (for the P500) then I hear that removing the sway bar is a big improvement.

If I could do it again, I would get the 27" tire and something lighter than the Rip Saws I chose.

Why lighter tires ? I have Rip Saws on my RZR and they are 10lbs heavier than the stock tires . That being said , they do not effect top speed or take off that I can notice at all . The weight does concern me . Was thinking when the 26 s I have on the P5 need replaced I would go with the saws but after weighing them , I'm not so sure .

Reactions: DG Rider
HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Yes that is the thickness of the spacers . The warranty is so short I wouldn't worry about it but if you a axle/bearing or something in that area that may be a warranty issue just pop off the spacers .

Reactions: Bushbaby
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Why lighter tires ? I have Rip Saws on my RZR and they are 10lbs heavier than the stock tires . That being said , they do not effect top speed or take off that I can notice at all . The weight does concern me . Was thinking when the 26 s I have on the P5 need replaced I would go with the saws but after weighing them , I'm not so sure .
Wow...just thinking about Ripsaws on a 500 makes my back hurt.

D

Deleted member 3748

They'd be fine on a rzr, but maybe a bit much for the p5. I'll probably never have a flat though, and if I did I may not notice.

Reactions: lee
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The lighter the unsprung weight is, the better the suspension works.

Reactions: Backwoods
C

Chuckerbird

Lifetime Member
May 26, 2017
Battle Mountain, NV.
Ownership

1. 500
I really like my rip saws. They have always brought me home. Even from places I shouldn't have gone to.

Reactions: Smitty335
G

GreenBush

Jun 3, 2018
The Motor City !!
Ownership

1. 500
You could do that stuff to it but I wouldn't want to ride it. Going to 26's and no spacers on stock wheels will give it way more pucker factor. Careful cranking the preload on the shocks, makes it ride rougher and harder to handle.

Hmm....never thought to look on mine but the preloads on mine are cranked all the way up....

Where do most guys keep 'em ??

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!