P500 To half windshield or not... that is the question.

pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
I finally got to spend a little time in the woods with this thing, my sister has 40 acres to explore and the thickets and locust (thorn) trees were bad, I ran over and drove through a lot of trees to make a trail. I don't see how a half windshield would have helped in any way today. On the plus side this thing in stock form is really a little beast. I did break a front fender flare down low.

I am trying to decide of a half windshield is even worth getting for a machine that will rarely see 35mph? Is it most advantageous on gravel/dusty roads?

This is the windshield I am considering because it lets you open the hood while installed, but I don't like the clamps and I am unsure if it will be right in the line of sight or not. The seller is not the best salesperson in the world because I have asked him twice how much is above the bend, and his answer is "I don't know, we don't have a P5 here"... sigh..cant you just measure a windshield and tell me?

Do you feel it adds any real benefit?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00R51A56Q/?tag=sxsweb24-20

iowaguy

iowaguy

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2014
Eastern Iowa
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I finally got to spend a little time in the woods with this thing, my sister has 40 acres to explore and the thickets and locust (thorn) trees were bad, I ran over and drove through a lot of trees to make a trail. I don't see how a half windshield would have helped in any way today. On the plus side this thing in stock form is really a little beast. I did break a front fender flare down low.

I am trying to decide of a half windshield is even worth getting for a machine that will rarely see 35mph? Is it most advantageous on gravel/dusty roads?

This is the windshield I am considering because it lets you open the hood while installed, but I don't like the clamps and I am unsure if it will be right in the line of sight or not. The seller is not the best salesperson in the world because I have asked him twice how much is above the bend, and his answer is "I don't know, we don't have a P5 here"... sigh..cant you just measure a windshield and tell me?

Amazon.com: Honda Pioneer 500 Half Windshield (Does not fit 700 or 1000). 15 1/2" Tall **Tallest on the market** (we make shorter upon request let us know at time of order). Made in America **FREE SHIPPING**: Automotive
I have the OEM 1/2 windshield on ours, We use it on trails where we run 20+ miles per hour, my wife refuses to ride without it, it cuts down on the wind and bugs in our faces, but if we're going out for the day in the woods on trails not running higher than 3rd gear it does serve much use.Hope this helps to answer your question.Also welcome to the club.

Last edited:
scott

scott

Lifetime Member
May 16, 2014
lyman, South Carolina
I know you asked about a 1/2 windshield, but from everything you said, you would be a lot better off with a full windshield hard coat or glass. Plus it's really nice to have a full in the winter and rain.

Last edited:
pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
I briefly considered a full shield, but I think i would have scratched it up pretty bad yesterday in the thick heavy thorn bushes and I would not like to look through scratches.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500

I have the half windshield on mine and wouldn't go any other way. Considered a full but the first mud hole you go through will cover it and there is no wiper. I've only wiped mine down once as I know it will scratch easy. As stated, wind, bug and slight mud shield. I have the Honda one so I have to remove it for hood access but the two clamps take all of 30 seconds to detach.

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I have the half windshield on mine and wouldn't go any other way. Considered a full but the first mud hole you go through will cover it and there is no wiper. I've only wiped mine down once as I know it will scratch easy. As stated, wind, bug and slight mud shield. I have the Honda one so I have to remove it for hood access but the two clamps take all of 30 seconds to detach.
Got the honda full... tip out
so I tip it out...hood comes off

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500

I gotta honda one just like that...
it's way thicker plastic
for $75
You pay shipping

pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
I gotta honda one just like that...
it's way thicker plastic
for $75
You pay shipping
Whats your location? Has it been used? Shipping can be a the deal killer on large-ish boxes.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Got the honda full... tip out
so I tip it out...hood comes off
I considered going that route. Thought I might be wiping it off all the time. Bought this machine mainly for plowing and figured if it was snowing I'd be looking through the drips all the time. Anything you don't like about it?

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Whats your location? Has it been used? Shipping can be a the deal killer on large-ish boxes.
Live in nm
used for a week

advertisement
rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I considered going that route. Thought I might be wiping it off all the time. Bought this machine mainly for plowing and figured if it was snowing I'd be looking through the drips all the time. Anything you don't like about it?

Better than nothing
does block some cold wind....
but not all.....again does not
work like a full windshield
it's a wind deflector

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Can send...
via....Snail Mail
you decide

Reactions: trigger
rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500

Actually it works better at lower speeds

Amazon.com: Honda Pioneer 500 Half Windshield (Does not fit 700 or 1000). 15 1/2" Tall **Tallest on the market** (we make shorter upon request let us know at time of order). Made in America **FREE SHIPPING**: Automotive

cthack

cthack

Aug 17, 2015
Texarkana, Arkansas

This is the same windshield that I have on my rig. I live in the south and don't have the cold of the north. Works good to deflect mud, bugs, rocks and some dust, I even lean down when riding in rain and it keeps most of the rain off my face. I am 6'3", it is well below my sight line. The clamps are not the best. They hold the windshield on fine, but when you trailer at 70 mph it tends to migrate upward about an inch. A little bump when you arrive at your destination puts it in it's place.

Reactions: Montecresto
rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
This is the same windshield that I have on my rig. I live in the south and don't have the cold of the north. Works good to deflect mud, bugs, rocks and some dust, I even lean down when riding in rain and it keeps most of the rain off my face. I am 6'3", it is well below my sight line. The clamps are not the best. They hold the windshield on fine, but when you trailer at 70 mph it tends to migrate upward about an inch. A little bump when you arrive at your destination puts it in it's place.
K...kool
that one's wider
but mines thicker
plastic...much better
clamps on the Honda
one...

Shadesmn

Shadesmn

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2015
Ramsey, MN
Ownership

1. 500
K...kool
that one's wider
but mines thicker
plastic...much better
clamps on the Honda
one...
You still have that Honda one? I have a full on mine now cuz it is damn cold riding during hunting season and plowing, but it gets pretty hot in the summer without the open airflow. Thinking I might want to run a half in the warm season and switch to full in the cold.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I know you asked about a 1/2 windshield, but from everything you said, you would be a lot better off with a full windshield hard coat or glass. Plus it's really nice to have a full in the winter and rain.
Exactly, never saw the use of the half.

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
You still have that Honda one? I have a full on mine now cuz it is damn cold riding during hunting season and plowing, but it gets pretty hot in the summer without the open airflow. Thinking I might want to run a half in the warm season and switch to full in the cold.
Mines a tip out full
it's so dusty I leave mine
on yr round....

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Wat ever one ya go with
....make sure it's got
CLAMPS...
NOT "VELCO BRACKET"

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Dust...rain...wind
snow....
if it gets muddy
or dirty...pour bottle
of water on it...
it's gonna scratch....
I love my full tip out
( honda)

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!