P700 Took delivery of new P700-2 Deluxe....

S

SmokinJoe

Jan 28, 2017
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Last week my wife and I drove to Medford Oregon and picked up our new Pioneer 700-2 (deluxe). We also bought the hard top, back panel and half-windshield. Color is diver blue (we were unwilling to wait till the end of May for the camo version). We haven't driven it much because we've had weather, but so far we're satisfied. Power seems adequate. It's not too loud. Shifting from drive to reverse to neutral, etc., is a tad notchy but I hear that is normal until the machine gets some wear on it. We like the looks and the apparent quality of the machine a lot. The seating is comfortable, the cab roomy enough and the ride is decent. At first we were really taken with the 500, but I'm glad we went with the 700. The 500 would have been too small for our needs. We have a Can-Am dealer in out town and we looked closely at the Can-Am Commander but the Honda tranny (versus the Can-Am rubber-band set-up) convinced us to go with Honda, as well as their record of reliability and longevity, especially the Honda engine.

We're in our late 50s so we aren't looking for gobs of power or speed. That said, however, because I like to tinker, I plan on measuring performance carrying a 500 lb load up a grade and then re-measuring with a UNI filter and a 70mm RC airplane electric ducted fan installed and a Big Gun exhaust to see what kind of performance improvement is feasible. These little RC airplane ducted fans generate some hellacious thrust (10 lbs and more) and are very compact. (See link below, which is for an 80mm fan). I've taken some preliminary measurements and think I can fit the turbo fan in the air in-take path between the air filter and the intake (inside the air-cleaner box). It remains to be seen whether I will need to augment air flow into the air cleaner box. If so, I think I have a plan that will make for a clean, unobtrusive venting of additional air flow into the air-box. I'll set up a switch under the accelerator peddle that will actuate the boost fan when the engine is nearly at full-throttle (credit for the concept to Lynn, the gentleman who has already done this on his Pioneer 700). I might also have to install an auxillary battery. Haven't really thought-through the electrical engineering aspect of it yet. The goal is to have additional power and torque at my command if and when I need it. I could then keep the machine in low gear, goose it and trip the boost fan and get that additional power some say is lacking at altitude or on steep hills. We'll be riding at 7-8000' altitude from time to time so it might be desirable to have a little extra power at my command, if this ducted fan concept works out.

The plan also is to wear out the stock tires and then upgrade to 27", especially if this electric fan install gives a significant performance boost. Upgraded suspension would be nice, but it appears that is quite pricey.

My .02 worth.

Jetfan 80mm EDF Unit

Smokin Joe

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Welcome Joe. Sounds like you are off to a good start.I believe you will have many accessories to add in your future. Keep the details and pics coming

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!