P500 Too Steep?

D

Dschaffer

Dec 13, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. 520
Hey all. I took the 520 straight up a really steep hill today. As I neared the top/summit, it felt entirely possible that I was about to flip backwards for what would have been a very long and dangerous descent. Any thoughts on how to gauge what is too steep of an incline? I’ve found info about tipping over on the side but not much about tipping backwards/forwards. Thanks

Reactions: Morpheus
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Just go till u feel unsafe.
Every machines tipping point is different. Depends on what u have in it including u and your passengers. Only you can decide when it might tip.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Best way to gauge that stuff is with practice. Most trail systems have a scramble area with sand bowls and hills. I see you're from MI, Gladwin has one and so does St Helen. Take some time to climb steep little mounds, hit them sideways too to get a feel for tip. I've had the wife get out so I could do it. She's even asked "you're going to try that"? Figure it out where it's small and controlled.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
This turned me back for 2 years until I caught a Rzr and we both looked it over (I'm usually alone). He asked if I had a winch (yep) and he dove right off, turned around and came back up (on the third try). Since we were both in short wheelbase, two seaters, I followed suit. I downloaded an inclinometer to the iPad and had intended to use it 'to get an idea' of what I can/can't do but with a backup buggy, that wasn't necessary. I will go back and measure the angle for future climbs.

Note that I have 2 spares and that weight is trying to lever me over backward too.

'yer done' -
I zBJc9D7 XL

That climb is first up in this video, I'm surprised how flat it looks here, it's really steep, short but steep. :oops: I know they turtle over backwards at some point but I still don't have much of an idea when that is.

advertisement
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
For the curious, I have this one but it looks to be for the iPad.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
For the curious, I have this one but it looks to be for the iPad.
Prob irrelevant to some, but my Garmin Overlander does this On a separate screen and on a split screen. Kinda cool. To be honest with you, If im on the tip, I aint looking at that. If Im am Im sure to roll 😂

waynester

waynester

Feb 19, 2022
Ga, USA
Ownership

1. 520
This turned me back for 2 years until I caught a Rzr and we both looked it over (I'm usually alone). He asked if I had a winch (yep) and he dove right off, turned around and came back up (on the third try). Since we were both in short wheelbase, two seaters, I followed suit. I downloaded an inclinometer to the iPad and had intended to use it 'to get an idea' of what I can/can't do but with a backup buggy, that wasn't necessary. I will go back and measure the angle for future climbs.

Note that I have 2 spares and that weight is trying to lever me over backward too.

'yer done' -
View attachment 326248

That climb is first up in this video, I'm surprised how flat it looks here, it's really steep, short but steep. :oops: I know they turtle over backwards at some point but I still don't have much of an idea when that is.
Like very cool, my props to your ride. Besides that start seems a P520 could make that ride. Would that be an "easy" ride?

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Like very cool, my props to your ride. Besides that start seems a P520 could make that ride. Would that be an "easy" ride?
Thanks. :) A P520 could do most of what I ride, I'm not one of the hardcore, tear up my buggy kinda rider.
ogy.gif
An exception might be the extreme altitudes here in Colorado (not in the video) but guys have even ridden the Alpine Loop on 500's with altitudes over 12k feet.

MI-Trailblazer

MI-Trailblazer

Apr 4, 2019
Parma, MI
Ownership

1. 500
To add to this- the picture below is from out in Moab. This is a lead-in climb to the Skyline Drive trail off the Poison Spider Mesa and Gold Bar Rim trails. I stopped the P500 at the base and held my camera as horizontal as possible to snap this shot. The drove the P500 right up it.
94  first big rock face climb to get up to Skyline Drive trail

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!